Newer Univeral Player vs. Older SACD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a Pioneer DV-79AVi. I have considered going to an SACD/CD only player like a used Krell SACD Standard or one of the older Sony's like the SCD-1, the 777es or the current 9000. In your experiences, would I gain anything by doing this, or what it would it be more of a sideways move?

BTW, I am in the process of buying a Proceed AVP2 and AMP 5 to replace my Pioneer Elite receiver/Emotiva MPS-1 combo...

Thanks,

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Somewhat depends on whether you are using the 79AVi for multichannel music or just 2 channel.

I have a Pioneer 59AVi, and last year tried the Sony XA9000ES in my home along side the 59 for both SACD & CD. With preamp levels the same, IMO, the Sony sounded slightly but noticeably "better" in 2 ch mode. I did not try to compare them for multichannel.

CD's were more transparent with less edgy sound, especially using the optional digital filter. The subjective impression I had was that the Sony with the optional filter engaged combined with my tube preamp gave a slightly deeper soundstage than the Pioneer combined with the same preamp. SACD's also were slightly smoother & transparent with the Sony. I use the Sony for a dedicated 2 ch setup, and the Pioneer for multichannel music. With ILink, its more convenient than the Sony.

The DAC's in both players are the same, Burr Brown 1738EG, but the Sony uses 3 per channel in 2 channel mode for improved resolution.

The thing is built like a tank, too. So, if you can arrange an in-home demo, I think it would be worth the effort to compare.

Happy listening!

ss9001

Steve
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Somewhat depends on whether you are using the 79AVi for multichannel music or just 2 channel.

I have a Pioneer 59AVi, and last year tried the Sony XA9000ES in my home along side the 59 for both SACD & CD. With preamp levels the same, IMO, the Sony sounded slightly but noticeably "better" in 2 ch mode. I did not try to compare them for multichannel.

CD's were more transparent with less edgy sound, especially using the optional digital filter. The subjective impression I had was that the Sony with the optional filter engaged combined with my tube preamp gave a slightly deeper soundstage than the Pioneer combined with the same preamp. SACD's also were slightly smoother & transparent with the Sony. I use the Sony for a dedicated 2 ch setup, and the Pioneer for multichannel music. With ILink, its more convenient than the Sony.

The DAC's in both players are the same, Burr Brown 1738EG, but the Sony uses 3 per channel in 2 channel mode for improved resolution.

The thing is built like a tank, too. So, if you can arrange an in-home demo, I think it would be worth the effort to compare.

Happy listening!

ss9001

I will be going with two channel. Based on everything I have read, and my own listening experience I'm not sure how much improvement I will see. The AVP2 was a world-class DAC so I'll probably just stick with the Pioneer for now unless I find a really good deal on a great high-end unit.

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List