Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joplass View Post

A few months ago I received for FREE one brand new MK2 CD player made by CA Electronics and one bran new Shanling CD player.

Wow! Who did you have to meet for that to happen?

Way to be economical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 838
<<<<<<<<<<<<,Best sounding / highest build quality 5 CD Changer? >>>>>>>>>>

MCD205 McIntosh

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #93 of 108 Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Wow! Who did you have to meet for that to happen?

Way to be economical.

Very funny!!! Short story. A business partner was closing down a high end electronics store in very sad circumstances.
post #94 of 108 Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM

I've been trying to get a used Rotel 1055 for over a year, and the two times one came up on eBay I couldn't spend the money at that moment. I think I'm gonna give up and just rip all the CDs to flac. I have a Squeezebox hooked up with optical to my HK645. $700 would be better spent on an amp.
post #95 of 108 Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM

I use an old Kenwood DP-R6070 5 CD Changer $37.22 ebay Score!!!!!!! Amazing sound & the transport is not cheap & flimsy.
post #96 of 108 Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM

FWIW, the Yamaha CDC 697BL 5 disk changer got very high reviews on Amazon. Much better than Denon which kind of surprised me. Maybe it shouldn't have? OTOH, I'm not sure how meaningful the reviews on Amazon are? The reviews sold me on one, although I haven't received it yet so I can't give an honest opinion either way.

Tom
post #97 of 108 Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post

FWIW, the Yamaha CDC 697BL 5 disk changer got very high reviews on Amazon. Much better than Denon which kind of surprised me. Maybe it shouldn't have? OTOH, I'm not sure how meaningful the reviews on Amazon are? The reviews sold me on one, although I haven't received it yet so I can't give an honest opinion either way.

Tom

I believe CD-C600 is the newer model compare to 697, and it shares some designs/features with its bigger brothers like S700/S1000. You should look for 600 instead.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #98 of 108 Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

I believe CD-C600 is the newer model compare to 697, and it shares some designs/features with its bigger brothers like S700/S1000. You should look for 600 instead.

Very good point. I checked them out on Amazon and noticed they both received very high marks in the reviews.

Tom
post #99 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
eek.gif Bump to an old thread. I'm looking to upgrade my 5 disc changer(don't want a single one) looking and made up my mind with the Rotel 1055 or 955 and Onkyo 390 used. Any big difference in sound between any of them? I just want a nice audiophile player. Thanks in advance.

post #100 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

eek.gif Bump to an old thread. I'm looking to upgrade my 5 disc changer(don't want a single one) looking and made up my mind with the Rotel 1055 or 955 and Onkyo 390 used. Any big difference in sound between any of them? I just want a nice audiophile player. Thanks in advance.

If you are using the digital output on either player it will not make a sonic difference. If you are using the analog outputs, the only way to know the difference in sound is to find someone who owned both and can report to you, however, your chances ae slim to none in finding which sounds better through its analog outs or more specifically, which has the better D/A converter.
post #101 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 AM

Thanks gbaby. So analog(L/R cable) will be better soundwise? I thought Optical would be better? Which would you choose from the specs? I was thinking of getting the Fiio D3 to help. I have a Quad Amp 405-2. What do you think?

post #102 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If you use the optical output, then you are using the DAC's in your receiver or external DAC. So really, the Actual CD Player becomes nothing more than a transport, and to be honest, they will all sound pretty much the same.
If you use the analog, then you are using the DAC's in your fancy CD player, and getting whatever benefit you will get from that (probably minimal), as long you are not using a receiver that digitizes the signal anyway, which is a whole 'nuther mess!wink.gif
CruelInventions likes this.
post #103 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

If you use the optical output, then you are using the DAC's in your receiver or external DAC. So really, the Actual CD Player becomes nothing more than a transport, and to be honest, they will all sound pretty much the same.
If you use the analog, then you are using the DAC's in your fancy CD player, and getting whatever benefit you will get from that (probably minimal), as long you are not using a receiver that digitizes the signal anyway, which is a whole 'nuther mess!wink.gif

That's a great explanation thank you JD! Which one would you choose out of the 3 for best eq from the specs?

post #104 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I agree with jdcrox. Taking it further, I think the aspect to pay the most attention to is reliability. Disc changers of all stripes (brands, pricepoints) tend to be more, and sometimes much more, malfunction-prone than their single disc player counterparts. So other than price and aesthetic considerations, I would spend the most time trying to suss out from user reviews and repair history data (if you can find any) which player under consideration will more likely be trouble-free.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #105 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I agree with jdcrox. Taking it further, I think the aspect to pay the most attention to is reliability. Disc changers of all stripes (brands, pricepoints) tend to be more, and sometimes much more, malfunction-prone than their single disc player counterparts. So other than price and aesthetic considerations, I would spend the most time trying to suss out from user reviews and repair history data (if you can find any) which player under consideration will more likely be trouble-free.

Most carousel changers are about as reliable as single disc players. This is because there is only one motion added to the process, which is rotating the platter that holds the discs, and that almost never is the part that is going to fail first. Other types of changers, though, tend to be much less reliable, and when they screw up mechanically, they can damage discs. I would stick with a carousel changer, and if I wanted to be able to play from more than 5 or 6 discs, I would put the discs on a hard drive and use a music server instead. Since large hard drives are cheap, one can use lossless files and can have fidelity equal to the original disc.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #106 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Agreed about the ripping to hard drive part. That is the ultimate best solution (entire music library instantly available with no sound degradation concerns). But since he didn't ask, I thought I should stick to the question at hand,i.e, changers. It's been several years since I either had one or had shopped for one. And my recollection was peppered with anecdotes of reliability being an issue.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #107 of 108 Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Reliability is a serious issue with cartridge type changers and with mega changers. That is because they have more complicated mechanisms, and when they mishandle things, they can scratch your discs. So it can be a really big deal. But with carousels, they typically are very reliable. They have only a circular motion added to the mechanism of an ordinary single disc player, and that is the least likely motion to cause any problems. Of course, like any other player, the laser can go out or any other fault may occur, and, eventually, one should expect that it will fail. The same is true of a single disc player, and just about every other device.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #108 of 108 Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up buying a used Sony SCD-CE595, should be here Fri or Sat hopefully...

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page