Looking for comments on using iPod as input device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for suggestions/comments on using a iPod connected to the audio system as a digital source. Assuming the music has been stored in uncompressed format, what might be good ways to connect.

The only docking station I am aware of so far is the DLO HomeDock Deluxe with RCA outputs.

Are there better ways to connect to ones quality audio system?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 PM

iPod itself cannot output digital signal. iTune via Airport can. I have my Airport Express connected to a Benchmark DAC-1 into a Classe CA-2200 driving a pair of B&W 802. The sound is amazing. BTW, I used EAC to rip the CDs.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

fulusu: I currently use Apple's lossless encoder in iTunes. Do you think that EAC is better? are there any issues with using it and can I add the songs to iTunes library after ripping with EAC? Thanks
post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Fulusu, EAC is only a ripping program, correct? Do you compress your files? What codec do you use. Currently I'm using windows media to rip a wave for an archive and then I batch them into FLAC for my squeezebox. It appears that EAC may be much better at error correction than WMP
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnanderson View Post

I am looking for suggestions/comments on using a iPod connected to the audio system as a digital source. Assuming the music has been stored in uncompressed format, what might be good ways to connect.

The only docking station I am aware of so far is the DLO HomeDock Deluxe with RCA outputs.

Are there better ways to connect to ones quality audio system?

Jim

I have the feeling you don't necessarily mean "digital source" literally -- that is, you're not looking for a strictly digital connection between the ipod and the receiver, but rather for a way to use the ipod as a music server in a high quality audio system. Am I correct?

Users' comments at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sunsinns186-20) don't rate the audio quality of the HomeDock Deluxe even at an "acceptable" level.

I have the feeling if there were a good way of getting acceptable audio from an ipod to a really good stereo system we'd have heard about it by now.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

I am also very sceptical that wireless sound can be audiophile quality.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use a Squeezebox v3 connected wirelessly to my iTunes on my PC, where all my CDs are ripped via Apple Lossless.

I use the Squeezebox's coax digital out into "cheap" Monarchy DIP Upsampler ( and anti-jitter ), outputting 24/96 into my Bel Canto Pre/Pro. My whole system has many power & cable & vibration tweaks, but I will spare those details.

Does it sound quite good ? Yes !
Does it sound close to my CD transport into the Bel Canto Pre/Pro ? No.
One immediate observation is that imaging is poor and has minimal depth.

There is a audiophile version of the Squeezebox called the Transporter but I have not read up on it much since its release to see if it is indeed "audiophile" quality.

- Andy
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How much ya want to spend?

http://www.sound4sale.com/

No affiliation to the above product, agree with a SB setup. I too use a dedicated PC running Apple Lossless to my Ipod, and to a Squeezebox 3 to my audio system. (all "wired")

If you already have a PC/harddrive for music storage, anywhere in your home, add a wire/wireless router system. Then the Squeezebox can be place in your audio system, whereever that may be. BTW, it has a display you can actually read from across the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lammer View Post

I use the Squeezebox's coax digital out into "cheap" Monarchy DIP Upsampler ( and anti-jitter ), outputting 24/96 into my Bel Canto Pre/Pro. My whole system has many power & cable & vibration tweaks, but I will spare those details.
- Andy

I'm thinking about trying one of the Scott Nixon tube DAC+ units with my SB, along with a digital EQ in the chain. The best sound I had so far was driving the Squeexebox directly into my power amp/speakers, but since have had to change things around.

You got to admit the convenience of a SB system, compared to digging though the CD bin is great! I also have a small portable laptop, that I have setup as an in-seat controller for Slimserver , but my library isn't yet big enough to require using it.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 AM

Mikeyc,

EAC is better that Apple Lossless in a sense that there are more options to 'fix' the CD, I use it to fix the DC offsets and truncate the leading and ending silence passages. I also re-nromalize the tracks that are being mastered too soft.

These wav files are converted to Apple Lossless - because wav files are converted to Apple Lossless before streaming to the Aiport Express anyway. These are bit-by-bit accurate.

The quality is better than a burned copy because burning disc is another 'mechanical' process. Any mechanical process will introduce unwanted consequences.

I am extremely happy with the sound.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page