Official Bada-HD22 CDP Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-13-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am awaiting its arrival, any reviews or comments from personal experience with this CDP?

More Info Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Cheap Chinese copy of a Shanling circuit that is in turn a revision and probably improvement of an OEM circuit used in a lot of Yamaha, Denon etc. Shanling got some attention because of its looks but had terrible reliability problems. Made on inexpensive circuit board in a cheap, thin guage case with no point to point whatsoever. Uses a mediocre sounding tube more often used in guitar amps to soften it's poor high end performance. But the tube is cheap so you could try tube rolling. Chinese always put cheap tubes in their stuff but don't mark the tubes so you neve know what you got. That price range is tough, not enough money to get something that sounds really good. Almost might as well save your money and just use your DVD player.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 AM

I've had this player for two years. It works fine. The case is not cheap, it's solid aluminum and weighs 18 pounds. If you open the lid you will find no cheap parts inside. It has two power supplies for analog and digital. The stock tube is a 6N3 which is same tube used in the Shanling T100. I switched my tube to a WE 369A with great results. What I like about this player is you have the choice of using either the tube buffered output or the none buffered output. I have my player hooked up to three different sources on my preamp, so with a flick of a switch, I can go from tube buffered internal dac to non buffered internal dac to external dac. For the price of this player I have no regrets. It's well worth the money I paid.

Jay
post #4 of 25 Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Ive seen the inards of one of these babies and agree with r100gs this is not a cheapie.It has niceities like dual power transformers ,Burr Brown DAC and OPA 2134 opamps in the low pass filter section and analog output stage,lots of well executed voltage regulation and Solen polyprop output coupling caps.All for a very reasonable price.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well compared to my old Panasonic dvd player, it really made the music come alive!
Unbelievable how much warmer the bass now is and the highs are louder, more refined and crystaline in nature. The instruments now are more individual in the soundstage. This cd player has shaped my sound in a very positive way, I guess its that tube warmth everybody talks about when its re: tubes. And I concur the case is very solid and it is heavy for a cd player. Big improvement, well made and well worth the money. I am sure it would stack up well against the Apollo that costs twice as much.

Audionutz - I have come to the conclusion that you were typing without a clue...basing your opinion on prejudice of some sort instead of fact or experience...
post #6 of 25 Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

From Bada, a vacuum tube HDCD vacuum
tube CD Player with the sound of CD players
costing 3 times as much. The Player uses
Burr Brown 's latest PCM1732 HDCD D/A chip
set. The Bada H22 provides two sets of
outputs: solid state and vacuum tube.

The player uses the great sounding 6N3 tube
that can also be found in the Shanling T-100
of which its design is based. The 6N3 tube
is a dual triode and in one working tube can
be found two working tubes: one for each
channel. The tube is used as cathode
follower from the BURR BROWN OPA2134
OPAMPS and since the circuit uses both
sides of the 6N3, only one tube is necessary.
( this is the same configuration that all the
Lite DACs follow).

The result is superior tube based HDCD
sound from a reasonably priced CD player.
You can also compare this circuit
configuration to the AH! TJOEB that uses
6922 tubes in a cathode configuration and
projects the "grain" so common from low end
6922 tubes. BADA gives you one great tube,
the 6N3 with its clear holographic image
without the grain.

Specifications:,

Philips Laserhead and Transport
BurrBrown PCM1732 HDCD D/A Chipset
6N3 / 5670 Tube
96KHz/24Bit Digital Output
HDCD Filter Optimized For 44.1KHz To
96KHz
Tube and solid state Output
Two quality Transformer s for Digital and
Analogue
High Quality Op Amplifier - BB OPA260
Output Power: <=2.2V
Frequency Response: 20Hz~20kHz(±0.
5dB)
S/N Ratio: >=110dB
THD: <=0.005%
Dynamic Range: 110dB
Channel Separation: 96dB
Power Input: AC 120v
Power Consumption: <=70W
Dimension (LxHxD): 43.0 x 11.0 x 37.0 cm
Net Weight: 8.0kg

For Website CLICK HERE
post #7 of 25 Old 02-14-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Vampyro: Thanks for starting this thread. I did read a professional review of this player, but I greatly value user reviews. Can I ask a few questions? How does it handle CD-Rs? Also, what is your associated gear? When you say the highs are "louder", are they still smooth, or do the highs occassionally get harsh and peaky sounding? You mentioned that imaging is very good, but how about soundstage dimensions - does the soundstage extend beyond the speakers to the side, rear, front and top? Thanks in advance!

"Not everything that can be measured counts, and not everything that counts can be measured." - Albert Einstein (paraphrase)
post #8 of 25 Old 02-14-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

The highs are louder and much smoother, more natural....The bass isn't louder its just more defined, laid back and undistorted, warm is usually the term thats used.
I use a sunfire amp with Focal 826V. Soundstage is a little more horizontal, a tiny bit more virtual room on both sides. I think though that speakers are more responsible for soundstage than a cdp. Going from a dvd player to the Bada is like the focusing of a camera lens. I havent had a problem with cd-r yet.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 AM

Vamp,

It sounds like you are using the tube outs on the BADA.

Did you try the SS outs? If so, what was the difference?
post #10 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

i never tried them
post #11 of 25 Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Since I have my Bada hooked up three different ways. I still find myself always listening to the tube buffered dac. My external dac sounds great compared to the internal non-buffered dac, but the dynamics the tube provides is easily a winner for me.

Jay
post #12 of 25 Old 03-10-2007, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutz View Post

Cheap Chinese copy of a Shanling circuit that is in turn a revision and probably improvement of an OEM circuit used in a lot of Yamaha, Denon etc. Shanling got some attention because of its looks but had terrible reliability problems. Made on inexpensive circuit board in a cheap, thin guage case with no point to point whatsoever. Uses a mediocre sounding tube more often used in guitar amps to soften it's poor high end performance. But the tube is cheap so you could try tube rolling. Chinese always put cheap tubes in their stuff but don't mark the tubes so you neve know what you got. That price range is tough, not enough money to get something that sounds really good. Almost might as well save your money and just use your DVD player.

has NO idea what he's talking about here...
post #13 of 25 Old 03-10-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 529
How is service handled?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #14 of 25 Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted screws replaced and Pacificvalve couldn't help, I don't know what they would if the machine broke under warranty but that is the weak link of this cdp chain; customer support!
post #15 of 25 Old 03-17-2007, 01:54 PM

Hello,
I am a new member here and have purchased this cdp. I have had it for a month and love it. Solid build, quality components and great sound. Very satisfied so far.
I labored over this purchase as I realized that after 90 days, there is no warranty or any real customer support, but I was in the market for a new cdp FROM MY HK FL8380 changer and the tube output made me decide to go with this unit even with the lack of a decent warranty period. It also helped that I found this thread before I made my decision also.
They can and will do repairs but it will cost you. Only time will tell if I made the right decision to go with this but as of now I love to listen to it.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Its the best player at this price by a good ways,Affordable Audio has a nice review on it,if I just didnt shell out the money for my new 75 pound Melody player,i would have bought this player it will perform at the $1500 very competively and with a few mods substancially above that,i think im gonna get it for my 2nd system,and put the 541i on Audiogon!
post #17 of 25 Old 03-27-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutz View Post

Totally untrue have you ever heard the Shanling player for a long time it was the best sounding 2k player I had heard I was a inch away from buying it,you dont know what you are talking about.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Only an inch?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #19 of 25 Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM

r100gs,
what is the model of your external dac that u compared to the bada's tube buffer?
post #20 of 25 Old 03-28-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvis View Post

r100gs,
what is the model of your external dac that u compared to the bada's tube buffer?

Xindak DAC-3

Jay
post #21 of 25 Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Hello, something different about the Bada HD-22.
My Bada makes a loud click sound evertime I change tracks. The sound occurs after I have selected the track and just before the track starts playing.Anyone know about this? What parts are needed for replacement and where can I buy them?--any help please. -----Australia
post #22 of 25 Old 06-28-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats a nice player congrats.I wonder how it compares to the player i just purchased.It's an eastern electric minimax.The player has received raving reviews at soundstage and 6moons.Also at audioreview users rate it very highly which i think is unusual at audioreview.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM

In reference to my Bada making a click sound evertime I change tracks---thanks to some helpful people,I have discovered this is 'normal'.The sound is coming from a relay switch to the outputs.The relay switch is 'muting' the outputs so that no sound is emited while the cd player searches for the selected track.Apparently this type of relay switch is used on quality players and is common with many different brands of tube cd players.Transistors are not used at this output stage as they are still subject to noise interference. I am much relieved to hear this and am enjoying the beautiful warm, detailed sound from this player.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Still loving this CDP, no reason to change yet...

BTW I do need get a click when I change tracks...
post #25 of 25 Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I recently put together a retro tube system with a HH Scott 299C integrated amp and was wondering how this player sounds with a Tube amp? Has or is any one still using this player?

Athanasios
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page