post #91 of 100 Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

You got me all the specs I needed, so I don't need another link, thanks.

Those specs are for the PS2, not the particular PS1 model that is supposed to be such a good player.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Noted. But can we assume the PS2 would be at least equal or even better or is their some quality in regards to CD performance that was dropped when the PS2 came out? I wouldn't know I'm not a gamer.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #93 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Noted. But can we assume the PS2 would be at least equal or even better or is their some quality in regards to CD performance that was dropped when the PS2 came out?

No. The articles regarding the PS1 as an audiophile quality CDP are clear that it is specifically the PS1. And not just the PS1, but a PS1 with a particular model #.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #94 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It would surprise me that sound quality gets worse not better or at least equal with each new generation. But like I said, I'm not a gamer, and I've never listened to any of these units. A review of the "special" PS1 saying it sounds "spectacular" doesn't mean a PS3 doesn't sound worse, equal, or better; it just doesn't say.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #95 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It would surprise me that sound quality gets worse not better or at least equal with each new generation.

Why? Not sure why you would assume that. There are certainly many examples of products that are released in successive generations that are inferior to those products in the prior generations.

Quote:

A review of the "special" PS1 saying it sounds "spectacular" doesn't mean a PS3 doesn't sound worse, equal, or better; it just doesn't say.

But the articles weren't written prior to the release of the PS2 (and maybe the PS3) and, as I said, they are pretty emphatic about the fact that it's the PS1 (and a particular model of the PS1) and NOT a PS2 or PS3.

Of course, if you're of the school of thought that either a CD player can play a CD or it can't, and that there are no audible differences between players, even those costing 10x more, then it wouldn't matter to you which PS you used.

I don't know what was "special" about it. I have seen a more technical review than the MSNBC article, but have been unable to locate it online. One difference (and not one that necessarily makes it "better"; just different) between that particular model PS1 and other PS1's is that it has individual L+R audio outs on the back as opposed to the others which simply had a 3.5" headphone-type jack and a 3.5" mini-plug adapter that split out into L+R RCA outs. It is my understanding that the DAC employed on that particular run of PS1s (that had that model #) was of a particular type or quality that yielded a better audio stage than the other PS1s.

post #96 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's an "audiophile"?
post #97 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec7 View Post

What's an "audiophile"?

One who loves audio.

post #98 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec7 View Post

What's an "audiophile"?

Propeller-headed geeks like us who are listening to the electronics, instead of the music they reproduce!

post #99 of 100 Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Why? Not sure why you would assume that. There are certainly many examples of products that are released in successive generations that are inferior to those products in the prior generations.

Not very many in my experience. 99% of what is inside a CDP, game unit, or DVD player is really just a computer chip. They get better, faster, smaller, yet cheaper year after year. This is why you can buy a discman for $29 now yet they were once hundreds and hundred of dollars.

Also, it is my personal belief that modern day transistorized, solid-state electronics do not benefit in performance by prior burn-in or to be left on 24/7 as mentioned in the MSNBC review. This is a myth perpetuated in many "stereophile" type publications which I consider to be BS. Reading such BS then makes me question other aspects of the review's validity.

Mechanical devices such as motors, geared mechanisms, my knees etc. may benefit from "warming up" and getting greased up/lubricated etc., but electrons flowing through copper wires and silicon chips don't care. Storage capacitors may take a second to charge, operating systems a few more to "boot", but saying the sound quality is better or different by leaving it on 24/7 is a joke, in my book.

P.S. Some say the company that "discovered" the miraculous benefits of an 8 day break-in period for their product, first, came with a 7 day money back guarantee.

post #100 of 100 Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Yes, there is a close relationship there

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page