Jolidia JD-100, what do you think of it?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-26-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the idea of being able to customize, well to a certain degree, the sound of this player.

What do you guys think about this player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 06:18 AM

As I had replied in the other forum, I really like this player. I have had it about 2 months. The variation in opinions is due to the systems the posters have. I have this system: JD100->Audioquest IC->Aragon pre-amp->Blue Jeans cable LC-1 IC->Bel Canto M300s->Anti-Cables->Von Schweikert VR-4 JR. The high end detail is crisp and clear, the soundstaging is wide and tall, the bottom end is tight without any bloating, and the midrange is very natural. I bought mine from Underwood Hi Fi (Walter) and it has the "mini-mod". He has been wonderful to work with. Of all the players we talked about, he recommended this one, knowing the system I was using. It beats the Classe and the Ah Tjoeb 4000 with upsampler I used before it. I have not yet tried other tubes because I like it the way it is. If you want more info, you can email me. Good luck!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 AM

Liked: 14
$900 is excessive for a CD player, and that is just the stock price. The mods add another $500. There are extremely good CD players for much less. (Check out Marantz, Rotel, Cambridge, etc.)
post #4 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM

I disagree with the last post. Everyone has their opinion. You might have to buy one to see how it sounds in your system, but I have never heard a Rotel, Marantz or Cambridge in any shop that is as good. You get what you pay for.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

I can get the Jolida for less than $795.00 with taxes and shipping included. However, the dealer did say he would go lower.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrisham1 View Post

I disagree with the last post. Everyone has their opinion. You might have to buy one to see how it sounds in your system, but I have never heard a Rotel, Marantz or Cambridge in any shop that is as good. You get what you pay for.

CD player technology has gotten so advanced in recent years that even a cheap, entry-level player is worthy of the best amps and speakers. A player in the $300-$600 range from one of those excellent brands has sound quality beyond my ear's ability to appreciate. Paying more cannot result in any audible improvement beyond that point (though the imaginition can be fooled by the fiction that "it costs more so it must be better".)
post #7 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

CD player technology has gotten so advanced in recent years that even a cheap, entry-level player is worthy of the best amps and speakers. A player in the $300-$600 range from one of those excellent brands has sound quality beyond my ear's ability to appreciate. Paying more cannot result in any audible improvement beyond that point (though the imaginition can be fooled by the fiction that "it costs more so it must be better".)

You forgot to add: "In my opinion"

No really, it depends on how you have it connected. If you are using a digital connection to your AVR, processor, or stand alone DAC, then I agree with you, there is very little difference in sound between players used as transports, unless one was severely deficient.
But DAC's can and do sound very different, so used as a player, you certainly can hear differences between players.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

You forgot to add: "In my opinion"

No really, it depends on how you have it connected. If you are using a digital connection to your AVR, processor, or stand alone DAC, then I agree with you, there is very little difference in sound between players used as transports, unless one was severely deficient.
But DAC's can and do sound very different, so used as a player, you certainly can hear differences between players.

I did say "my ear's". I was referring to using the DAC's in the player, not the amp. Even my $200 Onkyo is within 1% of flawless sound.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 07:44 PM

I think Daz should decide for himself. Its great if you can't hear the difference because it saves you alot of money. I can tell the difference and its worth it to me to spend more. There are many fine players of all price ranges and all sound slightly different. It's time to close this post since it isn't going anywhere. Good luck, Daz, in your search. I hope it is fun. After all, it's just about the music and whatever gear gets you closer to the music is the stuff you want.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the comments.

Have a look at my thread on Audiogon, the title is: Feedback wanted from Jolida JD100A owners.

I don't know if this link will work. Some really interesting opinions, I think I'm convinced.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...9556&read&3&4&
post #11 of 23 Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I did say "my ear's". I was referring to using the DAC's in the player, not the amp. Even my $200 Onkyo is within 1% of flawless sound.

Can you give a description of your system?, Amp, speakers etc.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-09-2006, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have kef 105/3 and 104/2 for speakers. The amp is a Luxman M-03 and pre-amp is the C-03. Currently the CDPs are a Sony, 10 yrs old, and a Luxman DZ-03, 16 yrs old.

My plan is to get a new set of amps like the Nuforce Ref 9 mono blocks and a new CDP. From what I've been told you should always upgrade the source first.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 441
You may want to confirm those Nuforce amps don't have the problems with emitting junk that screws up radio reception. I believe the manufacturer has a fix.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #14 of 23 Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you obviously have not heard an audio research cd7 or reimyo or esoteric player. you cannot really believe that a $300 player is the same sonically. like i said, you cannot make such a comment if you have actually heard these cd players.

in relation to the original posters question, i did own the jolida 100 with mod 1 and swapped the tubes with nos amperex bugle boy 12ax7. this combo was phenominal, my audio research cd3 which costs 3x the cost was only slightly better, i think it is one of the best players you can get under $1k and it will compete with players up to the $3k mark.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-19-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
is it the same as the jd-100s?

http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/new_page_1512161.htm

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #16 of 23 Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

i think the s version is 220v, i could be mistaken but i would go for the 100a if your in north america or need 110v to be sure.

post #17 of 23 Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's a reason why the Reimyo sounds the way it does.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #18 of 23 Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

you cannot really believe that a $300 player is the same sonically.

The standards for CD recording and playback were set to make any deviation from a theoretically perfect signal be below the threshold of audibility. Any CD player that achieves these standards will therefore sound as good as any other. In fact, a CD player with a "unique" sound must be doing something it shouldn't. The best that a "high-end" player can hope for is to reduce the (already inaudible) deviation even farther.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or to let in out of band components back into the audible portion of the musical spectrum...like the Reiymo, Audio Note, a few others.

post #20 of 23 Old 03-05-2007, 08:14 PM

I have the Jolida 100 on the way. I have the Nad 163 pre amp and 973 amp to go with it. Will analog or digital imputs be best with this unit. I also have Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. Any suggestion as far as tubes are concerned, as I have heard that the stock ones are not good. Thanks, any imput appreciated.

Joe
post #21 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

analog all the way and amperex bugle boys 12ax7 or sylvania gold pin 5751 are the best i found when i used to own the unit. i tried absolutely every tube and found these 2 to be the best in my system. pc and interconnects made a noticeable difference as well so don't skimp on them either.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Where can you get the Bugle Boys? May I ask what power cord and interconnects did you use and why did you get rid of the Jolida? Thanks for the help.

Joe
post #23 of 23 Old 03-12-2007, 06:43 AM

Received the player last week. It sounded great. The 2 tweeks I've made thus far was to change the stock tubes to Tung sol 12AX7s and the stock power cord. I did notice a difference in sound quality. There was more Bass and Definition to the music. I'm looking forward to enjoying this player. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Joe
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page