Olive Opus: First Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1136 Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't seen much at all here about the Olive Opus (or any of the Olives) so I don't know if anyone cares but I just got one and thought I'd share initial impressions.

1. My sound system:
Arcam AVP 700 pre/pro
Anthem MCA 50 Amp
B&W 703s front speakers
SVS PB 12 ULTRA/2 SW
Previously I used a Denon 3910 for music.

2. Sound: Well I have been doing some A/B comparisons with the 3910 and the Opus. I'm not an expert but: The Opus sounds cleaner, purer in some sense. I now think the 3910 was adding distortions. A/Bing between the units with one song sounds like I'm listening to a different song. The 3910 is way more in your face, the bass booms and rumbles. The Opus has a more ascetic sound and maybe better imaging (but I could be imagining that ). I have to admit that I kind of grew to like the bass rumble from the 3910 but I'm now starting to think it was some sort of distortion added to the sound. I could be making all this up but I'm just telling you my initial impressions. I've only had the unit for a few days. PS: I've listened in Stereo and Surround mode (with stereo recording). When I'm in stereo mode I've got the Arcam configured to use the SW as well. I know a lot of purists hate the idea of using surround mode for stereo. I'm not sure one way or the other but I don't notice that in surround mode it changes my impressions of the Opus v 3910 at this point.

3. Other stuff:

a. Opus is a nice looking unit and seems substantial and well made.

b. First problem is that it was not straight forward to load my ripped CDs from my computer. Some initial problems getting the Opus recognized on my LAN (and now that I have my WLAN up I'm having a bit of a configuration problem with that too that I have not solved). The Opus manual says all you have to do is activate the network function but, as I just said, that was not my experience. Then the big problem: I had ripped my collection in iTunes using Apple's lossless format (m4a). It turns out that the Opus doesn't read that format. So I had to convert everything to Aiff in iTunes and then copy it over to the Opus. It took a long few days and also the AIFFs are uncompressed so a lot more drive space. Copying to the Opus was very fast; it was the conversion and copying to the Olive shared folder on my computer that took all the time. BTW, the Opus is supposed to be able to convert AIFF to FLAC which would maintain the sound quality but compress the flies. My first attempt at that didn't work. I haven't really fiddled with it but at this point the last thing I want to do is spend hours more converting files. I want to listen! So I'll leave that for later.

c. I don't have hawk eyes but I'm pretty close to 20/20 and I can't read the Opus menus when I'm sitting in my listening seat about 9 ft away from the unit. So I have to go up to it to select a cd or playlist. Olive says they are coming out with a new remote that will have an LCD on it so you can read the menus from the remote. Supposed to be out in the third quarter of this year and will cost extra (no swap with existing remote).

d. You can also manage your library on the Opus from a web interface provided that you have the Opus linked to your LAN or WLAN. My experience is that it is VERY SLOW. Olive told me they are coming out with a firmware update in the next month that will address that issue.

e. The Opus remote seems to be on the same IR code as the Arcam and when I use some functions on the Opus it changes the music mode on the Arcam. Olive told me they have no fix for that and I'm waiting for my local Arcam dealer to get back to me about if it's possible to change the IR code on the Arcam. Luckily it only seems to be a problem when I'm scrolling through the Opus menu and, since I can't read the menu from my listening position, I have to use the buttons on the Opus to get around the menus anyway. The play, stop, skip track etc commands don't seem to affect the Arcam.

f. The Opus does not support SACD so that means I still have to keep all those wires between the 3910 and the Arcam! I'm keeping the 3910 on my rack anyway for movies.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this is of interest to some of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1136 Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Jack,
Thanks for the nice review. Enjoy your Opus!!

Stan
post #3 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

I had been thinking about adding a Musica or Opus for whole house sound purposes. But, there is a very interesting and controversial thread over at Audio Circles dealing with the rebadging of the Musica into the Opus; extreme jitter in the Opus, and phony group buys. Certainly not the stuff that our audio hobby is all about.

Here is the link:http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=29947.0

We will certainly have to see how all of this turns out. I always knew that the Musica was a rebadged HiFidelio http://www.hermstedt.com/german/hifi...hifidelio.html But what is and who really manufacturers the Olive Opus?? And is it jitter-free or does it require a fix in order to sound as advertised?

Stan
post #4 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I like olives in my rice and beans.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #5 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

I had been thinking about adding a Musica or Opus for whole house sound purposes. But, there is a very interesting and controversial thread over at Audio Circles dealing with the rebadging of the Musica into the Opus; extreme jitter in the Opus, and phony group buys. Certainly not the stuff that our audio hobby is all about.

Here is the link:http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=29947.0

We will certainly have to see how all of this turns out. I always knew that the Musica was a rebadged HiFidelio http://www.hermstedt.com/german/hifi...hifidelio.html But what is and who really manufacturers the Olive Opus?? And is it jitter-free or does it require a fix in order to sound as advertised?

They say that the Opus is built in the US. I haven't noticed any jitter. Is the HiFidelio at least a good unit? The Olives have got rave reviews in some major places. Is the system that corrupt that these places would not mention the re-badging and jitter issue? Maybe. I have seen that thread but I don't know what to make of it. I'm not familiar with that forum so I don't have a feel for the posters there. And it's only one thread. I've seen some pretty bs threads on this site but I know the environment here well enough to know how to assess the merit or value of such threads.

In any case, I am currently pretty irritated about their tech support. I've been on the phone twice in the last few days for over an hour with their so-called tech expert who is now trying to help me get the Opus to link to my WLAN. Each time he has in effect hung up on me. Once a straight disconnect while I was on hold the second time he said he had to do something and would call me back and never did. Both at or very near closing time (they are on West Coast time and I can only call them a little before that because I'm on the East Coast and have a day job). That isn't the way you are supposed to treat someone who just spent a lot of money for your product. And I don't see why it is so complicated to get the device to be recognized on my WLAN.
post #6 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I haven't noticed any jitter.

I'm not sure you would hear jitter, it just induces artifacts that increase certain forms of distortion. therefore, you would hear it's effects in terms of warmer sound and exaggerated (and sometimes unstable) soundstage.

It's very difficult to comapare a device designed for CD only vs a universal player designed also to handle video, since the laser size and error correction protocals are so different.

Jerry Rappaport
post #7 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I sort of agree with DrJRapp. The jitter may not be audible whatsoever, it's just that if it's there to a signficant degree it doesn't represent good attention to design. As far as the link to the mauimods site, I didn't find the scope traces particularly useful and wonder why he just didn't use RightMark with a decent sound card to characterize the jitter over the frequency spectrum.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #8 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Everybody on Audio Circles made peace. I guess that somebody got their Opus money refunded or a UN peace mission showed up at Audio Circles.

Stan
post #9 of 1136 Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just can't get past the way this guy on the audio circle site expresses himself. Frankly, he seems retarded. He can't string together two sentences that make sense in English and he is a native English speaker. Beyond that his freaky about face wrt RA is hard to explain. Something really weird is going on there and it appears there is so much noise in the signal that it is hard to extract the valid information.

Interesting comment about the difficultly in being able to compare a universal player with CD-only player but in the end why can't you compare them? Does the music output sound better or not? I'm not making any comments about the video output of the Denon or the sound of SACDs on the Denon v CDs on the Opus.

Don't know what to think at this point. is there an alternative music server to Opus in the same price range? As far as I understand the answer is no. The alternatives are much more expensive. So far I'm pleased with the performance of the unit. My main problems have to do with the networking link up.

Still all this noise over on the other site makes me feel uneasy.
post #10 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Jack,

MM is definitely a bit strange. But, the following appears to be what is going on:

Olive either purchases, imports or distributes the Hifidelio and Hifidelio Pro from Hermstedt in Germany.

The Opus is not manufactured by Hermstedt, but is a Musica that is modded by some combination of Opus and Resolution Audio. MM talks about the mod on his diatrabe rap in the AC thread. I have some difficulty interpreting that one, but the end result is that Resolution Audio is modding to Olive's specifications.

The real question is whether Olive's literature is correct or manufacturers' hype. And, we will have to wait for a response from Olive as to whether they respond to the questions raised by MM at Audio Circles. Here are the questions:

Questions rearding the Opus data sheet:
1) Explain the "Innovative cooling concept"?

2) The data sheet stresses the effects of Jitter, Being the most Decisive factor. If that is the case, Why does the SPIDF output contain Massive Jitter?

3) Can you provide independent lab measurements of the OPUS? How about the Jitter measurement at the SPIF output?

4) What is the temperature of inside the unit, after an hour? and six hours?

5) Can you provide the Specsheets, of the analog output Regulators, Showing these are "linear" regulators"?

6) Please Identify the "power efficient components" that are used.

7) Olive's salesman said that I should be able to install a 750g hd, the OPUS, and use the recovery CD to Format and install the operating system.
Why did he failed to mention, if unit was opened warranty is voided.
Can you show that clause in your warranty documentation? Do you have warning stickers mentioning this? Can you explain why the restore disk does not work?

8 ) How is the quality of the ADC? Can you provide Specs? how about Jitter specs?

9) can Olive provide the specs for its "Ultra-low jitter master clock".

I think that Olive does need to respond to these questions.

Jack, my biggest concern, if I were you, would be about overheating in the Opus. DrJRapp and several others have raised this as a great concern. They have much more technical expertise than I could ever have. My logic asks why, the original manufacturer, Hermstedt, has never put a larger hard drive than 250gb inside the Hifidelio. And what other issues may be raised by adding the new audio DAC board inside the Opus.

For me, the Musica would be a safer purchase. I was going to purchase one (with a separate DAC), but I will not likely do so, until Olive responds to the issues raised about the Opus. In the world of audio and video, we all use individual audio or video components, but ultimately, it is the company behind the individual component that we really purchase. I have had a few issues with products from Bryston and Anthem lately, and Olive is too new on the block to not answer the questions about the Opus.

If I were in your shoes, I would return the Opus for a Musica and get a separate DAC. You will likely end up with a better product, peace of mind and a few more dollars in your pocket.

Stan
post #11 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Jack,

If I were in your shoes, I would return the Opus for a Musica and get a separate DAC. You will likely end up with a better product, peace of mind and a few more dollars in your pocket.

That certainly is a good recommendation, not to mention that an external DAC can be used for other things.

Jerry Rappaport
post #12 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:

Interesting comment about the difficultly in being able to compare a universal player with CD-only player but in the end why can't you compare them? Does the music output sound better or not? I'm not making any comments about the video output of the Denon or the sound of SACDs on the Denon v CDs on the Opus.

Perhaps I should have worded that a bit differently. Perhaps I should have said one shouldn't compare the two instead of "it's difficult to compare the two". A dedicated CDP with a CDP only designed drive will always outperform a universal/SACD player's drive due to the smaller laser size and it's ability to read pits on the disc with less errors.

In the process of comparing various players to use as a transport for an external DAC, I learned that bits are not always the same bits. A transport is not just a conduit from a disc to a DAC, it does other processing functions such as error correction and dropout prevention. The "quality" of it's EC algorithims and circuitry will have a lot to do with the ultimate sound. Dedicated CD transports have (and need) less EC processing hardware intervention, and do so with less complex yet more refined hardware/firmware.

It's sort of like having a massive cut on your forehead. Would you rather have a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon stitch it up? Both will successfully get the wound closed, but the plastic surgeon's work will leave less of a scar.

Jerry Rappaport
post #13 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. I haven't noticed unusual heat from the unit. It is definitely warm when it is turned on but not to the point where it seemed unusual to me. I know that is not scientific. And if there is an issue with heat because of the size of the HD how can Olive be marketing Opuses with even larger HDs (i've got the 500GB model) which they just started doing?

2. What's an ADC board (It's not a digital analog converter?)? And why would you want to get an exteranl one? And if you did, how do you bypass the ADC in the unit? You have to do some sort of mod?

3. I was told by Olive before I purchased the Opus that the DACs of the Opus are superior to those of the Musica. I specifically asked if the only difference was the size of the hard drive and they said that there had been improvements in other aspects, especially the DACs.

4. I sure would like Opus to respond to these questions but on the other hand does a company have to respond to complaints and accusations by any guy out there on the net? I just don't know why we should believe this one guy when he is obviously pissed at the company and seems to have another agenda. OK so a few other people (who I also don't know) jumped in and vouched for the integrity of the guy but why should I believe them? I don't know anything about the technical aspects so I can't even begin to judge if the accusations and this guy's measurements make any sense.
post #14 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJRapp View Post

Perhaps I should have worded that a bit differently. Perhaps I should have said one shouldn't compare the two instead of "it's difficult to compare the two". A dedicated CDP with a CDP only designed drive will always outperform a universal/SACD player's drive due to the smaller laser size and it's ability to read pits on the disc with less errors.

In the process of comparing various players to use as a transport for an external DAC, I learned that bits are not always the same bits. A transport is not just a conduit from a disc to a DAC, it does other processing functions such as error correction and dropout prevention. The "quality" of it's EC algorithims and circuitry will have a lot to do with the ultimate sound. Dedicated CD transports have (and need) less EC processing hardware intervention, and do so with less complex yet more refined hardware/firmware.

It's sort of like having a massive cut on your forehead. Would you rather have a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon stitch it up? Both will successfully get the wound closed, but the plastic surgeon's work will leave less of a scar.

OK. That helps. So why not just buy as cheap a dedicated CD player as possible?
Let me see if I can answer that. The laser will be smaller in any CDP but the DACs or some other key part might be inferior?
post #15 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK. That helps. So why not just buy as cheap a dedicated CD player as possible?
Let me see if I can answer that. The laser will be smaller in any CDP but the DACs or some other key part might be inferior?

Jack, it is not just a matter of the DAC's. Power supply and op-amps and other parts are extremely important and genereally increase in ability and performance as you go up the price-performance ladder. The point is that the video circuitry and the muti-channel audio circuitry will generally affect the 2 channel stereo sound quality in a universal player. For me, there is only one way to go and that is with two boxes. One for video and one for audio.

Stan
post #16 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jack, it is not just a matter of the DAC's. Power supply and op-amps and other parts are extremely important and genereally increase in ability and performance as you go up the price-performance ladder. The point is that the video circuitry and the muti-channel audio circuitry will generally affect the 2 channel stereo sound quality in a universal player. For me, there is only one way to go and that is with two boxes. One for video and one for audio.

Yeah but then I guess for moives, which obviously have both, you have to compromise on the audio. I guess that makes sense. The audio is important in a movie but it is not as critical as when listening to music. In any case, I already agree with you since I bought a music server and have the universal for movies (and SACD). And I see how it is not really an appropriate comparison between a universal and a CDP.

BTW you didn't respond to my question about the external ADC (or did you mean DAC?). Is this a mod or is there a straightforward way to bypass the internal DACs if that is what you meant?

Thanks.
post #17 of 1136 Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Would someone be kind enough to point me to a good and not highly technical article that explains what jitter is?

thx
post #18 of 1136 Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 AM

post #19 of 1136 Old 07-30-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW: I was in the process of sorting out my WLAN problems on the Opus with Olive tech support on Friday and I raised the issue of MM's accusations. The guy was fully aware of the thread on Audio Circle and claimed that: 1 MM was pissed about what he perceived as unequal treatment of him compared to other Olive dealers and that was the real motive for the diatribe; 2. He didn't measure the jitter correctly. There is some sort of other test that can be done and he didn't do it; 3. Every one of the Opuses released has been fully tested for jitter and passed Olive's testing; 4. They had contacted him directly and a very unpleasant and unproductive name calling session ensued; 5. There was no heat problem with the larger HDs; and 6. Their legal department was dealing with it now and they probably would not respond directly to him in public.

So what to think?
post #20 of 1136 Old 07-30-2006, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJRapp View Post

See page 22:

http://benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/DAC1-Manual.pdf

Thanks!
post #21 of 1136 Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Jack D, How is your Olive Opus working out for you? Did you resolve the problems you were having? Would you recommend it to others?
post #22 of 1136 Old 08-06-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post

Jack D, How is your Olive Opus working out for you? Did you resolve the problems you were having? Would you recommend it to others?

I'm very pleased with it. The only problem that I have not resolved is to link it to my WLAN. The symptoms were that it would connect sometimes but the connection wasn't stable (e.g., internet radio connections would come and go) and I would not always be able to see the device on the other computers in my LAN. I was on the phone for hours with Olive tech support and also the tech support for the company that makes my wireless product (Zyxel). In the end I think it is either some problem with the way that Olive implemented the wireless protocols (which can't really be changed except through FW update) or that the wireless signal was being dampened because my Opus is in an equipment rack. Oddly enough Olive tech support said they never tested the wireless connection with the Opus in an equipment rack!

I have to say that Olive tech support was very good about the entire episode and even called me back at one point to see if I had resolved it. Their final suggestion was to try to swap the wireless antenna for a larger one. In the end I did not try that and just ran a cat 5 cable to my equipment rack because I was not having any problems connecting the Opus on a wired LAN. This suits me anyway because I have a video processor with a built in hard drive for streaming HD video and it can only be connected via wired LAN. So I just ran the Cat 5 cable to a switch in my equipment rack and then ran a cable to the Opus and one to my video processor. If I get around to it I might try to swap the antenna on the Opus just to see if that was the problem.

The sound is great. There is some heat but it does not seem excessive and I have an equipment rack with two fans in it anyway.

The main thing I still don't like about it is the fact that there is no OSD and I can't see the LCD from my listening position. It would also have been great if it supported SACD but that does not seem to be in the cards and I have a Denon 3910 for listening to SACDs.

There was also another thread floating around where some people were complaining that you couldn't copy ripped songs on the Opus HD to other HDs but I discovered that this was only a problem with earlier FW and I can connect an external USB drive and transfer my library for backup or other purposes w/o problems.

The other hassle is that the only lossless compressed format supported by the Opus is FLAC which does not work with my iPod. The Olive tech, however, sent me a link for a beta product that allows the iPod to play FLAC flies. I haven't played around with it yet but it seems that this would be very nice since I could then just transfer FLAC files from the Opus to the iPod without converting to Apple's lossless format for when I want to go mobile.

So bottom line is that the Opus is kind of expensive and doesn't have a few desirable features (the real irritation for me is the lack of OSD) but I don't see anything out in the market for a comparable price that does everything that the Opus does. There are other ways to do it more cheaply but they are more hassle and there are some devices that have a few more features (e.g., Escient) but are much more expensive.
post #23 of 1136 Old 08-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The main thing I still don't like about it is the fact that there is no OSD and I can't see the LCD from my listening position.

Hi Jack,

I have the Musica, and have been very happy with its sound, but, like you, it took a little while to work through some issues.

Just FYI, I have had no problem connecting the Musica to my home network via wi-fi. I use WEP security, so I had to enter the 128-bit encryption key, but it basically works flawlessly now. I really enjoy the ability to listen to Internet radio stations via this connection. As was mentioned previously, the Web interface is a bit slow, so hopefully this will be addressed in the near future.

Re: the OSD, is your unit upgraded to the latest version (2.2.2, I believe)? If so, there is a new feature implemented that allows you to increase the size of the text on the display. To do so, press the Menu button. You may have to press it several times, as the first time or two simply navigates up the levels of the menu (depending on where you are when you press it). I have found the increased text size to be quite readable from my listening position, which is ~8 feet from the display.

I've got about 210 CDs ripped into my unit now (in FLAC format), and the sound to me is fantastic. Not to mention the ability to access any of my tunes without flipping through my folders...or even waiting a couple of seconds for disc access. Pretty incredible, I think. Just make sure you back up regularly! I use a Maxtor 200 GB external hard drive, and have had to recover once. Having the songs available immediately for backup (already in FLAC) made the experience much more tolerable...

Enjoy!

Regards,
Brad

Brad
post #24 of 1136 Old 08-08-2006, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Hi Jack,

I have the Musica, and have been very happy with its sound, but, like you, it took a little while to work through some issues.

Just FYI, I have had no problem connecting the Musica to my home network via wi-fi. I use WEP security, so I had to enter the 128-bit encryption key, but it basically works flawlessly now. I really enjoy the ability to listen to Internet radio stations via this connection. As was mentioned previously, the Web interface is a bit slow, so hopefully this will be addressed in the near future.

Re: the OSD, is your unit upgraded to the latest version (2.2.2, I believe)? If so, there is a new feature implemented that allows you to increase the size of the text on the display. To do so, press the Menu button. You may have to press it several times, as the first time or two simply navigates up the levels of the menu (depending on where you are when you press it). I have found the increased text size to be quite readable from my listening position, which is ~8 feet from the display.

I've got about 210 CDs ripped into my unit now (in FLAC format), and the sound to me is fantastic. Not to mention the ability to access any of my tunes without flipping through my folders...or even waiting a couple of seconds for disc access. Pretty incredible, I think. Just make sure you back up regularly! I use a Maxtor 200 GB external hard drive, and have had to recover once. Having the songs available immediately for backup (already in FLAC) made the experience much more tolerable...

Enjoy!

Regards,
Brad

Do you have your Musica in an equipment rack?

I did see an option to change the font size but I thought it was already set as large as possible. I'll double check. That would be great if I could increase it.

Did you rip directly to the Musica in FLAC? My problem was that I had already ripped almost all of my collection in itunes with Apple's compressed lossless format. I could only convert to AIFF from within iTunes. So I've got everything on my Opus in AIFF. You are supposed to be able to convert from AIFF to FLAC from within the OPUS but I haven't got around to fiddling with that yet.

Do you do your backup to the Maxtor via your WLAN or do you plug it into the back of the Musica?

BTW have you found any internet radio stations with good sound? I haven't experiemented a lot but I've listened to maybe 10-15 jazz stations and the sound is not particularly high quality.
post #25 of 1136 Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

My Musica is not in a rack, just in an enclosed cabinet below my tv. Wireless seems to pick up fine, though, with the wi-fi receiver two rooms away.

The font size change is not permanent when you use the Menu button, it just increases temporarily while you make a selection, then continues as normal.

Yes, I ripped all of my CDs manually to FLAC using the Musica. I have not tried using the conversion options.

For backups, I leave the drive permanently attached to the Musica via the USB port on the back.

As for Internet radio, to me it sounds pretty good. It does group stations according to transmission speed, though, which makes it easier to select a higher-quality station. (I believe this is another feature gained through the upgrade.)

Brad
post #26 of 1136 Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I know how people love equipment pics, so here is one of my Musica. Also shown are the B&K Reference 5 S2, B&K 125.2 S2, and APC power conditioner. The Maxtor is on top of the Musica.
LL

Brad
post #27 of 1136 Old 08-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Pretty good lookin' setup. Too bad Olive didn't make the lcd a color one. It would be easier to see from afar.

Stan
post #28 of 1136 Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:

My Musica is not in a rack, just in an enclosed cabinet below my tv. Wireless seems to pick up fine, though, with the wi-fi receiver two rooms away.

The font size change is not permanent when you use the Menu button, it just increases temporarily while you make a selection, then continues as normal.

Yes, I ripped all of my CDs manually to FLAC using the Musica. I have not tried using the conversion options.

For backups, I leave the drive permanently attached to the Musica via the USB port on the back.

As for Internet radio, to me it sounds pretty good. It does group stations according to transmission speed, though, which makes it easier to select a higher-quality station. (I believe this is another feature gained through the upgrade.)

Brad,

So you are using a USB-connected drive for backup.

I just ordered an Opus and was told by Olive that they were working on a firmware update that would enable NAS support. They did not elaborate further.

The reasons I was interested in NAS support are: a) I have over 2,000 CDs and will eventually need more than the 400 GB of internal storage (did not buy the 750 GB version because the $1,000 additional cost is excessive); b) I would hate to re-rip thousands of CDs in case of drive failure (and ALL hard drives fail, it is not a question of whether or not they do, but when) and need a more sophisticated backup solution than a USB-attached drive. I would consider a NAS appliance with drives in a RAID configuration (for about $1,000 you can now get a NAS unit with 1 terabyte or more).

What remains to be seen is whether Olive will offer FULL NAS suport, meaning that albums stored on the NAS would be "seen" by the Opus exactly as if they were locally stored, or support limited to backups. Olive mentioned that they would provide uPnP-cpmpliant support, which seems to indicate full NAS functionality support.

Anyone heards more on the subject? I'll report on my experience with the Opus once I get it.

BTW, I am not concerned over the rantings against Olive that were posted on Audio Circle. Seems that "jitter" has affected the author's ability to express himself rationally and clearly.

MG
post #29 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jack,Re: the OSD, is your unit upgraded to the latest version (2.2.2, I believe)? If so, there is a new feature implemented that allows you to increase the size of the text on the display. To do so, press the Menu button. You may have to press it several times, as the first time or two simply navigates up the levels of the menu (depending on where you are when you press it). I have found the increased text size to be quite readable from my listening position, which is ~8 feet from the display.

Yeah I have 2.2.2. I see what you mean about the menu button and increasing the text size. That helps a lot! This is not explained in the manual or anywhere else as far as I can tell. The Olive tech guys didn't mention it when I comlained about the lack of OSD. Nice tip. Thanks. I am going to have to program my Harmony 890 to do this as I normally control the Opus via the Harmony.
post #30 of 1136 Old 08-12-2006, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

Brad,

So you are using a USB-connected drive for backup.

I just ordered an Opus and was told by Olive that they were working on a firmware update that would enable NAS support. They did not elaborate further.

The reasons I was interested in NAS support are: a) I have over 2,000 CDs and will eventually need more than the 400 GB of internal storage (did not buy the 750 GB version because the $1,000 additional cost is excessive); b) I would hate to re-rip thousands of CDs in case of drive failure (and ALL hard drives fail, it is not a question of whether or not they do, but when) and need a more sophisticated backup solution than a USB-attached drive. I would consider a NAS appliance with drives in a RAID configuration (for about $1,000 you can now get a NAS unit with 1 terabyte or more).

What remains to be seen is whether Olive will offer FULL NAS suport, meaning that albums stored on the NAS would be "seen" by the Opus exactly as if they were locally stored, or support limited to backups. Olive mentioned that they would provide uPnP-cpmpliant support, which seems to indicate full NAS functionality support.

Anyone heards more on the subject? I'll report on my experience with the Opus once I get it.

BTW, I am not concerned over the rantings against Olive that were posted on Audio Circle. Seems that "jitter" has affected the author's ability to express himself rationally and clearly.

MG

I'm so frustrated with Windows file sharing on my LAN that I'm actually considering installing a small server. I'm not sure I understand the significance of full NAS support. If you have a server do you need this feature? Or is it just useful if you are using file sharing only?

Just out of curiosity: Is Olive shipping your Opus immediately or do you have to wait a while? There was so much delay in getting the product out in the first place I just wonder if they have stock now or are still trying to catch up with pre-orders.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page