post #901 of 1136 Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Did you try asking any of these questions regarding the Nevo in the remote control area of AVS? Lots of dealers in there.

Yup. I've been making a real pest of myself over at Remote Central and also have been in touch with people on the S70 thread on AVS. Just doesn't seem it can do the job--mainly because Olive's remote interface is only programed to work with the Nokia series. The screen on the S70 is the wrong shape. It almost surely will not be very clear when compressed on a screen that is not wider than it is high. Another example of very limited options with the Olive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1136 Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
gfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

gfd has an Opus 4, which does not have the VNC option.

I have used the VNC client on my iPhone to connect to some systems at work and it works great. As you say, though, as far as I know I cannot connect to my Opus 4 with it.

Gerry
post #903 of 1136 Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

I want to try something, and it turns out my recovery disk is blank.... not sure how that happened. Anyway, can anyone here with an Opus 4 do me a big favor and make an iso image of their recovery disk and upload it some where so I can download it and burn it to a disk? I can give you an ftp server address to upload it to if you need it. PM me for the details.

Thanks
post #904 of 1136 Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have no idea how to, but will if you walk me through it.
post #905 of 1136 Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

If it isn't formatted as FAT32, follow the instructions here

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

and you should be fine.

As my Opus4 is scheduled to show up on Monday, I finally got around to formatting my 1TB backup drive using the link zbrett posted. It only took about 5 minutes from reading the webpage to finishing the format operation. Thanks Z!
post #906 of 1136 Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Question...

My laptop is really filling up fast with music. I got an external hard drive that I have my music backed up onto (from computer not Olive), along with another copy on my computer.

I'd like to get some of this music off of my computer... Would you guys suggest getting another Hard Drive or is one safe enough?
post #907 of 1136 Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Question...

My laptop is really filling up fast with music. I got an external hard drive that I have my music backed up onto (from computer not Olive), along with another copy on my computer.

I'd like to get some of this music off of my computer... Would you guys suggest getting another Hard Drive or is one safe enough?

Shamus, I recommend a hard drive with enough capacity to hold your music comfortably and then a second to act as a backup for the first. Think about the cumulative time and effort you've put into ripping all that music - and having to do it, or a large portion of it, over again. Drives are cheap. I just bought my 1TB external (for use with the Opus) for $160.
post #908 of 1136 Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Speaking of my Opus, my wife was out hiking around with the dogs when Fed-Ex came by! With no one to sign for it, back it went to their office. Arrrrgh. Oh well, I'll just stop by there tomorrow.

Didn't someone say something about patience being a virtue? Sheesh.
post #909 of 1136 Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I think you need to have two copies of everything, so another hard drive might be in order. Or, you might consider upgrading the hard drive in your laptop. It isn't that difficult to swap them out.

Quote:

Question...

post #910 of 1136 Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dave and Z.

I think I'll just pick up another one and store my music in WAV, while the other one will be in FLAC. This will make it easy for any Ipods I might use.
post #911 of 1136 Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Shamus, good luck with the drives.

Well, so far, so good. I got the Opus4 home, unpacked it, connected it physically, connected it to the wireless network and got the basic configuration done in about 15 minutes. Proceeded to rip 5 CDs to FLAC and sat back to listen. Wow. First up was a Japanese import of Eagles' - Hotel California which I'm very familiar with. Wow. At first blush, I cannot distinguish any differences between my CD transport and the Opus. Yeah, I know. It's not the most insightful review but that's about all I'm good for right now. I'm going back to listen to some more music. G'night all....
post #912 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear (pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

Shamus, good luck with the drives.

Well, so far, so good. I got the Opus4 home, unpacked it, connected it physically, connected it to the wireless network and got the basic configuration done in about 15 minutes. Proceeded to rip 5 CDs to FLAC and sat back to listen. Wow. First up was a Japanese import of Eagles' - Hotel California which I'm very familiar with. Wow. At first blush, I cannot distinguish any differences between my CD transport and the Opus. Yeah, I know. It's not the most insightful review but that's about all I'm good for right now. I'm going back to listen to some more music. G'night all....

post #913 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
gfd

I'm pretty happy with the Opus 4 in general, but I am really disappointed with the user interface on the device itself, i.e., Rondo. Scrolling through the touch screen to find a specific album or artist is painful when you have hundreds of albums and artists, and not having some search capability is a major design flaw. Maestro makes it somewhat easier but then you have to have a browser nearby which kind of defeats the purpose.
post #914 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

I'm pretty happy with the Opus 4 in general, but I am really disappointed with the user interface on the device itself, i.e., Rondo. Scrolling through the touch screen to find a specific album or artist is painful when you have hundreds of albums and artists, and not having some search capability is a major design flaw. Maestro makes it somewhat easier but then you have to have a browser nearby which kind of defeats the purpose.

If you hold down the center button, an alphabet thing will pop up which makes it a little more tolerable.
Why a $1500 touch screen cant compete with a $100 Ipod is beyond me though.
post #915 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
gfd

Quote:

If you hold down the center button, an alphabet thing will pop up which makes it a little more tolerable.
Why a $1500 touch screen cant compete with a $100 Ipod is beyond me though.

Thanks, Shamus, I didn't know that. I'll definitely give that a try.

Gerry
post #916 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

Thanks, Shamus, I didn't know that. I'll definitely give that a try.

Gerry

No problem, once you have Artist or Album highlighted, just hold down the center button and an alphabet will appear.

Remember, another bug in the Olive, is you have to make sure you get the list on the left side of the screen before you start scrolling. If its on the right side, and you start scrolling, it will reset once you select something.
post #917 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Quick question.
Awhile back I was told by Olive support that you could not connect two external HDs to the OPUS 3s or 5s.
The other day I had 500gig HD and Flash Drive connected to my machine and when I powered up, the menu showed USB1 and USB2. I played around with it and everything worked fine. Was able to move between all three drives.
Does anybody have two HDs connected on a regular basis?
Have you had any problems?
Thanks for your help.
post #918 of 1136 Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll be picking up another external Hard Drive in the morning.

What would be a good way to take flac from my computer (or other Hard drive), convert it to WAV and than copy it to the new hard drive?
post #919 of 1136 Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

You can do that with Media Monkey. Tools -> Convert Audio Format -> Change the format to WAV.
post #920 of 1136 Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can do that with Media Monkey. Tools -> Convert Audio Format -> Change the format to WAV.

I figured that, but since you didnt bother using Media monkey to RIP in the first place, I thought there might be something that does it better.
post #921 of 1136 Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

I got Media Monkey after I started EAC, so it was force of habit. I also think EAC does a better job ripping difficult discs (scratches, etc), than MM, but once the file is converted to FLAC, a FLAC file ripped with EAC or MM should sound the same, and only possibly differ in file size due to different compression.

My assumption is since WAV is uncompressed, I doubt any application could make a measurable difference converting lossless FLAC files to lossless, uncompressed WAV files. Theoretically, they should sound the same.

Quote:

I figured that, but since you didnt bother using Media monkey to RIP in the first place, I thought there might be something that does it better.

post #922 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 AM

Changes in software version O.3.2.2 and M.3.2.2, expected to be released November 21, 2008

New features:

* Volume control and mute status shown on display
* CD-in redesign of menu navigation including individual track selection
* Gapless playback
* Menu and playback enhanced with CD number sorting for CD sets (requires user to maintain CD numbers in metadata)
* Play screen refresh, along with new playlist context menu screen

Software bug fixes:

* Various stability fixes
* Reduced CD playback drive spin speed, which increased in 3.2.1

Remaining known issues

* CD reference database update is not yet enabled
* Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes
post #923 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

Thanks for the link. It looks like it might have promise, BUT. It's Windows only, and I use a Mac. And I'd rather keep a PC out of the loop. I have a convection-cooled, virtually silent computer now - the Mac Cube - but I try to keep the computer stuff away from my HiFi. :-)

Greetings All,
I am Neal Van Berg, the Designer of the Music Vault along with my partner Howard Blum.

We have replaced the Linux operating system with Windows Home Server in the new Music Vault II.

The Music Vault II has some new features as a result of this change and there are some missunderstandings about the Music Vault on the posts here so I would like to describe what the Music Vault II does for you.

The Music Vault II is really a Universal Music Server that is compatible with PCs or Mac computers and Linux based computers too.

It needs an internet connection to be able to Rip your CDs in a Lossless format to its internal Hard Drive. The ripping is done simply by opening up the CD drawer, putting your CD in and closing the Drawer. Using its internet connection it will gather the CDs Meta Data and Album art and automatically rip it for you.

Alternatively you can use the Squeeze Box or Transporter as Wireless Bridge to supply internet to the Music Vault II.

In Addition it comes with the latest version of Squeeze Center loaded on it.

Squeeze Center is the software that works with the Logitech players; Transporter, Duet or SqueezeBox Classic. Updating to newer version of the software is trivial on the Music Vault II

You can access the Squeeze Center software from any networked computer in your home or from the Logitech remote that comes with the player.

The Music Vault II has it's own wierless network that is called MusicVault.
It operates at 54 Megabits per second and provides a dedicated wireless network between the Music Vault II and your Logitech Player(s).

This ensures that you get dropout free transmission and allows your home network its full bandwidth for computing .

The Music Vault II is also compatible with all networked players like the Denon products.

THe Music Vault passes Internet Radio to the Logitech Players also.

Should you fill up your Music Vault it is very simple to add additional USB Storage or Back Up Drives. These Drives increase the Music Folders Storage in a way that is Compatible with Squeeze Center. There is no limit to how large you can make the storage capacity of the Music Vault II.

The Music Vault may also be used to automatically back up your home network if you want it to do that for you.

Under normal operation the Music Vault has no noise, it is loud while ripping a CD and occasionally it will do some self maintenace and you will hear the fan for a minute or two but this is not a common experience.

Besides the 6 Moons Review, Steve Stone of the Absoulte Sound will be doing a Review in December and I expect a few others over the next few months.

Thanks for your interest and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Oh yes you can turn off all the computers on your network and still use the Music Vault II and any Logitech Player, it will support up to 8 players wirelessly.
post #924 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

SoundScience, you should start a new thread.
post #925 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Way View Post

Changes in software version O.3.2.2 and M.3.2.2, expected to be released November 21, 2008

New features:

* Volume control and mute status shown on display
* CD-in redesign of menu navigation including individual track selection
* Gapless playback
* Menu and playback enhanced with CD number sorting for CD sets (requires user to maintain CD numbers in metadata)

Software bug fixes:

* Various stability fixes
* Reduced CD playback drive spin speed, which increased in 3.2.1

Remaining known issues

* CD reference database update is not yet enabled
* Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes

Am I reading this correctly????? Gapless playback is coming?!?!?!?!??!?

Whats this?
Quote:

post #926 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, kind of like the answer to the question no one was asking. Blatant spam.

Quote:

SoundScience, you should start a new thread.

post #927 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, kind of like the answer to the question no one was asking. Blatant spam.

Were you aware that gapless was coming?

Any word on sound leveling? Should I have did that in Media Monkey?
post #928 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yes... Maybe... No...

Quote:

Were you aware that gapless was coming?

Any word on sound leveling? Should I have did that in Media Monkey?

post #929 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes... Maybe... No...

:d

Any comment on this?????????????
Quote:

post #930 of 1136 Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

As I understand, this is actually two different things:

"Play screen refresh"

They are redesigning the play screen so it takes better advantage of the screen size. Right now a lot of the screen isn't being utilized, so I'm guessing they will be changing the font, moving the fields around, etc.

"along with new playlist context menu screen"

They are redesigning the playlist menu screen. Rather than menus, they are moving toward icons... I haven't seen it, so we'll just have to wait.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page