Should We All Hold Off on Buying CD Players? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, but I trust the ears in this forum much more than a Sellers claims. They have a very vested interest after all.

What does actual experience say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

That's the question. Lyngdorf claims it will, because a CD-solution allows the designer to provide an optimized and clean clock dedicated for CD. This quote is from the reference above:

The reason for designing for CD rather than DVD/SACD is obvious from a musical point of view. All DVD/SACD drives are based on video designs and clocks, and the output is re-sampled (uncontrolled) to audio output clocks. So our preference is simpler and better: a good audio drive, a clean clock on the drive and external optimisation. We have chosen to get the signal (off the CD) as cleanly as possible and do the last final cleaning based on our precision clock system close to the output stage.'

Peter

If you go over to AudioAsylum and search for posts by Charles Hansen you can read how he solved the clocking problem in Ayre's "universal" player (and other things). You can switch clocks, it's just tricky to do it right.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #123 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Just wondering here. Are they telling you how they solved the 'clocking problem' (not that they've defined it in any tangible way) because they struggled with it while others, let's say Oppo, didn't have to struggle?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #124 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Yes, but I trust the ears in this forum much more than a Sellers claims. They have a very vested interest after all.

What does actual experience say?

Actual experience says that there is a difference, although you would think that "digital is digital" and that there should be no difference whatsoever.

IMHO the issues with clock and jitter is a plausable explanation to why there may be differences that in theory should not be there. (In theory a $10 DVD ROM should sound the same as a $2,000 CD player when digitally connected).

Peter
post #125 of 128 Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That depends upon how you do your 'actual experience', Peter. I think even more plausible explanations why there might be differences even when going digital out to some external DAC are as follows:

1) Insufficient amplitude or signal strength.
2) Issues with rise times.
3) Poor drive current capability meaning that it's ability to drive capacitive loads is compromised.

Maybe a DAC that intimately derives its clock from the incoming data stream. BTW, where can I buy a $10 DVD ROM?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #126 of 128 Old 04-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

That depends upon how you do your 'actual experience', Peter. I think even more plausible explanations why there might be differences even when going digital out to some external DAC are as follows:

Excellent point! That may explain why some people claim they can hear a difference between TosLink, S/PDIF and AES/EBU. In theory these should all sound exactly the same...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

BTW, where can I buy a $10 DVD ROM?

You already knew the answer: eBay

Peter
post #127 of 128 Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You know, if those are the really the reasons, then we're talking about junk players, regardless of price.

post #128 of 128 Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW Peter, have you seen the test reports of the Lyngdorf over at MillerAudioResearch (http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/d...gdorf_cd1.html)? Seems that it performs quite well, but interestingly the output is a little over 5 volts. I'd imagine under casual comparisons that in itself would lead to an ability to stand out in the crowd, no?

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page