post #91 of 128 Old 03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb View Post

I've heard CD players that sound better than the 3930 does on SA-CD or DVD-A.

bull-crap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

bull-crap!

Regardless of the technology (SA-CD/DVD-A) the 3930 is still mid-fi. Your way of reasoning would suggest that a $150 universal from Oppo will sound better than a top flight CD player just because it includes SA-CD. Now that's BULL-CRAP.

You guys are funny. Hello!! Is there anybody in there?? Wake up.

It's hilarious that these threads always turn into people having to defend or justify the products they own.
post #93 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

Sorry,but the dust has settled Cd is the premier format,spend your money on a great redbook player,if you can get into vinyl some to,if you have the patience can be a very fun listen.Playing redbook on universal players is a bad news,which you will be doing,because the software with DVD-Audio and SACD is to limited,if you like those formats get a decent budget machine,and seperate it from your redbook playback,I've never heard a 5k universal player sound as good as a $500 cd player such as a Nad 542,Music Hall CD-25 or a Cambidge 640 Azure,let alone something like a Rega Planet,Jolida CD-100 or a Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 even these are just budget to modest priced players with the othet 3 mentioned really cheap budget players,not to mention the bundle of excellent Chinese Tube players,and it doesent matter who makes the universal player it will never match a quality CDP at redbook playback.

How can a blanket statement be made that all universal players are worse than a "quality" CDP for redbook? Is there some technical reason a universal player can't produce a correct bitstream with low enough jitter?

Or that all analog outputs on all universal players are not well made?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #94 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Regardless of the technology (SA-CD/DVD-A) the 3930 is still mid-fi. Your way of reasoning would suggest that a $150 universal from Oppo will sound better than a top flight CD player just because it includes SA-CD. Now that's BULL-CRAP.

You guys are funny. Hello!! Is there anybody in there?? Wake up.

It's hilarious that these threads always turn into people having to defend or justify the products they own.

Nobody is saying that 3930 is the best CD player at any price. However, it may be as good as a stand alone CD player at the same price range. The whole thing started from the statement that a universal player is always worse for redbook CD than a CD player at the same price range. From what I have read in many professional reviews (and from my own experience), this may simply not be true. Many mid to high-level universal players have been reported to be as good at redbook CD as stand alone CD players at the same price. Certainly more expensive CD players may be better then 3930. However, I still think that SACD on 3930 is better than CD on more expensive CD players. Certainly there are better SACD players but that is beyond the point here.

By the way, I don't own 3930 and your remark about defending products would also apply to people who own and defend CD players and trash universal players.
post #95 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the 3930 is still mid-fi.

not exactly. Just read the review:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...on-dvd-3930ci/
post #96 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I think we can all agree that SACD and DVD-Audio, theoretically can be better than CD. Whether in real life that's true, is hard to say.

SACD/DVD-Audio main advantage compared to CD is multi-channel playback, and is true in real life. Classical music sounds much better in MCH than in stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Anyway, arguing semantics is a waste of time. SACD failed, and DVD-Audio will probably fail.

For SACD to be a failed format there are quite a few new SACD releases each month. Here are statistics for one site of SACD titles registered there: http://www.sa-cd.net/additions.php
post #97 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Maybe not failed, but niche. Like vinyl.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #98 of 128 Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Maybe not failed, but niche. Like vinyl.

Sad but true.
post #99 of 128 Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 AM

I apologize for being ignorant in this area but is there a unit that will record cds and allow you to store them and then have all your cds available to play. I have a home theatre system with a 50" panasonic plasma, hda1 hddvd player, two video tuners(ota&cable), a phillips receiver, and an older phillips 5cd changer that we play our cds on. I know it sounds like a computer can do this, but what unit can I replace the cd changer with that I can store my cds on and also program into my harmony 880.

Thanks - Dan
post #100 of 128 Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglars57 View Post

I apologize for being ignorant in this area but is there a unit that will record cds and allow you to store them and then have all your cds available to play. I have a home theatre system with a 50" panasonic plasma, hda1 hddvd player, two video tuners(ota&cable), a phillips receiver, and an older phillips 5cd changer that we play our cds on. I know it sounds like a computer can do this, but what unit can I replace the cd changer with that I can store my cds on and also program into my harmony 880.

Thanks - Dan

So-called CD player music servers. Cambridge Audio has one for roughly 1200$. It has only a 160GB drive though. For your purposes, it might be more advantagous just to use a computer with at least 1 Terabyte storage for .wav rips of your cds. Of course, it depends on how many cds you have, I own quite a bit -- thus my recommendation for at least 1TB storage space.
post #101 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladP View Post

Solid dvd players are often as good as solid cd players at the same price point.

On what do you base this statement?

IMHO, the best you can get for playing a Redbook CD is a player equipped with a CD mech that was designed for the task. For instance the Lyngdorf CD-1 is equipped with a Philips mech that ONLY reads Redbook CD and nothing else.

Peter
post #102 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried putting other disks in it?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #103 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

On what do you base this statement?

IMHO, the best you can get for playing a Redbook CD is a player equipped with a CD mech that was designed for the task. For instance the Lyngdorf CD-1 is equipped with a Philips mech that ONLY reads Redbook CD and nothing else.

Peter

I base this statement on numerous professional reviews and on my own experience. In addition, I am not aware of any special advantages offered by the mechanism that only reads redbook CD. And DVD mech has been designed to read readbook CD as well as several other formats.
post #104 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luismanra View Post

"PURE DIRECT" does not mean "Analog Bypass". I have an older Marantz receiver (18Ex) and you can hear it in the pure direct mode while using a digital connection.

Correct. The Pure Direct Feature does not necessarily means analog bypass.

In Denon players and receivers the Pure Direct works as follows:

If the input signal is analog, all digital circuitry is turned off. Even the front panel is turned off. But digital input signals remain digital until conversion just before the volume control and the propietary ALPHA 24 Processing (AL24) kicks in.

Quote:

Nobody is saying that 3930 is the best CD player at any price. However, it may be as good as a stand alone CD player at the same price range. The whole thing started from the statement that a universal player is always worse for redbook CD than a CD player at the same price range. From what I have read in many professional reviews (and from my own experience), this may simply not be true. Many mid to high-level universal players have been reported to be as good at redbook CD as stand alone CD players at the same price. Certainly more expensive CD players may be better then 3930. However, I still think that SACD on 3930 is better than CD on more expensive CD players. Certainly there are better SACD players but that is beyond the point here.

By the way, I don't own 3930 and your remark about defending products would also apply to people who own and defend CD players and trash universal players.

Well, I don't own the DVD 3930 but the DVD 3910, and I previously owned the DVD 2900 that I sold to my brother when I got the 3910.

I also own three CD players: A modified Rotel RCD 1072, The Arcam FMJ CD33 and the H/K 8385FL CD changer.

I've done some comparisons with all these players and my personal experience is that the Rotel or the Arcam sound "better" than the Denon 3910 or the 2900 playing CDs. Furthermore, some friends that have also listened to my gear have dared to declare the Rotel and the Arcam sound better than the 3910 even when a SACD is used.

But all these players sound "better" than the H/K 8385.

I've noticed that the apparent advantage of the dedicated CD players is related to the output level. For instance, the H/K has a nominal voltage output equal to 1.2 volts. The Rotel and Denon 3910's voltage output is 2.0 volts and the Arcam's is 2.3 volts.

This means that if anyone is trying to do a fair comparison between different players, level matching is absolutely mandatory. Otherwise the comparisons are not valid at all.

BTW, I've used my Odissey Candela tube preamp and my Rotel RB-1080 stereo amplifier in all my recent comparisons.
post #105 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Now, translate those voltages to dB differences and you find...

post #106 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I know that....

Let's take my H/K and Rotel CD players for a quick evaluation. The voltage output difference for these two Cd players can result in a difference to 4.4dB!

Does anyone has ever realized that this level imbalance could be easily related to the apparent "better soundstage" of the Rotel CD player?

This quick calculation is not taking into account the output impedance differences of my CD players, but for practical purposes it is reasonably valid.
post #107 of 128 Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the best you can get for playing a Redbook CD is a player equipped with a CD mech that was designed for the task. For instance the Lyngdorf CD-1 is equipped with a Philips mech that ONLY reads Redbook CD and nothing else

is this unit [really] worth $3000.00 (for only RedBook)?
post #108 of 128 Old 04-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I base this statement on numerous professional reviews and on my own experience. In addition, I am not aware of any special advantages offered by the mechanism that only reads redbook CD. And DVD mech has been designed to read readbook CD as well as several other formats.

Read this: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...gital&m=118491

Peter
post #109 of 128 Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

is this unit [really] worth $3000.00 (for only RedBook)?

IMHO, yes, but your mileage may vary. The Lyngdorf CD-1 is optimized and best used with a Lyngdorf, TacT, or Boz amplifier.

The DAC in the CD-1 is supposedly "Ok" for the price, but definitely not the best in the game. As a pure transport (DAC disabled) the CD-1 is awesome.

Peter
post #110 of 128 Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried putting other disks in it?

No, but I don't see how that possibly could work:
1) Mech is made by Philips and is a Redbook CD only mech
2) Electronics & software is Lyngdorf's own proprietary software, optimized and designed solely for the task of reading Redbook CD.

Peter
post #111 of 128 Old 04-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Read this: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...gital&m=118491

Peter

I've read this and it is simply an opinion of another person who is speculating. You need to provide something more serious supported by science
post #112 of 128 Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The DAC in the CD-1 is supposedly "Ok" for the price, but definitely not the best in the game. As a pure transport (DAC disabled) the CD-1 is awesome.

what type of CDP brand/model do you use in your system?
post #113 of 128 Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've read this and it is simply an opinion of another person who is speculating.

Agreed. I read the text too and the author provides nothing more than a personal opinion..
post #114 of 128 Old 04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what type of CDP brand/model do you use in your system?

An old Sony DVP-S7700, because I used to assume that digital is digital and that a DVD-Rom should be able to play a CD just fine.

I will pick up a Lyngdorf CD-1 and see if it makes a difference. (The rest of my setup is all digital: TCS and Boz 216/2200).

Peter
LL
post #115 of 128 Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Agreed. I read the text too and the author provides nothing more than a personal opinion..

Yeah, I guess it was kind of out of context... However, what that author says, pretty much summarizes the experiences of people in this excellent discussion (in Swedish): http://www.minhembio.com/forum/index...&f=65&t=152643

Peter
post #116 of 128 Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No, but I don't see how that possibly could work:
1) Mech is made by Philips and is a Redbook CD only mech
2) Electronics & software is Lyngdorf's own proprietary software, optimized and designed solely for the task of reading Redbook CD.

Oh, I just figured if you had a few other discs laying around, you could 'test' the statement on Lyngdorf's website. Pop a few burned discs in, some DVD's, and just see what plays.

1) Of more interest for the enduser might be to find out which model transport is being used. Is it one that's current, is it a consumer or pro based one, and all that good stuff.
2) With all due respect so what and how do you know? The most proprietary and uniquely developed software may very well be the display. A lot of the building blocks that constitute a CDP are provided by several companies with some input provided by the company sourcing the items. Maybe he's got his own proprietary algorithm but I've no idea whether the purpose is to only get what's on the CD off, or to also add some flavor. IOW, having a proprietary algorithm is nothing new nor does it mean much in and of itself.

It is a very handsome player though and I rather expect it'll acquit itself fine. Do you have a disc to test its handling of CD defects?

post #117 of 128 Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Back to the original question about holding off on procurement of a new CD player:

I have been using a Magnovox FD 1000 since 1984. It's a 14 bit player! I just replaced it with a NAD C542 for about $400. The NAD seems to be respected for a player in its price range. I've listened for a few days now to mostly classical music.

What has 20+ years of CD music reproduction refinement yielded?

The old technology tended to have a raspy digital edge. I can verify the Magnovox is not defective because I can clearly hear it on my reference selections using other players of the 90s vintage. Now, that's very much improved but not completely solved with the NAD. But I'm happy for that improvement alone although orchestral recordings still sound scratchy to me.

What else? Well nothing obvious; there's no dramatic improvement with soundstage. In addition to listening, I've tested that with a Test CD. I won't go into n'th order factors that 'golden ears' expound upon. These only lead to arguments that are based on individual system and listening configurations and often personal opinion and I'm not really qualified to judge the n'th order

So, you're not going to here comments like 'I just rediscovered my CD collection' from me.

So, if you need or want a new CD player, I'll say buy it now because there isn't going to be any future improvement in the overall CD sound reproduction process. I think they have run out of options to make it work properly.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #118 of 128 Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1) Of more interest for the enduser might be to find out which model transport is being used. Is it one that's current, is it a consumer or pro based one, and all that good stuff.

"The CD-1 features a Philips audio CD mechanism, designed for audio,' Lyngdorf
emphasises, not a universal or CD-ROM mechanism."

http://www.lyngdorf.com/Sites/UserDe.../HFN_Mar06.pdf

Quote:

2) With all due respect so what and how do you know?

Peter Lyngdorf's company Lyngdorf Audio (former half of TacT Audio) is a relatively small company based in Denmark. Most of the information I've gathered are from interviews with the man himself (Mr Lyngdorf). The most informative articles are unfortunately only available in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish on the net, but there is some good info in English too, like the one I quoted above

Quote:

The most proprietary and uniquely developed software may very well be the display. A lot of the building blocks that constitute a CDP are provided by several companies with some input provided by the company sourcing the items.

Good point. However, don't forget that Lyngdorf's digital amplifiers are totally based on proprietary solutions and their own software. It only makes sense that they wrote their own software for the CD-player too.

I've attached a picture of the inside of the Lyngdorf CD-1 (black version).

Peter
LL
post #119 of 128 Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

I have a very good Prepro and currently have a 3930ci. I pass the signal digitally to my prepro (Halcro SSP-100), and let the Halcro DACs do thier thing. In this case, would a stand alone CD player still sound better?

Quote:

You don't get it!!!. There are any number of dedicated CD only players that would absolutely kick your Denon's ass on Redbook Audio for far less money. I've heard CD players that sound better than the 3930 does on SA-CD or DVD-A.

post #120 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

I have a very good Prepro and currently have a 3930ci. I pass the signal digitally to my prepro (Halcro SSP-100), and let the Halcro DACs do thier thing. In this case, would a stand alone CD player still sound better?

That's the question. Lyngdorf claims it will, because a CD-solution allows the designer to provide an optimized and clean clock dedicated for CD. This quote is from the reference above:

The reason for designing for CD rather than DVD/SACD is obvious from a musical point of view. All DVD/SACD drives are based on video designs and clocks, and the output is re-sampled (uncontrolled) to audio output clocks. So our preference is simpler and better: a good audio drive, a clean clock on the drive and external optimisation. We have chosen to get the signal (off the CD) as cleanly as possible and do the last final cleaning based on our precision clock system close to the output stage.'

Peter
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page