Good budget CD player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading and searching for a while on CD players and it's quite confusing. I am wanting to buy a CD player to go in my 2 ch system. I do not think AI am a discerning enough listener to justify spending $3K. The system consists of a pair od av123 mini stratas and an sp3 tube integrated amp. It will be used for CD's 100%. I'm just trying to find a point of diminishing returns for my money on a CD player that would be at a comparable level with the rest of the system. I don;t mind speding more if the performance justifies it. I'm using a cheap DVD player from wal-mart now and just looking for suggestions as to what I should look into as I really can't audition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

What's your budget?
post #3 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Liked: 14
My guess is that your cheap DVD player will sound every bit as good as something much more expensive.
post #4 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't really have a budget per se. I could whatever I want on one but that would be overkill for me. Like I mentioned, just looking for something quality that sounds better than the cheap everyday units. I would have though it could be done for $500 or less but I can't audition these things. And if Pulliamm is correct, I'd be better off sticking with the cheap $25 dvd player.
post #5 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Listen to offerings under $500 from Cambridge Audio/NAD/Rotel & Onkyo.

There is a difference vs $25 DVD player. Some people don't have the ears and/or the equipment to hear the difference - hats off to them.
post #6 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy View Post

Listen to offerings under $500 from Cambridge Audio/NAD/Rotel & Onkyo.

There is a difference vs $25 DVD player. Some people don't have the ears and/or the equipment to hear the difference - hats off to them.

Well then is there a significant difference in the sound of a $500 and $1K player? How about a $2K player? As I asked before, at what price point do you get to a point of diminishing returns.....where the price goes up exponentially but performance increases are relatively unnoticable? That's kinda where I would like to be.

I have no way of listening to each of these so I'm going to have to rely on recomendations
post #7 of 84 Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM

I have heard a $700 Rotel CD player that does not sound better to me than my $170 Onkyo CD changer through the same speakers. I have also heard a $60 Toshiba DVD player that does not sound any worse. This leads me to believe that the point of diminishing returns is pretty much the entry level. (In fact, I would say that the recording is almost always a weaker link than the player.)
Of course, for more $ you do get better build quality, less mechanical noise while the disc is spinning, smoother opening/closing drawer, etc.
post #8 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 AM

Don't forget to you use the analog ouput of the players when comparing them, otherwise you are bypassing their DAC's wich are probably of better quality in the more expensive players and you are just using them as transport.
post #9 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Don't forget to you use the analog ouput of the players when comparing them, otherwise you are bypassing their DAC's wich are probably of better quality in the more expensive players and you are just using them as transport.

Agreed. All of my comparisons have been done with analog outs. (My integrated is old-school with no digital inputs.)
post #10 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbo111 View Post

Well then is there a significant difference in the sound of a $500 and $1K player? How about a $2K player? As I asked before, at what price point do you get to a point of diminishing returns.....where the price goes up exponentially but performance increases are relatively unnoticable? That's kinda where I would like to be.

I have no way of listening to each of these so I'm going to have to rely on recomendations

Belbo111,

It depends on the players you're comparing. Sure, if you gave me 500, $1k, or $2k to spend, I would buy used hifi equipment and find you players within each price point that sounded different - no problem. Buying used basically gets you more bang for the buck.

You need to decide which features you're after. You can start with a budget universal players/combo players (Pioneer DV45A, Philips 963SA, Samsung HD 840, Oppo 970HD, Sony DVP 7700), get great sound, and still use the machine as a transport later on if you decided to get an outboard DAC. With some of these, you get DVD and SACD playback, in addition to CD playback.

And of course a totally different angle is PC-based audio. If you already have a laptop or desktop, you can get very good sounding audio, with the convenience of having digital playlists and expandable storage.

If you don't have time to listen and compare players, then unfortunately you're at the mercy of faceless contributors posting on online forums (myself included) who may or may not give you correct advice.

I would take your time, get a better idea of what's available, and set some goals to audition or borrow some gear before making a final decision.

- Steve O.
post #11 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123 View Post

Belbo111,

It depends on the players you're comparing. Sure, if you gave me 500, $1k, or $2k to spend, I would buy used hifi equipment and find you players within each price point that sounded different - no problem. Buying used basically gets you more bang for the buck.

You need to decide which features you're after. You can start with a budget universal players/combo players (Pioneer DV45A, Philips 963SA, Samsung HD 840, Oppo 970HD, Sony DVP 7700), get great sound, and still use the machine as a transport later on if you decided to get an outboard DAC. With some of these, you get DVD and SACD playback, in addition to CD playback.

And of course a totally different angle is PC-based audio. If you already have a laptop or desktop, you can get very good sounding audio, with the convenience of having digital playlists and expandable storage.

If you don't have time to listen and compare players, then unfortunately you're at the mercy of faceless contributors posting on online forums (myself included) who may or may not give you correct advice.

I would take your time, get a better idea of what's available, and set some goals to audition or borrow some gear before making a final decision.

- Steve O.

Thanks scorch, all good advice and I have considered all of it. I did plan on doing comparison once I start to get some good suggestions on players to start looking at. All of the terminology gets really baffling to me and leaves me in the dust at some point. I eventually just get to the point of "I don't care about the machine, I just wanna hear some good music."

I probably do need to set some criteria. I want to spend no more than $1K. I think that's in line with the rest of my 2 channel system. If I can audition in my listening room, good but I don't see the purpose in listening in someone else's. Used players are fine with me if they will save some money. The laptop solution is cool too as I have a nice one, but from what I've read, it compromises sound quality.
post #12 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Belbo...

if you have the time and the inclination, it is certainly possible to set up a computer-based system that will give you excellent sound. look into the squeezebox 3 from Slim Devices; it's very highly-regarded and offers good bang for the buck. FLAC or ALAC compression will offer CD quality without taking up so much HD space.

if you want to stick to a CDP, i highly recommend the Rega Apollo at the top of your price range; it lives up to its hype. for the $500 range, i'd check out the Cambridge Audio 640C v2, the NAD C542 or a used Rega Planet 2000.

and yes, there is a sizeable difference between these players and a $25 DVD player. but only your ears can tell you that for sure.

music is the best.
post #13 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 08:54 AM

Back when I was still considering a CDP upgrade, I started listening to a bunch of them (below as well as above my current CDP in price.) What I discovered is that all of them (cheap ones included) offer what I would describe as "meta" quality. What I mean by this is that they are all enough better than all the recordings I tried that they reveal the flaws in the recordings. A small number of recordings (eg "Beyond Grand Canyon" by Nicholas Gunn) are so good that my ears can detect no flaws. These sounded perfect even on a cheap DVD player. For these reasons, I have concluded that a CDP upgrade was a wild goose chase, and is no longer something I am considering.
post #14 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Back when I was still considering a CDP upgrade, I started listening to a bunch of them (below as well as above my current CDP in price.) What I discovered is that all of them (cheap ones included) offer what I would describe as "meta" quality. What I mean by this is that they are all enough better than all the recordings I tried that they reveal the flaws in the recordings. A small number of recordings (eg "Beyond Grand Canyon" by Nicholas Gunn) are so good that my ears can detect no flaws. These sounded perfect even on a cheap DVD player. For these reasons, I have concluded that a CDP upgrade was a wild goose chase, and is no longer something I am considering.

I told you once already, upgrade your the weak link of your system, the speakers, and then you will clearly hear the differences in better CD players.
post #15 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

I told you once already, upgrade your the weak link of your system, the speakers, and then you will clearly hear the differences in better CD players.

And I told you already that my speakers are not a weak link in my system (nor would they be a weak link in any system.)
post #16 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ View Post

I told you once already, upgrade your the weak link of your system, the ears, and then you will clearly hear the differences in better CD players.

i made a small edit for you.

music is the best.
post #17 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

i made a small edit for you.

Hee hee, ho ho, ha ha you are soo (not) funny.
post #18 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Belbo...

if you have the time and the inclination, it is certainly possible to set up a computer-based system that will give you excellent sound. look into the squeezebox 3 from Slim Devices; it's very highly-regarded and offers good bang for the buck. FLAC or ALAC compression will offer CD quality without taking up so much HD space.

if you want to stick to a CDP, i highly recommend the Rega Apollo at the top of your price range; it lives up to its hype. for the $500 range, i'd check out the Cambridge Audio 640C v2, the NAD C542 or a used Rega Planet 2000.

and yes, there is a sizeable difference between these players and a $25 DVD player. but only your ears can tell you that for sure.

This sounds good but something worries me. What do you mean by "if you have the time and the inclination" ?? I don't know much about these things. If it's really complicated, I might be better off with something simple.

They seem to sell for $300 though which is better than the stand alone players I've been looking at.

I'll do some searching but is it really difficult to set these things up?
post #19 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This sounds good but something worries me. What do you mean by "if you have the time and the inclination" ?? I don't know much about these things. If it's really complicated, I might be better off with something simple.

They seem to sell for $300 though which is better than the stand alone players I've been looking at.

Belbo111,

Setting up PC as a source is not as easy as plugging in, hooking up and CD player and pressing "play".

It's not difficult to setup PC audio, however. A friend of mine recently got a Squeezebox and was playing music off his laptop in less than half an hour.

Don't be scared off by this - it's fun, convenient, and you can make adjustments later on if you start getting bored with your setup.

- Steve O.
post #20 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it's more time consuming than complicated, especially if you have a large collection. you just need to make sure you have a large enough HD. then rip everything to FLAC or ALAC, add the SB3 (and maybe a DAC later on) and you've got super-convenient, high-end sound. if i were doing it today, i'd buy a Mac Mini, one of those 300gb HDs that stack right on the mini, and an SB3 and voila.

music is the best.
post #21 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, sounding better, as long as soubd quality is on a par. I could just use my imac, plenty of storage room on it. Is there any difference in sound quality between the wireless and wired versions?
post #22 of 84 Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well I don't really have a budget per se. I could whatever I want on one but that would be overkill for me. Like I mentioned, just looking for something quality that sounds better than the cheap everyday units. I would have though it could be done for $500 or less but I can't audition these things. And if Pulliamm is correct, I'd be better off sticking with the cheap $25 dvd player.

Trust me Pulliamm is not completly correct for a $25 dvd player is NOT going to perform with the better dedicated CD players in the $500-700 range so long as ones downstream equipment is up to the task . I believe your is ! The Rotel 1072 is arguably one of the better sub 1k players out there as is the Rega offering. If you don't believe me just look on the "Gon" next time one comes up for sale and see how long it takes to sell !!
post #23 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post

Trust me Pulliamm is not completly correct for a $25 dvd player is NOT going to perform with the better dedicated CD players in the $500-700 range so long as ones downstream equipment is up to the task.

Admittedly, the cheapest player I listened to was $69.00, over 2.5 X as much as that Wal-Mart special. Also, I did not directly compare it to the $700 Rotel. Rather, It sounded no worse than my Onkyo, which in turn sounded no worse than the Rotel.
post #24 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Admittedly, the cheapest player I listened to was $69.00, over 2.5 X as much as that Wal-Mart special. Also, I did not directly compare it to the $700 Rotel. Rather, It sounded no worse than my Onkyo, which in turn sounded no worse than the Rotel.

but you state in another thread that you didn't compare the Rotel and Onkyo side by side, either.

it's an invalid comparison, and your advice is misleading.

music is the best.
post #25 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:

but you state in another thread that you didn't compare the Rotel and Onkyo side by side, either.

it's an invalid comparison, and your advice is misleading.

I compared the Toshiba and Onkyo in the same system. The Rotel had a much better than fair chance of sounding superior because it was being used with a matching Rotel amp in a room designed specifically for the 705s, but it did not sound better in spite of those advantages.
It is time for you to give up and just admit that a "better" CD player is an illusion. The $69.00 DVD player is good enough for a system where everything else costs 100 times as much.
(Unless you want to suggest that my ordinary apartment with DIY treatments somehow magically makes everything sound better than the dealer's custom-built showroom.)
post #26 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I compared the Toshiba and Onkyo in the same system. The Rotel had a much better than fair chance of sounding superior because it was being used with a matching Rotel amp in a room designed specifically for the 705s, but it did not sound better in spite of those advantages.
It is time for you to give up and just admit that a "better" CD player is an illusion. The $69.00 DVD player is good enough for a system where everything else costs 100 times as much.
(Unless you want to suggest that my ordinary apartment with DIY treatments somehow magically makes everything sound better than the dealer's custom-built showroom.)

and so you will maintain with all your heart until it becomes convenient (or necessary) for you to change your opinion.

seen it all before.

music is the best.
post #27 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

My dear man you are trully mixed up !!! You talking about "better Cd players being an illusion" ???? I don't know about you but I tend to evaluate them with my ears and not my eyes !!

And as far as your apartment being better sonically, well I would think it to be quite possible !! Think about it........... example, who on this forum dosen't have a better listening room than anything Tweeter has to offer in their lousy stores !!!!
post #28 of 84 Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've listened to all kinds of players and player quality does matter, especially if you're using the internal DAC to run analog connections to your pre-amp. I've listened to the Marantz 5001, Rotels, NAD and Cambridge, as well as many inexpensive players and the better players do offer a cleaner, less harsh sound and are certainly worth it if the rest of our components downstream can benefit from it.

If you think that a $500, $1000 or $2000 CD player is always going to sound the same as a <$100 CD player then either your ears aren't good enough, or the rest of your components aren't good enough to resolve the differences.

my NADs are new
post #29 of 84 Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:

... I'm just trying to find a point of diminishing returns for my money on a CD player that would be at a comparable level with the rest of the system. I don;t mind speding more if the performance justifies it. I'm using a cheap DVD player from wal-mart now and just looking for suggestions as to what I should look into as I really can't audition.

Bel,
What are you using now from Walmart as there are some atrocious sounding DVD units (Diamond ).

Definitely take a look at the Toshiba 3990 ...it has the soul of the earlier generation units without needing any mods. Read Stereophile's take of the diminishing returns of CD players over DVD players.

PeAK
post #30 of 84 Old 01-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

If you think that a $500, $1000 or $2000 CD player is always going to sound the same as a <$100 CD player then either your ears aren't good enough, or the rest of your components aren't good enough to resolve the differences.

BINGO! That's EXACTLY what VixAjax and I have been trying to tell Pulliamm.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page