post #91 of 141 Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

One other thing to consider: Record producers are professionals, they know their jobs well. Everything they do is a concious choice. When they apply dynamic compresion, they do so because they know that it is what the vast majority of listeners/buyers prefer. They really don't give a rodent's backside for the opinions of your tiny "golden-eared" club, nor should they, nor do I.

Many of them complain about the "company man" demanding they use dynamic compression. They do it IN SPITE knowing it's not a good idea, not because they want to necessarily. Moreover, the reason for dynamic compression isn't because "that is what the vast majority of listeners/buyers prefer". Do a bit of searching about the "compression and loudness wars". Overcooked compression is done so that in music stores with 5-400 disc changers playing CDs in rotation, the compressed one "stands out" because uneducated and/or non-critical listeners equate "louder" with "better". Beyond that is the simple fact that if your company's compressed CD is "louder", it will stand out from the others in the changer. Pretty soon, all the major labels started doing it as no one wanted to be too "soft" amid a sea of "loud". Add to that the fact that most people listen to CDs in the car (a very noisy environment) and compression overcomes that noise--at the expense of clarity. After a decade or so of this trend, people who are never exposed to anything other than the overly compressed crap simply don't know any better.

And as for needing "golden ears"--********. No one is talking about claiming to hear the soprano sax hit an 18.7khz frequency. Overcompression is bad because some instruments, that anyone with normal hearing would hear in an uncompressed recording, on mass-market, inexpensive gear, are buried because there is no room for them. With speed metal, maybe it doesn't matter. But many genres of music offer layered instrumentation and voices whose intended effect is lost in overcompression of dynamic range. There are numerous examples that are frequently mentioned in discussions of this issue, so I'm not going to list a dozen of them. Remasters of pre-1995 rock/pop releases are frequent sources of this problem (see some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers releases).

Ask yourself why such overcompression is not the norm for classical music. It's because the flaw in the approach would be even more glaringly obvious with symphonies. Broad dynamic range is what gives music its power. It can go from a soft, gentle moment to a sudden, loud release of energy. To diminish that range to the point of nothingness is unnecessary and silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 05-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

One other thing to consider: Record producers are professionals, they know their jobs well. Everything they do is a concious choice. When they apply dynamic compresion, they do so because they know that it is what the vast majority of listeners/buyers prefer. They really don't give a rodent's backside for the opinions of your tiny "golden-eared" club, nor should they, nor do I.

Nope your wrong again PULL. They do it because it sounds louder on the radio and captures your attention. Just like TV ads.
post #93 of 141 Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Why would anyone need to "confirm" what their ears tell them, as if there were some Platonic ideal of perfect sound to compare it to in the first place? If a piece of equipment and/or a CD sounds great to the person who owns it, nobody else's opinion matters at all. I couldn't possibly care less if my ears are telling me "fibs" if I enjoy the result.

Your posts are just too ignorant and arrogant. Maybe you should try learning more from these forums rather than just giving your completely biased opinions which you think are factual. You should read what Ovation is saying and you'll learn something.
post #94 of 141 Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:

They really don't give a rodent's backside for the opinions of your tiny "golden-eared" club, nor should they, nor do I.

Your right they generally don't care about making good recordings, but it's because the number of people who appreciate it and/or have good hifi systems to appreciate is so small. The market for good recordings nearly doesn't exist next to mainstream mass produced stuff.

One thing is for sure they are not applying compression because they think it sounds better! What's next an amp manufacturer applying compression to their product because it sounds better?
post #95 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I don't know if you remember classic77, but back when all there was was vinyl, DBX came out with a product called the 3BX Expander where a person could alter the amount of expansion of music on vinyl. So long as one didn't go crazy, the results were generally pretty good. After all, vinyl produced media has far less dynamic range than CD. There are plugins for various players like winamp that purportedly do more or less the same thing although I've never tried them.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #96 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 05:35 AM

Liked: 14
Maybe it isn't compression that makes newer recordings sound better to me. Maybe it is some other aspect of recording that has improved over the years. What I am certain of is that when I compare old and new recordings by the same artist, the new one almost always sounds better, and often dramatically so. (An example is comparing Rickie Lee Jone's excellent sounding new CD "The Sermon..." with her 80s CD "Flying Cowboys", which sounds very thin and weak.)
post #97 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, you could start by trying to find out who the engineer was that did the work. Then maybe see what else he's done.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #98 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Well, you could start by trying to find out who the engineer was that did the work. Then maybe see what else he's done.

For the specific example I gave, sure. Newer recordings sounding better than old ones is the rule rather than the exception, however.
post #99 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pick up a copy of Ella & Louis, originally released in 1956, but remastered in 2000 and also available in SACD format:

I'm fairly confident this is a mono recording, and I'm also fairly confident you will find it sounds at least as good, if not better, than any CD you have in your collection. There is something about those ol' recordings.
post #100 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Maybe it isn't compression that makes newer recordings sound better to me. Maybe it is some other aspect of recording that has improved over the years. What I am certain of is that when I compare old and new recordings by the same artist, the new one almost always sounds better, and often dramatically so. (An example is comparing Rickie Lee Jone's excellent sounding new CD "The Sermon..." with her 80s CD "Flying Cowboys", which sounds very thin and weak.)

I generally find the same thing, that newer recordings sound better. There could be a variety of different reasons but I'll guess and say digital recording has improved alot, especially in the last 5 years. The best sounding CD's that I own are Pink Floyd DSOTM and Dire Straights BIA, but I'm talking the XRCD versions here.
post #101 of 141 Old 05-02-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic77 View Post

I generally find the same thing, that newer recordings sound better. There could be a variety of different reasons but I'll guess and say digital recording has improved alot, especially in the last 5 years. The best sounding CD's that I own are Pink Floyd DSOTM and Dire Straights BIA, but I'm talking the XRCD versions here.

Except that DSOTM was originally recorded in analogue and BIA was an early digital recording--neither of them is an exemplar of modern (read: last 5-7 years) of recording technology. The XRCD versions of those titles were likely (I say likely as the XRCD goal is to generate audiophile grade recordings--I haven't heard either one in XRCD) NOT subjected to the serious overcompression that is the hallmark of recent recordings. Moreover, it should be noted that the compression generally happens at the mastering stage, not the recording or mixing stages, and it is at that point that the "corporate suits" step in. Even legendary mastering houses, such as that of Bob Ludwig, are not exempt from this pressure--he gives those who pay the bills (the suits) what they want. When given free reign, though, he masters nice recordings with appropriate dynamic range.

There are some recent recordings that are very well done (it's not only the "oldies" that had it good). Check out any Alison Krauss release on Rounder Records (or any other Rounder releases for that matter). Even if you are not a fan of her work, you won't be able to avoid noticing the quality of the entire process--from recording to mixing to mastering (she produces a lot of her own work and she has a reputation for being very demanding in sound quality). So it is possible. In fact, the equipment available today is better than it's ever been--that's what so maddening about the "loudness wars". It would be like deliberately making hi-def video (HD DVD or Blu-Ray) with excessively bright colours that are far from accurate, but "pop" on the screen. TVs are displayed in this fashion to draw attention to themselves in the stores (just try to fool around with the settings to get a natural picture and see how quickly the sales guy comes over to take the remote from your hands--I speak from experience) but they can be reset. Recordings (video or audio) cannot and unless it is an artistic decision (to use oversaturated colours or heavy distortion or compression)--it happens but it's rare--recordings should be made as naturally as possible (with proper dynamic range or colours, depending the medium) and then, if the listener/viewer wants to tweak the experience with the myriad of settings available to them--so be it. Everyone wins.

So far, it appears that the video side is resisting the equivalent to the "loudness wars". It would be nice if mainstream pop/rock companies would learn from that example and emulate it.
post #102 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

Since 1999 I have used a Sony DVP-S7700 ($1200) DVD/CD player

Interesting that NOONE pointed out to me that my old Sony DVP-S7700 has the unique trait of featuring TWO discrete laser pickups: One laser for redbook CD and one laser for DVD. Thus, it will do redbook CD just as good as any regular CD player. (Now I recall that this was the reason I got the 7700).

Why would Sony manufacture a unit with two pickup lasers if a DVD laser supposedly is good enough for reading CD ?

Obviously there is more to it than pure marketing...

Peter
post #103 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Problems in playing back CDR's and CDRW's come to mind.

post #104 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Interesting that NOONE pointed out to me that my old Sony DVP-S7700 has the unique trait of featuring TWO discrete laser pickups: One laser for redbook CD and one laser for DVD. Thus, it will do redbook CD just as good as any regular CD player. (Now I recall that this was the reason I got the 7700).

Why would Sony manufacture a unit with two pickup lasers if a DVD laser supposedly is good enough for reading CD ?

Obviously there is more to it than pure marketing...

Peter

I don't know, but my 7-year-old far-from-audiophile-grade Pioneer DV-333 also has two lasers.

post #105 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And the OPPO?

post #106 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

If a piece of equipment .............sounds great to the person who owns it, nobody else's opinion matters at all.

So why don't you (or can't you) practice what you preach?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #107 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

So why don't you (or can't you) practice what you preach?

All of the audio equipment I own sounds awesome to me, and your opinion of it does not matter.
post #108 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I found this very interesting:

http://www.digital-recordings.com/cdcheck/cdcheck.html

Peter
post #109 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All of the audio equipment I own sounds awesome to me, and your opinion of it does not matter.

And I'm not, nor would I, give you my opinion on your audio equipment choices.

But you seem dead set on telling others what you think about their choice in audio equipment. If you don't see that you're completely contadicting yourself, you're blind.

Again, you said:

Quote:

If a piece of equipment sounds great to the person that owns it, nobody else's opinion matters at all.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #110 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found this very interesting:

http://www.digital-recordings.com/cdcheck/cdcheck.html

Peter

Thanks for the link. I thought that was some interesting reading too.

I would be curious to see if there really is a difference among different units, especially across different price points. Whether or not said differences (if they exist) translate into audible differences...well...I'm sure we'd have a few opinions on that.

I thought that the linked article on How to Evaluate CD Players was equally interesting. I'll bet Chu Gai would be shocked to learn that there's no real advantage to spraying "coating oil" on a disk. I guess people just wouldn't be inclined to actually buy a product called "snake oil". Then again...

Scott
post #111 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

And I'm not, nor would I, give you my opinion on your audio equipment choices.

But you seem dead set on telling others what you think about their choice in audio equipment. If you don't see that you're completely contadicting yourself, you're blind.

I have never told anyone that they chose bad sounding equipment (unless it was Bose.) I only point out that there is a price point beyond which improvements are not possible.
post #112 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have never told anyone that they chose bad sounding equipment (unless it was Bose.) I only point out that there is a price point beyond which improvements are not possible.

Read my post again.

I never said you said anything about bad sounding equipment. I said that you're dead set on telling other people what you think of their audio choices.

You're incorrigible. Instead of formulating your next defensive, knee-jerk, ill-thought-out, one-liner response, why don't you pay attention to what people actually tell you in these posts?

post #113 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM

I never claim that anyone has made a bad choice. I do however think they should willingly admit when the choice was based entirely on factors other than sound quality, as will always be the case when buying any CD player over $200.
post #114 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Record producers are professionals, they know their jobs well. Everything they do is a concious choice. When they apply dynamic compresion, they do so because they know that it is what the vast majority of listeners/buyers prefer. They really don't give a rodent's backside for the opinions of your tiny "golden-eared" club, nor should they, nor do I.

Recording engineers are hired by the band and the record company, they rarely have a say in the final product. If they are ordered to jack up the volume on the CD, they do what they are told to do no matter how bad it sounds to them. The recording industry is currently marketing to the boom box and iPod crowd, so nearly all newer CDs suffer from compressed and overly loud.

Have you ever seen a visual waveform of a song? Older CDs you can clearly see the peaks and valleys of the music. However, newer CDs are just slammed to the max.
post #115 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never claim that anyone has made a bad choice. I do however think they should willingly admit when the choice was based entirely on factors other than sound quality, as will always be the case when buying any CD player over $200.

Why is that the "magic" number? Why not 175$? Or 150$? Or 387.93$ (the price I paid, with taxes, for my player)? And is that 200$ in 2007 dollars? 2003? 1997? And, since you never bothered to answer my question regarding consistency elsewhere, do you apply the "200$ rule" to everything you own? I hope you don't drive a Mercedes when a Hyundai Accent will do the same thing.

It is quite clear that you have a cutoff point after which you are convinced that there is no chance whatsoever that anything better can be had. Fine. But who are you to make such a determination. And, more importantly, why do you feel the need to make your case with such a smug attitude? That's probably responsible for 90% of the flak sent your way (whether you care or not is immaterial, it remains the likely cause).

I find it fascinating when anyone takes it upon themselves to prove they are correct--even at the expense of making it unpleasant "in the room".
post #116 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:

The improvements may not be dramatic on a dollar-to-dollar ratio, but the music can be heard is much more detailed. To the untrained ear listening on their iPod with $5 headphones would not likely ever notice the difference. However, if you are listening to a well mastered recording on a quality system, the details of string instruments, cymbals, bass etc, are going to be greatly improved over a budget gear.

Is quality gear really worth 5x more? To the average listener it will not be worth it the extra expense and would not be appreciated either. However, if you are aware of what you are listening to, it is probably worth every penny.
post #117 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

The priceless part is that you don't even see the contraction in that!

post #118 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Thanks for the link. I thought that was some interesting reading too.

I would be curious to see if there really is a difference among different units, especially across different price points.

Right, however, it's worth noting that the facts on that page are a bit dated. We need to take into account that it deals with CD-player quality of the 80's and 90's. I'm sure any decent CD player will pass the test today, in the year 2007.

The REALLY interesting issue would be to see how today's DVD players pass this CD test. Are the DVD lasers up to the task or not? What about a player purchased in 2006 and used for 1-2 years? Will it pass the test, or has it aged (or accumulated dirt) to the point that it will no longer pass the test... I'm curious!

Peter
post #119 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Also worth noting are the serious issues with CD-ripping. If a standard DVD-drive is perfect, then why all the controversy about how to do a perfect CD-rip.

Why would public domain databases like Accurate RIP http://www.accuraterip.com/ exist, if computer CD/DVD drives in general are adequate for creating a copy...

An apparently trivial digital task like ripping a CD correctly seems to be black science in practice (and definitely dependent on the quality of the CD/DVD drive in the computer)...

My new Lyngdorf CD-1 sounds great! Apparently I will get to use it for many hours until I figure out the science of error free ripping (and have the time to RIP my 1000+ CDs) and get a Transporter...

Peter
post #120 of 141 Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also worth noting are the serious issues with CD-ripping. If a standard DVD-drive is perfect, then why all the controversy about how to do a perfect CD-rip.

Why would public domain databases like Accurate RIP http://www.accuraterip.com/ exist, if computer CD/DVD drives in general are adequate for creating a copy...

An apparently trivial digital task like ripping a CD correctly seems to be black science in practice (and definitely dependent on the quality of the CD/DVD drive in the computer)...

My new Lyngdorf CD-1 sounds great! Apparently I will get to use it for many hours until I figure out the science of error free ripping (and have the time to RIP my 1000+ CDs) and get a Transporter...

Peter

Peter - ripping redbook CD tracks to hard drive doesn't have to be a "black art." Read up on EAC - decide what format you want for your hard drive files, and which software player (I like foobar2000).

The debate/controversy lies in the fact there are many different ways to encode and playback the music on PC. There are commercial PC transports which claim to have very optimized/tweaked settings - of course they need a way to differentiate their product as superior to homebrew PCs.

If you want to dive in the debate - head over to the PC Audio section of audioasylum and duke it out

- Steve O.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page