post #91 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

2) Maybe less than you think.

Yeah probably but ANY loss opens up a hole in the entire test. Unless a 100% transfer from A/D how could anyone ever draw the conclusion that Vinyl is better than the copied CD version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Well, as you ponder the potential losses that occur during a vinyl to CD transfer, also consider that every time you play vinyl, you lose information through erosion.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #93 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Well, as you ponder the potential losses that occur during a vinyl to CD transfer, also consider that every time you play vinyl, you lose information through erosion.

Yeah now your getting there! In the end it becomes a practically impossible thing to prove either way. Just too many variables.
post #94 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That's it! I'm definitely sticking to cassette tapes!

Yeah...that's right...I'm old school! I've even got the bad-ass Fisher-Price orange and white turntable to prove it! (...early 80's wiki-wiki-wiki scratching plays in background...)

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #95 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
If you wanted a real turntable, you stayed away from Fisher Price!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #96 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah...that mess is for crackers! Having grown up in the ghetto, I must opt for the street-wise stylings of the Fisher-Price...I don't want to blow my street cred. I gots to keep it real up in here! (...wiki-wiki-wiki...)

J.

post #97 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyways, "close-n-play"??? Just close it up and the record plays??? How the hell are you going to get your hand in there to freestyle and express your turntablism? I don't see a flip-up access door...

Like I said, that's a turntable for a cracker...and I use the term loosely...(both)

J.

post #98 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic77 View Post

Unless a 100% transfer from A/D how could anyone ever draw the conclusion that Vinyl is better than the copied CD version?

Perhaps some who were able to do it properly, were able to conduct DBTs and null results happened.
post #99 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

The high frequency response of an LP can exceed 20kHz on the first play, but drops very rapidly after that, reaching 8kHz after 80 plays. The lowest practical frequency response is 30Hz, because everthing below that is dominated by mechanical rumble. By comparison, the CD retains its full 20Hz to 20kHz range indefinitely.

And, even if it can reach 20kHz, at what recording levels can it take at such high frequency before the cutters burn up? And, on the low end, before the needle jumps the grooves as it just cannot handle it.
post #100 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

Doesn't vinyl have a wider frequency range? CD being limited to 20Hz-20kHz?

Can you hear 20kHz? Can the vinyl be cut to reach threshold levels of 100dB spl let alone at realistic levels?
post #101 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

This is a poor argument for a couple of reasons. First, in music and instruments, there isn't a whole lot of audible material up in that range. Second, the higher you get in frequency, the less of the recorded material gets actually played in a digital recording. As the frequency increases the ratio of waveform to samples goes down because the frequency of the sound wave has increased while the frequency of samples has stayed the same. The higher you get, the more of the actual wave form gets thrown away by digital. Therefore, the higher in frequency you get, the lower the quality of digital. This is offset somewhat by the fact that as you go up in frequency, your ear becomes less sensitive, and that increases with age. This makes the argument that mid range frequencies are more important to creating a recording that can closely mimic an actual recorded event.

Sounds like you have no understanding of the sampling theorem. But, just keep speculating. It is entertaining.
post #102 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

It's not a segment of the audience that still prefers vinyl. This is, by and large, a whole new segment who are experiencing vinyl for the first time or experiencing it again after not listening to vinyl for a couple of decades.

And one need only look at recent posts in this particular section of the forum to realize that it's more than simple curiosity that's driving this resurgence.

The most active threads in here are these that are about TTs and vinyl.

Resurgence? I could say that about homeopathy, psychics, fad diets, etc. It comes and goes but it will never replace CDs in the mass marketplace, hence a niche nostalgia for the past. Besides, humans are so easily impressed with most anything different.
post #103 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

That's for sure. Many - maybe even the majority - of the early CD's that were recorded from the master analog tapes sounded terrible in comparison. They were flat and muggy sounding (along with the added hiss).

Oh, perhaps the recording engineers were on the learning curve with the switch-over?
post #104 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go Charles...go chock up your posts here.

J.

post #105 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

You obviously jumped into the conversation late, because my point was simply show PULLIAMM that vinyl is in no way obsolete, as he claims.

J.

If it wasn't obsolete, all or most new music would still be on vinyl. It is not and never again will be on this cycle of evolution. If you mean obsolete being totally dead, it is not, obviously. Neither is antique car restoration, or Chrysler coming out with a few retro cars of the past. Their market is rather small
After all, there is most likely still a small market for the older cylinders and some even make those players that have metal discs with holes in it
post #106 of 245 Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh...and now a bone to pick with me...surprise, surprise! Tick on another post for CharlesJ. Had to dig back 24 hours for that one...well done! ....surprising for a fella that seems to find a bone to pick with nearly every poster in a thread that he seemingly wandered into for no reason at all...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you comb through threads that might vaguely interest you and look for posts to respond to. Why this thread? Was it to piss on the OP's parade and prove to him that he's wrong for liking vinyl, or was it to join in the foolish argument of which format is truer or purer or better, or was it for some other benign reason...maybe the truth...or justice...or boredom?

Enlighten us as to the purpose of your presence!

J.

post #107 of 245 Old 06-23-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Can you hear 20kHz? Can the vinyl be cut to reach threshold levels of 100dB spl let alone at realistic levels?

I probably cannot hear 20kHz but I also cannot hear the difference between what I see as worthless specs offered by CD such as having S/N ratios being in the 100s.
post #108 of 245 Old 06-23-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it wasn't obsolete, all or most new music would still be on vinyl. It is not and never again will be on this cycle of evolution. If you mean obsolete being totally dead, it is not, obviously. Neither is antique car restoration, or Chrysler coming out with a few retro cars of the past. Their market is rather small
After all, there is most likely still a small market for the older cylinders and some even make those players that have metal discs with holes in it

I will say that obsolete isn't the best word to use. DVD-Audio and SACD are (from what I understand) considerably better in all regards than CD yet they are obsolete. Likewise, CDs are slowly losing popularity to downloaded MP3s.
post #109 of 245 Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

I probably cannot hear 20kHz but I also cannot hear the difference between what I see as worthless specs offered by CD such as having S/N ratios being in the 100s.

Yep, but I bet you can hear the vinyl specs that are audible degradations
post #110 of 245 Old 06-23-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, but I bet you can hear the vinyl specs that are audible degradations

Yes.
post #111 of 245 Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:

Perhaps some who were able to do it properly, were able to conduct DBTs and null results happened.

Some people caannot accurtley DBT different speakers, so what did this prove?
post #112 of 245 Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic77 View Post

Some people caannot accurtley DBT different speakers, so what did this prove?

Only that sighted comparisons even with speakers is a biased event. Dr. Toole demonstrated this aptly.
post #113 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

A dollar may get you an Edelweiss these days.

(Do they even still make that gawdawful swill?)

The beer that I usually drink (Natural Light) goes for less than $0.50/can. When I feel like splurging, though, I like imported German beer.
post #114 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 AM

I believe consumer reports were impressed with Natural Light recently. For an import I prefer Murphy's Irish Red since McFarland is not imported into the US. In the EU, McFarland.
post #115 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

The beer that I usually drink (Natural Light) goes for less than $0.50/can. When I feel like splurging, though, I like imported German beer.

I used to really enjoy a Hacker-Pschorr Weiss on occasion. The local liquor stores used to sell those big, single bottles of it. It truly was "breakfast in a bottle". Chock full of of B vitamins.

I was also drinking a lot of Killian's before I quit a few years back. I used to hang out at a local college bar that used to give me every other pint on the house. (No wonder I needed to quit .)

I recently heard German wheat beers were supposed to go way up in price.
post #116 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I was also drinking a lot of Killian's before I quit a few years back.

In the absence of Murphy's Irish Red or McFarland, Killian's will work. I often buy it if the other two are not options and if it's on sale. IMO it is the best product made by Coors.
post #117 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 12:51 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

In the absence of Murphy's Irish Red or McFarland, Killian's will work. I often buy it if the other two are not options and if it's on sale. IMO it is the best product made by Coors.

I believe the best beer I have ever had was Chimay Ale (not certain of spelling.) Brewed and bottled by monks in Belgium, ungodly expensive, and delicious.
post #118 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 PM

I believe that might be Belgian trappist stuff. Was it cloudy? In general I enjoy the Belgian beers also.
post #119 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
After spending many and I mean many years in college and touring drinking the brew made in my hometown, St Louis. I in the last 8 years have switched to Hefs almost all the time. Anyone got any good ones I may not have been into? Mostly I just go with Bluemoons or Pyramids.

As far as records VS Cds go. I am going to unearth the huge record player from my youth and plug it in just for grins. I loved LPs but was sooooo happy when CDs came out. I do miss Record covers for holding and reading etc.. Sometimes I buy some old dollar ones just because of interesting covers.
post #120 of 245 Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM

The cover art on records was often fantastic. Some CDs had little booklets but most are no match to a well done record's cover art.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page