Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenon View Post

1. That might be part of it. Before I did the update I was unable to load the music on the Opus into iTunes. Today after the update I opened iTunes and all the music on the Opus showed up in iTunes. So maybe there was some problem with the old software.

2. As far as the software/hardware firewall on my LAN, I'm not sure. I have WEP encryption but the Opus has the encryption key and I can now use my web browser to play the Opus so I know its getting onto the network. I'm not sure what a hardware firewall is so maybe that's an issue I need to look into. I've tried connecting the Opus directly to my DSL modem and I still can get the update (internet radio works though), so I think there's something wrong with the Opus. The tech i spoke with yesterday wasn't able to find out what the issue is yet so hopefully he'll have an idea how to take care of it.

The update installed properly so I'm in no big rush at this point.

The fact that your Opus library did not show up in iTunes with the old software seems to indicate that the software was malfunctionning. If you want to test the download capability now that you have upgraded, just select the "Update software" option on the Opus and see what happens: if you get a message to the effect that you have already have the latest version, it means that your Opus is communicating normally with Olive's server (that is required for version verification). If you get an error message, then you must have a networking problem.

Concerning Jack's comment to the effect that if you do not know if you have a hardware firewall ornot, it means you have not, it is not quite true: practically all basic routers have some kind of firewall built-in. What Jack probably had in mind was a dedicated firewall appliance. However, default settings on routers rarely cause problems for mundane tasks such as downloading software.

M.G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I guess I was just being lazy about figuring out how to add a song to the playlist. Thanks.

Well, as I said, I ordered a 770 and should have it tomorrow. How did you know that I had a dual-processor desktop with a gaming graphics card? Yeah I really don't need to do serious web browsing or any fancy internet stuff from the 770. At this point I just want it to control my Opus. I use Opera most of the time for browsing on my desktop so that is fine with me for the 770.

I have to admit, however, that when I started looking at other touch screens I started to get ideas about controling all my equipment, including the Opus, with one touch screen. That would be nice but when I saw the prices of these things I figured I would stick with my Harmony remote and get the 770 for the Opus.

Random question: Is it relatively easy (buttons large enough and screen responsive to finger touches) to use your fingers to push the buttons on the 770 or do you have to use the pointing device?

Hi Jack,

To answer your "random question": using a stylus is mandatory for reliably navigating the screen of the 770. However, there is a full-screen keyboard that can be invoked instead of the smaller keyboard normally displayed when text entry is required, and that full-screen keyboard is supposed to respond to touch-typing (not being a masochist, I did not bother to try it).

M.G.
post #93 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:

Has anyone used the Opus for streaming to other rooms? I haven't really investigated how that works but I'm setting up a second sound system in another room and might like to play around with that feature. I suppose at a minimum the receiver in the other room has to have some sort of wireless capability. I don't know if you have to buy a device to plug into the receiver or what.

Ok I just checked out the Olive site and it seems you have to buy a Sonata at $200 and it can be linked to your amp (via coax I suppose) in another room. Has anyone used a Sonata?

The new software makes the Opus compatible with streaming clients other than the Sonata, as long as they are UPnp-compliant and support the file format you are using (I verified that feature using the streaming client I downloaded to the Nokia 770).
The Sonata seems to be pretty basic (you cannot get a high-end DAC and sophisticated analogue output circuitry for $200). It has both analogue RCA and digital outputs, so you can connect it to a good DAC if you intend to do critical listening. Do not expect to get smooth streaming of FLAC or WAV on Wifi unless your remote streamer is in a strong signal area and you have little competing traffic on your network, though.

M.G.
post #94 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

The fact that your Opus library did not show up in iTunes with the old software seems to indicate that the software was malfunctionning. If you want to test the download capability now that you have upgraded, just select the "Update software" option on the Opus and see what happens: if you get a message to the effect that you have already have the latest version, it means that your Opus is communicating normally with Olive's server (that is required for version verification). If you get an error message, then you must have a networking problem.

Concerning Jack's comment to the effect that if you do not know if you have a hardware firewall ornot, it means you have not, it is not quite true: practically all basic routers have some kind of firewall built-in. What Jack probably had in mind was a dedicated firewall appliance. However, default settings on routers rarely cause problems for mundane tasks such as downloading software.

M.G.

DIGINOTE & Jack D:
When I hooked up the ethernet cable to the Opus after the software update I still got the error message when I tried to run the update (no "software already installed" message).

I use an Apple Airport Extreme as my home base station for my wireless network. I'll have to call Apple to see if there is an internal firewall and what effect, if any, it would have on downloading software updates, although I doubt there is any sort of limitation on this in the Airport (I can't get the update when the Opus is hard-wired to the modem either).

As far as using the CD database, I think my system can get to the internet for that. One unfortunate side effect of this whole trouble-shooting process was that my Airport stopped working once I disconnected it to hard wire the Opus to the modem. Now I'll have to spend most of tonight on the phone with Apple tech support trying to figure out why I can't get my Airport to access the internet (I think it isn't releasing it's IP address). I'll let you know what I hear from Olive.
post #95 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DIGINOTE & Jack D:
When I hooked up the ethernet cable to the Opus after the software update I still got the error message when I tried to run the update (no "software already installed" message).

I use an Apple Airport Extreme as my home base station for my wireless network. I'll have to call Apple to see if there is an internal firewall and what effect, if any, it would have on downloading software updates, although I doubt there is any sort of limitation on this in the Airport (I can't get the update when the Opus is hard-wired to the modem either).

As far as using the CD database, I think my system can get to the internet for that. One unfortunate side effect of this whole trouble-shooting process was that my Airport stopped working once I disconnected it to hard wire the Opus to the modem. Now I'll have to spend most of tonight on the phone with Apple tech support trying to figure out why I can't get my Airport to access the internet (I think it isn't releasing it's IP address). I'll let you know what I hear from Olive.

Sorry but I've run out of ideas. I know how frustrating this stuff can be. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had a lot of trouble with the wireless connection and spent several hours on the phone with Olive and with the maker of my wireless router. In the end I gave up on that and connected the Opus via cable. Of course that is not the problem for you.

Keep us posted.
post #96 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 08:58 AM

I might take my Opus to a friend's house and see if I can get the update check to work on his system. If it doesn't (I doubt it will) then I'll have to decide if I want to send the machine back to Olive to have them look at it. All things considered, this isn't that big of a problem. The music server works and it's not that big a deal to burn the updates to a CD and load them myself. If that's the only problem with the system then I might just live with it. It's not as if i can't play music. I don't think I want to deal with the headache of sending the system back just for this.

BTW, the new update is great. I love being able to control the unit from my laptop. The Opus remote changes the input on my receiver (ARCAM) whenever I scroll through the artist list. Now that I don't have to deal with that anymore the system is a lot more enjoyable to use. Thanks for your help.
post #97 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might take my Opus to a friend's house and see if I can get the update check to work on his system. If it doesn't (I doubt it will) then I'll have to decide if I want to send the machine back to Olive to have them look at it. All things considered, this isn't that big of a problem. The music server works and it's not that big a deal to burn the updates to a CD and load them myself. If that's the only problem with the system then I might just live with it. It's not as if i can't play music. I don't think I want to deal with the headache of sending the system back just for this.

BTW, the new update is great. I love being able to control the unit from my laptop. The Opus remote changes the input on my receiver (ARCAM) whenever I scroll through the artist list. Now that I don't have to deal with that anymore the system is a lot more enjoyable to use. Thanks for your help.

Yeah it's great. I ordered the Nokia 770 which should be even more conveninet than using my laptop. Which Arcam do you use? I've got the 700. I use a Harmony remote to control my system so I never use the Opus remote anymore. In any case, I changed the code on the Arcam so that the interference between the Opus and the Arcam is not a problem. I think I posted the instructions on how to do that earlier in this thread.
post #98 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 10:49 AM

Jack,

Yes, I think we exchanged a couple of posts at that time. I have an AVR300 and DV78. Love the set up. After the Opus the sound is even better, and the DV78 was a pretty good CD player in it's own right. I never bothered changing the remote settings for the ARCAM. In order to do that I would have had to go get a software update since I hadn't updated mine since I bought the system (Sep '04). What is it with me and software updates anyway? Now with the Opus updated the problem is taken care of. Take care.
post #99 of 1136 Old 11-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear that at least, you enjoy the new software.

Concerning your connection problem, the fact that your router stopped accessign the internet after you unplugged it to try connecting the Opus directly to your DSL modem points to an ISP issue (Verizon may block what its network sees as a server behind its DSL modem). When you tried direct connection to your modem, I assume you configured the Opus as a router. If you did, just make sure that for connecting it to the Airport Extreme, you select the "home network" setting, and check the WLAN and Ethernet settings after doing that. Also, if the Airport can be controlled through a web interface, you should be able to test DHAC release/restore without calling Apples.

Good luck!

M.G.
post #100 of 1136 Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You know, the Musica (or Opus) is really a great way to rediscover your music collection. Once you have all the CDs loaded, how often to you pull up every disc to listen? Instead, I've been putting my Musica on 'Random' (made easier with the new Web interface) and playing by Genre.

I'm amazed all of the wonderful songs in my collection that I haven't listened to in years!

Brad
post #101 of 1136 Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

You know, the Musica (or Opus) is really a great way to rediscover your music collection. Once you have all the CDs loaded, how often to you pull up every disc to listen? Instead, I've been putting my Musica on 'Random' (made easier with the new Web interface) and playing by Genre.

I'm amazed all of the wonderful songs in my collection that I haven't listened to in years!

Agreed. I do the same thing from time to time and it is surprising what is in there.
post #102 of 1136 Old 11-05-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I do the same thing from time to time and it is surprising what is in there.

Here's the set up:

- Win XP
- McAfee Security Center software (disabled)
- Verizon DSL (Westell 327W) Router
- Opus 500 (Software Version: 2.3)
- Nokia 770 (OS2006)

I've had a Opus for several months now (awesome device) and just received the 770 two days ago. I'm sure that there's a simple fix for setting the units to see one another, but it has been frustrating to say the least. As suggested, I updated the units' software, tried direct USB connection between the two ... nothing. I'm sure that the software was installed properly on the Opus because the unit sees my router, PC, and plays 'net radio perfectly. The 770 communicates with the PC via "SimpleCenter Home Media Server" suggested at the Nokia website. Why am I not able to control the Opus from the 770 or my PC? Admittedly, I'm not as WLAN savvy as I like to be. Is there a simple fix?
post #103 of 1136 Old 11-05-2006, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactpro View Post

Here's the set up:

- Win XP
- McAfee Security Center software (disabled)
- Verizon DSL (Westell 327W) Router
- Opus 500 (Software Version: 2.3)
- Nokia 770 (OS2006)

I've had a Opus for several months now (awesome device) and just received the 770 two days ago. I'm sure that there's a simple fix for setting the units to see one another, but it has been frustrating to say the least. As suggested, I updated the units' software, tried direct USB connection between the two ... nothing. I'm sure that the software was installed properly on the Opus because the unit sees my router, PC, and plays 'net radio perfectly. The 770 communicates with the PC via "SimpleCenter Home Media Server" suggested at the Nokia website. Why am I not able to control the Opus from the 770 or my PC? Admittedly, I'm not as WLAN savvy as I like to be. Is there a simple fix?

I'm not sure. I am only going to get my 770 tomorrow so I don't have any experience with it at this point. So just a bunch of questions:

Do you have another wireless device on your network? Is the Opus linked wirelessly? You have a combination LAN and WLAN or is everything linked via WLAN? The Verizon Westell is wireless? Do you have a laptop from which you were able to control the Opus before you got the 770? One thing is to try a search for computers on your PC. First check the IP that is being assigned to the Opus and search for that IP to see if other devices can see it on the network. Also have you tried putting in the IP of your OPUs into the browser on your PC to see if the new Olive web interface comes up?
post #104 of 1136 Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure. I am only going to get my 770 tomorrow so I don't have any experience with it at this point. So just a bunch of questions:

Do you have another wireless device on your network? Is the Opus linked wirelessly? You have a combination LAN and WLAN or is everything linked via WLAN? The Verizon Westell is wireless? Do you have a laptop from which you were able to control the Opus before you got the 770? One thing is to try a search for computers on your PC. First check the IP that is being assigned to the Opus and search for that IP to see if other devices can see it on the network. Also have you tried putting in the IP of your OPUs into the browser on your PC to see if the new Olive web interface comes up?

:-D Eureka! I found it.

Through your suggestions I'm able to see the Opus on my Desktop and Nokia 770. Everything shows up as advertised. Now I'll fiddle with it some more and see how well the controls work. Gratias
post #105 of 1136 Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

:-D Eureka! I found it.

Through your suggestions I'm able to see the Opus on my Desktop and Nokia 770. Everything shows up as advertised. Now I'll fiddle with it some more and see how well the controls work. Gratias

Excellent! Let us know how the 770 works for you. I'll get mine tomorrow and will try to post some initial impressions.
post #106 of 1136 Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. Got my 770. It took me about 30 minutes to get it set up (without reading the instructions). The only glitch is that my home WLAN is hidden so I had to go to the tools/connectivity menu and set it up manually with WPA etc. That took a few false starts.

First impressions:

1. It's fantastic that I can carry it around anywhere in my house and control the Opus.

2. I would have liked the screen to be a bit larger. The menus are ok but once I get into my library the type is a bit small for me. True you can quickly zoom with a button on the tool bar but then you have to scroll around to get to various parts of the Olive interface.

3. It seems a bit slow. When I push buttons on the player it takes longer to respond on the Opus than it does when I'm working from my laptop. Ditto when I'm scrolling around my library. Do you think the wireless adapter is cheap/slow? Not sure what else would explain it.

Tell the truth I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. Mainly because of the size of the screen. The problem is I only want the screen a bit bigger so it is still mobile but I also do not want to pay massively more like the prices I saw when I was surfing the AMX and Crestron sites. I wonder if there is something that would fit my size and willingness to pay criteria.
post #107 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:

OK. Got my 770. It took me about 30 minutes to get it set up (without reading the instructions). The only glitch is that my home WLAN is hidden so I had to go to the tools/connectivity menu and set it up manually with WPA etc. That took a few false starts.

First impressions:

1. It's fantastic that I can carry it around anywhere in my house and control the Opus.

2. I would have liked the screen to be a bit larger. The menus are ok but once I get into my library the type is a bit small for me. True you can quickly zoom with a button on the tool bar but then you have to scroll around to get to various parts of the Olive interface.

3. It seems a bit slow. When I push buttons on the player it takes longer to respond on the Opus than it does when I'm working from my laptop. Ditto when I'm scrolling around my library. Do you think the wireless adapter is cheap/slow? Not sure what else would explain it.

Tell the truth I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. Mainly because of the size of the screen. The problem is I only want the screen a bit bigger so it is still mobile but I also do not want to pay massively more like the prices I saw when I was surfing the AMX and Crestron sites. I wonder if there is something that would fit my size and willingness to pay criteria.

Hi Jack,

Your observations concerning the Nokia 770 are quite accurate: the screen is sufficient, but not big, and the response is slower than with a PC. Slow response is most likely due to the processor and the OS rather than the Wifi connection. To me. a slight response delay is not a real problem while using the unit a a remote navigation/play back control. I would not consider doing serious metadata editing from the Nokia. I did some research prior to selecting the 770 and found nothing that would offer similar portability plus a larger display, and the price is pretty low. I am currently in Tokyo and will look at what is available among new gadgets here (but I am not very hopeful).

One inconvenient aspect of the Olive web interface (whther accessed from tha Nokia or a PC) is the need to change the IP address whenever DHCP gives the Opus a new one. I see no reason why giving the Opus a fixed IP address should create problems, so I'll try that when I get back home.

M.G.
post #108 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Some of the smaller "notebook" units might also be an option. I know Dell has some for close to the Nokia range. So if you want a slightly larger screen and don't mind the size, it could be a consideration.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #109 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM

Guys,

I've played around with the Opus & 770 for a few days and found it to be good for the money versus $1,800 to $4,500 for tablet devices that will do the same stuff. I'm not willing to pay that much for a glorified "remote control."

To get to a larger screen, press the second left button from the bottom of the 770. Select "View" then "Full Screen." Now if I can only find a way to make the Opus Web Interface load this way each time initiated. Anyone out there got the answer to that question.

BTW - The response time is fast when I hit an action button/icon/link on the Nokia 770, but of course I bought a gig of memory for the unit and the same fo the PC. One other thing is that my WLAN is not WEP encrypted. Wide open ... dangerous?

ContactPro
post #110 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jack,

Your observations concerning the Nokia 770 are quite accurate: the screen is sufficient, but not big, and the response is slower than with a PC. Slow response is most likely due to the processor and the OS rather than the Wifi connection. To me. a slight response delay is not a real problem while using the unit a a remote navigation/play back control. I would not consider doing serious metadata editing from the Nokia. I did some research prior to selecting the 770 and found nothing that would offer similar portability plus a larger display, and the price is pretty low. I am currently in Tokyo and will look at what is available among new gadgets here (but I am not very hopeful).

One inconvenient aspect of the Olive web interface (whther accessed from tha Nokia or a PC) is the need to change the IP address whenever DHCP gives the Opus a new one. I see no reason why giving the Opus a fixed IP address should create problems, so I'll try that when I get back home.

M.G.

I find the delay a bit irritating and troublesome when I am scrolling down a list of albums or artists or songs. Sometimes the next screen will come in ok without too much delay but other times it gets all futzed up. Also the re-drawing of the screen everytime you push a button is irritating.

Yes I had thought to set a fixed ip for the Opus so that I could bookmark it in my browser too but I haven't got around to it. Most of the time my router assigns the same one so it is not a huge hassle but it would be nice to be able to go to a bookmark.
post #111 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

Some of the smaller "notebook" units might also be an option. I know Dell has some for close to the Nokia range. So if you want a slightly larger screen and don't mind the size, it could be a consideration.

Maybe I'll take a look but they are probably pretty big.
post #112 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys,

I've played around with the Opus & 770 for a few days and found it to be good for the money versus $1,800 to $4,500 for tablet devices that will do the same stuff. I'm not willing to pay that much for a glorified "remote control."

To get to a larger screen, press the second left button from the bottom of the 770. Select "View" then "Full Screen." Now if I can only find a way to make the Opus Web Interface load this way each time initiated. Anyone out there got the answer to that question.

BTW - The response time is fast when I hit an action button/icon/link on the Nokia 770, but of course I bought a gig of memory for the unit and the same fo the PC. One other thing is that my WLAN is not WEP encrypted. Wide open ... dangerous?

ContactPro

Yeah I discovered the view/full screen option too which helps but is still kind of awkward.

Hmm, I wonder if getting more memory would help. I just have whatever came with the unit. You just buy another card I guess right?

No encryption on your WLAN? You are nuts. It is very easy to use WPA assuming your router/firewall has that built in. You just have to define a password and then put it into your remote devices one time. They will remember it after that. In any case, you can at least hide the name of your network so that any idiot wandering by with a laptop does not see it automatically.
post #113 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Yes, I bought a 1 gig RS-MMC from Fry's for $24.99. Once installed, you have to initialize it to allow for virtual memory expansion. Your unit maybe only optimized for the 64 MB card that came with it. Go to "Tools," "Control Panel," and "Memory."

I searched for cheap tablet PC's and came up with prices of $899 to $1200 (not really cheap!) ... I'll keep my Nokia 770 for awhile.

Have fun!

ContactPro
post #114 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I bought a 1 gig RS-MMC from Fry's for $24.99. Once installed, you have to initialize it to allow for virtual memory expansion. Your unit maybe only optimized for the 64 MB card that came with it. Go to "Tools," "Control Panel," and "Memory."

I searched for cheap tablet PC's and came up with prices of $899 to $1200 (not really cheap!) ... I'll keep my Nokia 770 for awhile.

Have fun!

ContactPro

I guess it is worth $25 to see if that makes the 770 more useable. It does seem that there is niche for the 770 given the prices of the alternatives. Still I'm not jumping for joy over this device even though it is really neat to be able to carry it in your pocket around the house and control the Opus from anywhere.
post #115 of 1136 Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Hi All,
What about this? http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=257

Regards,
Ricky
post #116 of 1136 Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcah View Post

Hi All,
What about this? http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=257

Regards,
Ricky

Sorry, but the unit advertised on that link would be utterly useless, at it lacks built-in wi-fi, not to mention that it is a used tablet dating back to some 4 years.

Current Fujitsu tablets (CT 4120) would certainly do the job, but at close to 3 pounds and $1900, they are not exactly ideal.

M.G
post #117 of 1136 Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I find the delay a bit irritating and troublesome when I am scrolling down a list of albums or artists or songs. Sometimes the next screen will come in ok without too much delay but other times it gets all futzed up. Also the re-drawing of the screen everytime you push a button is irritating.

Yes I had thought to set a fixed ip for the Opus so that I could bookmark it in my browser too but I haven't got around to it. Most of the time my router assigns the same one so it is not a huge hassle but it would be nice to be able to go to a bookmark.

Jack,

The "delay", in my experience, is minimal when using playback controls; it is much less than the delay on mys Sony ES DVD/CD/SACD player. As to navigating the library, response time between the "click" on a selection and start of playback is about 2 seconds; not so horrible. Finally, browsing long lists is made quite fast by using the alphabetical indexing feature. You do not need to scroll from A to Z unless you really don't know what you are looking for. Finally, I have not experienced garbled screens after a refresh. I did buy and install a 1 GB memory card, but am not sure it makes a diference when using the 770 to navigate the Olive web interface (that should not be a memory-intensive task). Maybe your problems come from low WLAN signal strength...

M.G.
post #118 of 1136 Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jack,

The "delay", in my experience, is minimal when using playback controls; it is much less than the delay on mys Sony ES DVD/CD/SACD player. As to navigating the library, response time between the "click" on a selection and start of playback is about 2 seconds; not so horrible. Finally, browsing long lists is made quite fast by using the alphabetical indexing feature. You do not need to scroll from A to Z unless you really don't know what you are looking for. Finally, I have not experienced garbled screens after a refresh. I did buy and install a 1 GB memory card, but am not sure it makes a diference when using the 770 to navigate the Olive web interface (that should not be a memory-intensive task). Maybe your problems come from low WLAN signal strength...

M.G.

I don't know what to think. I got the 1GB card but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference as far as I can tell. The WLAN signal strength where I normally use the 770 is very good according to my lap top. I find that using the letters to go directly to some part of the library is a bit awkward as the letters show up extremely small in the "library" screen on the 770. I don't know. All in all, it works ok but not great. It's a little bit more of a hassle than I had hoped.
post #119 of 1136 Old 11-11-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:

I don't know what to think. I got the 1GB card but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference as far as I can tell. The WLAN signal strength where I normally use the 770 is very good according to my lap top. I find that using the letters to go directly to some part of the library is a bit awkward as the letters show up extremely small in the "library" screen on the 770. I don't know. All in all, it works ok but not great. It's a little bit more of a hassle than I had hoped.

Jack,

No, the Nokia 770 is not perfect. Olive should develop and market its own tablet control device. I am sure customers willing to pay $3,000-4,000 for an Opus would not mind paying an extra $500-600 for a dedicated touch-screen control unit, especially if it did double duty working also as a wireless streaming client. However, I am not sure the Opus will sell well enough to warrant the investment.

Now, if you want the utmost in convenience and flexibility, I would suggest you look up Sooloos, a new company that made quite a splash at CEDIA. I understand that a system with 3 terabytes of storage with full protection from drive failure, a master unit for ripping/burning , a client module and a BIG touchscreen control unit would cost around $12,000 (not so bad if you consider what assembling such a system from disparate vendors would cost. Infrant recently introduced a NAS storage device with fanless cooling, designed for media storage, with an asking price of about $4,000 for 2 terabytes, and that is just storage).

The link to Sooloos:

http://www.sooloos.com/www/home.html

I will have a chance to try a Sooloos system soon and will report.

M.G.

No
post #120 of 1136 Old 11-12-2006, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

J
Now, if you want the utmost in convenience and flexibility, I would suggest you look up Sooloos, a new company that made quite a splash at CEDIA. I understand that a system with 3 terabytes of storage with full protection from drive failure, a master unit for ripping/burning , a client module and a BIG touchscreen control unit would cost around $12,000 (not so bad if you consider what assembling such a system from disparate vendors would cost. Infrant recently introduced a NAS storage device with fanless cooling, designed for media storage, with an asking price of about $4,000 for 2 terabytes, and that is just storage).

The link to Sooloos:

http://www.sooloos.com/www/home.html

I will have a chance to try a Sooloos system soon and will report.

M.G.

I'm very much looking forward to your report on the Sooloos system!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page