Looking for a good "TurnTable" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looking for a turntable priced 50-200 dollars thats the best money can get.. its for my dads christmas,, i know its a little late,, but this is what he wants.. Any recommendations is good .. Thanks trev.

HDTV: Samsung TX-R3079WH 720p/1080i
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-D812 7.1
CD/SACD/DVD: Sony DVP-NC685V
Speakers: Yamaha NS-P236 6.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

also what is a phono stage and a catridge?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A turntable puts out a signal that is very low in output, and is equalized with a RIAA eq curve. A phono stage boosts the output to a similar level as a CD player, etc, and applies the proper re-eq to the signal. Without either a specific phono input on the receiver, or a separate phono stage the volume will be very low, and frankly sound like crap.
A cartridge is the actual pickup where the needle is located. Some cartridges have replaceable needles (stylus), more expensive cartridge, notably moving-coil types have non-replaceable stylus. It wont be a factor in your price range, any cartridge in that range will have a replaceable stylus.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The cartridge holds the stylus (needle). Most cartridges come with the stylus at purchase. Since the stylus is subject to wear during use, it is replaceable component. The "phono stage" likely refers to the special amplification/equalization circuitry in an amp or receiver. The cartridge generates signal levels much lower than typical devices the amp receives. That signal also requires equalization since the physics of putting an audio signal on the vinyl disc requires tweaking. The phono pre-amp stage reverses that record cutting equalization to make it compatible with what it should sound like coming from the original source.

That's a quick and dirty explanation.

Hope that helps.

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
Old 12-21-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

So anyone have any recommendations on that price range?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...rkLOlQzNp65In0

maybe from that site?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:38 PM

I have a Stanton STR8-30 and I am very happy with it. It's an entry level direct drive turn table. This was an upgrade from a very old Panasonic turntable that my grandfather owned. Good luck.

PS- First post :-)
Old 01-07-2007, 04:43 PM

If you can extend your budget to about $300, the new Rega P1 is hard to beat and comes pre-mounted with an Orofone cartridge. You will however, still need a phono stage to go with it. If your dad's receiver/preamp already has an MM (moving magnet type) phono input, a separate phono stage isn't necessary.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Don't expect much in that price range.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:15 AM

I would hunt for a used Music Hall MMF-2.1, Pro-ject Debut III, or the aforementioned Rega P1, all should be stellar tables if you can find one in your price range. One downside to these tables is that you have to manually change the belt to switch from 33 to 45 rpm, which on the Music Hall also means you need to lift off the platter; it's kind of a pain but down the line you can buy a Pro-ject Speed Box which works with both the Music Hall and Pro-ject tables.

I was a longtime vinyl listener and never knew how good it could sound until I got the MMF-2.1, and that's considered a bargain basement entry-level audiophile table.

Keep an eye on eBay, Audiogon, J&R, Needle Doctor's closeouts page, and Audio Advisor's clearance page for deals/sales. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:16 PM

I just purchased the Pro-Ject ExpressionII, I was fortunate to audition the music hall mmf-2.1 and the rega. The fit and finish on the Pro-Ject was that much nicer than the other two. The same goes for the Debut III that I was looking at.

If it was connected properly we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Pro-Ject Debut III...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM

So what did you wind up with?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

ok...I have long thought of looking around for a turntable to replace the old dual that I have in my good still-operational sound system purchased in the 70s. SInce I don't play my old records very often, the problem with the dual is the belt drive seizes up, and then you have to take it in for repair, BUT you basically can't find repair places any more. (Good old Resistance Repair in Berkeley closed about 10 years ago.)

So I, to am looking for a reasonably priced and long lived replacement for my Dual...which is too bad becasue I know the cartridge and stylus were good and probably still are, given their modest use by people who were careful!

Any suggestions? (I saw an inexpensive Sony turntable at Best Buy...Model # PS-LX250H - but at $134 it can't be worth much...)

PS...I'm also starting a thread on CD recorders, unless I can find one after posting this...because I wouldn't mind a unit where I could transfer old music to CD as I listen, including my records, and also some old tapes...)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location: FCC DTV reception map
TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from my DTVPal setup here, not any more.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 PM

The Technics SL-1200 series have always been a staple for DJ's. So solely based on brand loyalty, I would have to recommend the Technics SL-BD20.

As for cartridges/stylii, I've always been a fan of Ortofon and Shure. For plain, old listening to records, I would definitely recommend the Shure M97xE.

You can find both at TurntableLab.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

I also recommend this particular turntable. The stock table and cartridge aren't bad for the price and it's easy to upgrade the Goldring Elan cartridge with a Goldring 1000 series cartridge. Tracking force would be the same for the upgrade cartridges. With the 1000 series, you'll get better high frequency response and improved bass response.