PS3 as a CD Player - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 129 Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear bros

May I ask that could I use the built-in harddisk of the PS3 to store the audio data (I just rip the CD content and save into HD!). If yes, what is th format inside the HD?
May I also use the PS3 as a external DAC if I use the coxial cable to connect the dvd player to the PS3. If yes, the dvd player will become a CD player and PS3 will become a DAC and the audio signal will be tranmitted to AV receiver. Could I?
Could I change the harddisk of the PS3 to be a 250G or 320G?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 129 Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanmkii View Post

Dear bros

May I ask that could I use the built-in harddisk of the PS3 to store the audio data (I just rip the CD content and save into HD!). If yes, what is th format inside the HD?
May I also use the PS3 as a external DAC if I use the coxial cable to connect the dvd player to the PS3. If yes, the dvd player will become a CD player and PS3 will become a DAC and the audio signal will be tranmitted to AV receiver. Could I?

No, you cannot wire the PS3 in series with other audio components.

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
post #93 of 129 Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
T7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanmkii View Post

Yes. You can choose between MP3, AAC and ATRAC.
BTW, PS3 also support WMA but only for playback -- not for ripping.

Quote:

Yes, you can.
post #94 of 129 Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopefishzzz View Post

I read a lot of posts of people complaining that the PS3 analog outpout was bright.

I use magneplanar speakers which are very sensitive to bad components.

With less revealing speakers you may not notice the harshness of the PS3 analog outpout

Why you would use analog output while PS3 gives you upsampling to 176.4 with latest type 3 noise shaping thru HDMI? One of strongest point for PS3 is sony releases feature-enhancement firmware almost every several weeks. The sound will only get better....
post #95 of 129 Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM
T7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneywalker View Post

Why you would use analog output while PS3 gives you upsampling to 176.4 with latest type 3 noise shaping thru HDMI?

The question of course is whether the analog output is converted from the digital signal before or after the processing (to which I don't have the answer). Actually for SACD it shouldn't matter too much in terms of quality (DSD at 1-bit 2,822 kHz being comparable to PCM at 24-bit 176.4 kHz) but for Red Book CD it must definitely make a difference -- upsampled audio versus the original 16-bit 44.1 kHz.

My guess is the D/A conversion takes place after the processing. Not only because it will typically deliver better results but also because a DSD-compatible DAC can be dispensed with, in favour of a (cheaper) PCM-only DAC.
post #96 of 129 Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

Alright this is sort of on topic and off topic of this thread but sounds like those visiting here are closer to audiophiles than the PS3 threads in the gaming or bluray forum.

I've noticed a strange thing lately as I started experimenting with the PS3 as a media center. I want to stream audio from my computer but will not do it unless it matches the audio quality of the CD. My plan was to save everything as .wav files (iTunes calles it PCM, 16 bit stereo).

Anyway please read below about my comparisons between CD, AAC, MP3, and PCM on the PS3.

When I play a CD, my receiver says STEREO PCM.

When I play AAC, MP3's, or PCM (from my computer) it says MULTICHANNEL.

Now even though it says MULTICHANNEL I can verify it is only coming out of 2 speakers.

Here's what I have noticed this past weekend as I've started doing this more. I am missing A LOT of bass information if I listen to these tracks in a 2.1 set up. Sounds fine when I do straight 2-channel. But once I add the sub which should send any info below 80hz to it, I lose my low end. It is easily heard and unacceptable to me.

In seems like the PS3 understands that I want to remove that below 80hz but does not send that info properly to the subwoofer.

Unless I can find a workaround, firmware update, are some setting I've screwed up I will be sticking with CDs. I really want to set up a media server and it works perfectly other than this issue.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone willing to test it out?

Easiest test is to let the PS3 rip a CD to its own hard drive as AAC (I use the highest setting). Then play some tracks using a straight 2.0 setting on your receiver (try DIRECT). Then play the same track with a 2.1 setting (STEREO w/ sub ON). Play the AAC and CD version. Pick tracks that have nice low end. I notice is easily on some of my Medeski, Martin, and Wood stuff. It is also easily noticeable on the track JAMBI by Tool.

I'm sure you all know what in your collection to try it on.

I can tell you one thing in my set up. To my ears, I cannot hear the difference between the CD and an uncompressed file on my computer at all in pure 2.0 stereo mode. If I can figure out why it calls these files "Multichannel" and steals my bass, I will be tickled pink with this set up and a teryabite HDD!

Thanks everyone.

I had the same problem; and after playing around with the settings this is what I discovered:
Originaly I had the PS3 set to in 'AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING' I had all the possible options checked. After browsing my reviever's status screen i found out the reciver was getting a PCM signal @ 176 kHz. at this setting my receiver always said 'DIRECT' and there was nothing i could do about it. I couldn't change it to all channel or even matrix it to 7.1... so I decided to uncheck the Linear PCM 2Ch. 176.0 kHz from the 'AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING' menu. Now the reciver says PCM 88.4 kHz and all the settings are usable. I have my bass back and am able to change the settings on my reciever, I can set it to stereo, 5.1/7.1 matrix and so on.

My thinking is this I dont have a big woofer driver on my speakers (dual 6.5" is the biggest my speaker goes) I draw my bass from a separate subwoofer. I think that if i had a High End HI-FI speaker set with its own woofer driver, say 12-15" driver then having the PS3 set at 176. kHz will sound great... but for some reason my speakers cannot reproduce the DIRECT setting coming from the PS3.

Everything is working fine now. I set my recevier to Stereo when playing CD's and the sound is really good since I have bass now...

and another thing I believe the sound quality for CD's from the PS3 is very good. It would make no sense to have the same copmponents in the PS3 to play really good DVD/BD audio and not play CD audio since it is easier to decode... that lets say a Multichannel source... for those people outhere in this forum please check all of your setting and compponents before making such an uninformed opinion...

Life is not what you think it is!!!
post #97 of 129 Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Sounds like the PS3 has enough settings with little enough documentation to shoot yourself in the foot.

Very interesting that 176 worked, but did not work as expected. That probably belongs in a PS3 FAQ somewhere. I understand that it's not a limitation of the PS3, but people tend to think more is better, and may be turning on 176 khz upconversion and running into issues like yours.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #98 of 129 Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM

It's been a long time coming and I had to share. Audiophiles will be delighted! I know I am.

Prior to the lastest update (3.0) the PS3 would only allow 2 channel playback @ 16 bit 44.1 KHz when playing the original Red Book cd.

You could never set it to output @ 2 channel 44.1 KHz when playing ripped mp3's on the PS3's HDD or a USB attached external HDD playing WAV. lossless files. It would only play them at 48 KHz, causing all the poor sound quality associated with the onboard conversion from 44.1 to 48 KHz.

Those days are now over. The PS3 will now output all ripped files in their original 16 bit 44.1 KHz glory. In other words the PS3 is now Bit Perfect in it's playback of ripped music. This is a great acheivment that's gone unnoticed by most.

I have bugged Sony for the past 3 years to include this very important feature and never got a satifactory response. God must have heard my request.

The sound quality of stereo listening to 44.1 KHz WAV. files is just incredible now through my Denon 3805/3808 and Polk Audio A10/Klipch RF 35 speakers with subs active. Great dynamics and no tinny/screechy sound anymore.

I would now consider the PS3 to be a true 2 channel playback music server.

Thanks SONY
post #99 of 129 Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM

but ps3s been doing 44.1k on cds from several updates ago. since you praise the newly improved file playback quality on the machine does it mean it's been updated to make the wav files from hd sound better than the cd playback because that has always been pretty dissapointing and it still would be if not updated with the 3.0 firmware. no bass, too much treble which im finding to be the tragedy of most Japanese audio goods. please lets not argue how my equipments not able to portray it- $700 modded Lite DAC 60 with $200 a pair amperex 6922 PQ white labels gold pins- one of the very best tubes you can buy with mulah thankyouverymuch. yes, i'm still talking about ps3's transport ability. i doubt its internal DAC doesn't even deserve to be talked about.
post #100 of 129 Old 09-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert View Post

I had the same problem; and after playing around with the settings this is what I discovered:
Originaly I had the PS3 set to in 'AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING' I had all the possible options checked. After browsing my reviever's status screen i found out the reciver was getting a PCM signal @ 176 kHz. at this setting my receiver always said 'DIRECT' and there was nothing i could do about it. I couldn't change it to all channel or even matrix it to 7.1... so I decided to uncheck the Linear PCM 2Ch. 176.0 kHz from the 'AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING' menu. Now the reciver says PCM 88.4 kHz and all the settings are usable. I have my bass back and am able to change the settings on my reciever, I can set it to stereo, 5.1/7.1 matrix and so on.

My thinking is this I dont have a big woofer driver on my speakers (dual 6.5" is the biggest my speaker goes) I draw my bass from a separate subwoofer. I think that if i had a High End HI-FI speaker set with its own woofer driver, say 12-15" driver then having the PS3 set at 176. kHz will sound great... but for some reason my speakers cannot reproduce the DIRECT setting coming from the PS3.

Everything is working fine now. I set my recevier to Stereo when playing CD's and the sound is really good since I have bass now...

and another thing I believe the sound quality for CD's from the PS3 is very good. It would make no sense to have the same copmponents in the PS3 to play really good DVD/BD audio and not play CD audio since it is easier to decode... that lets say a Multichannel source... for those people outhere in this forum please check all of your setting and compponents before making such an uninformed opinion...

Sounds like your receiver can perform Bass Management and Equalization on 176kHz signal but can on 96kHz signal. When you sent it 176kHz signal, all processing were disabled and the receiver wnet into DIRECT mode. When you sent it 96kHz signal, all processing worked.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #101 of 129 Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the good news brock!

Before firmware 3.0, when playing back 44k audio files MP3/WAV/AAC/etc the PS3 would always output 48k. Now it correctly outputs at the correct sampling rate. It even upscales to 176k with the different music bitmapping settings just like it did when playing back physical CDs.

For kicks I tried to see if they updated any additional file support for WAVs other than 44k/16 bit. No luck with 88k/24bit and 96k/24bit.
post #102 of 129 Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
T7T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock1 View Post

It's been a long time coming and I had to share. Audiophiles will be delighted! I know I am.

Prior to the lastest update (3.0) the PS3 would only allow 2 channel playback @ 16 bit 44.1 KHz when playing the original Red Book cd.

You could never set it to output @ 2 channel 44.1 KHz when playing ripped mp3's on the PS3's HDD or a USB attached external HDD playing WAV. lossless files. It would only play them at 48 KHz, causing all the poor sound quality associated with the onboard conversion from 44.1 to 48 KHz.

Those days are now over. The PS3 will now output all ripped files in their original 16 bit 44.1 KHz glory.

Right. Upconversion to 88.2 and 176.4 kHz is now also supported.

Quote:

In other words the PS3 is now Bit Perfect in it's playback of ripped music.

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? Ripped music is (because of lossy compression) by definition an approximation of the original music so how can it really be bit-perfect?

Is it important the ripped song is not converted a second time in order to prevent further damage? I guess all is relative.
post #103 of 129 Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7T View Post

Right. Upconversion to 88.2 and 176.4 kHz is now also supported.

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? Ripped music is (because of lossy compression) by definition an approximation of the original music so how can it really be bit-perfect?

Is it important the ripped song is not converted a second time in order to prevent further damage? I guess all is relative.

Hi,

I am ripping mine to an external HDD in WAV. format. It is a lossless format. Playback is now bitperfect!

Brock
post #104 of 129 Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thanks for the info Brock! Glad I read this post, don't usually come to this subforum for PS3 info... Now I have a reason to do the 3.0 FW update. I've been whining about this issue too since I got my PS3.
post #105 of 129 Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM

Hi buddy
It also depends on your use.I mean if you are spending more time on gaming than go for ps3 other wise no need to pay 900$ if you do not like to play game too much..
post #106 of 129 Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 AM

Spam
post #107 of 129 Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post

I keep reading posts stating listening to the sound quality of your PS3 in analog form. That can happen in only 2 configurations and both might be the poorest implementation of the PS3. So please correct me because in my research this and this is what I've found.

The PS3 doesn't output analog unless you use a multi-Av output cable or set to output setting to stereo, otherwise in the Bitstream setting - the linear PCM encoding is performed at the receiver end. When set to linear PCM the PS3 does the decoding then sends data to the receiver where the analog conversion is performed. Sorry, that was a poor explanation and probably wrong!

We currently send EAC burned, FLAC encoded files from our upstairs computer (PS3 doesn't support FLAC or any other lossless codec) through the PS3 via Tversity and the SB3 natively.

Anyway, this is the thread I want to watch. I'm trying to get as best a 2 channel setup as possible. Currently, my PS3 is doing battle with my modded Squeezebox 3. Bothe these frontends are feeding an Onkyo PR-SC885P pre/pro which in turn feeds a pair of NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE's. These amps blow me away sending my Classe amplifiers to perform surround duties! After upgrading both the Onkyo and the PS3 with decent power cords we cannot believe the quality of sound being produced through both these units.

Hi- what power cords are you using?
Thanks

I'm eager to make things better, sound better and perform better.

post #108 of 129 Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed View Post

Sounds like your receiver can perform Bass Management and Equalization on 176kHz signal but can on 96kHz signal. When you sent it 176kHz signal, all processing were disabled and the receiver wnet into DIRECT mode. When you sent it 96kHz signal, all processing worked.

Yeah I know it's weird. but then again it's just a processing thing. My receiver has Aux in from 7.1 analog so I'm guessing that the 176khz is for SACD players with internal equalizing so it passes all direct thus getting the right sound from the SACD.

Life is not what you think it is!!!
post #109 of 129 Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 PM

Finally! After 3 years, there are no more surprizes for HDMI audio output. Firmware 3.1 finally resolves the multichannel issue. If your reciever supports multichannel up to 5.1 or 7.1 @ 176k when you play any music it will output with the correct number of channels. Before 3.1, the PS3 will output 5.1 or 7.1 @ 176k for 2 channel upsampled music. Now it will output 2 channels @ 176k without having to do the workaround.
post #110 of 129 Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 AM

I just got new , very revealing, speakers (PSB T8); I blew my budget on them so Im forced, for now, to use my brothers old Arcam preamp (12-14 years old) with only analog inputs, and my ps3 as a cd player.

Wow is the analog cd playback HARSH, the trebble is unbearable!

What are my options with limited money?

My setup is 2.0.

Im thinking I buy a used receiver with a HDMI input, then using HDMI from the ps3 to the receiver?

What features besides an HDMI input should I look for in a receiver? I dont have the money for more spearkers for a year or more so 2.0 is all that really matters right now. Im asking because there is some techical stuff about "signal processing" etc. that I dont completely understand and I read that some receivers will take 2.0 HDMI cd input and be "able to process it well" and others can not...

Thanks so much for any input!
post #111 of 129 Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There is no explanation in physics for a power cord change improving your sound. That's crazy talk, IMO. And no, I don't need to listen to make that determination any more than I need to drink gasoline to know I should not drink it.

Remember the 100's of miles of copper that connects your house to the power plant's generator? You can't replace that. So 6 more ft is not going to make a bit of difference.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #112 of 129 Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

There is no explanation in physics for a power cord change improving your sound. That's crazy talk, IMO. And no, I don't need to listen to make that determination any more than I need to drink gasoline to know I should not drink it.

Remember the 100's of miles of copper that connects your house to the power plant's generator? You can't replace that. So 6 more ft is not going to make a bit of difference.

I agree. Only reason for the change would be to replace the OEM cheap china made cable.

I'm eager to make things better, sound better and perform better.

post #113 of 129 Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo View Post

I agree. Only reason for the change would be to replace the OEM cheap china made cable.

I agree as well. I have changed out the oem power cord for a homemade 14-gauge shielded power cord. I did it knowing that it is drawing a good deal of power and is probably spewing out loads of RFI. My guess is that a good shielded cable might help stop it radiating RFI to my other equipment, and in turn help protect it from external RFI. Do I hear any difference in sound quality or notice any difference in picture quality? Absolutely not.
post #114 of 129 Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Can PS3 used to play the redbook or ripped CD without a TV attached?

I am trying to see if I can bring PS3 as a temporary CD transport to a mini meet. I don't have any other CD transport, and I use the PC as a transport at home setup.

Is this even possible? If so, how do I control the Prev/Next track and etc? I would be using the optical out from PS3 for a meet.

Cheers.

Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60, GRLCR, GR-10
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-92
Amp: (Still searching...)
post #115 of 129 Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Yes. You can operate the XMB blind by memorizing and counting the navigation 'ticks.' After the audible boot up, I usually bump the XMB all the way to the left then tap right. And get used to the controller button layout. The triggers control track and FF, REW. Have fun.
post #116 of 129 Old 05-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

Yes. You can operate the XMB blind by memorizing and counting the navigation 'ticks.' After the audible boot up, I usually bump the XMB all the way to the left then tap right. And get used to the controller button layout. The triggers control track and FF, REW. Have fun.

Cool.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Speakers: Monitor Audio GR60, GRLCR, GR-10
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-92
Amp: (Still searching...)
post #117 of 129 Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
T7T

Quote:

Yes. You can operate the XMB blind by memorizing and counting the navigation 'ticks.' ... And get used to the controller button layout.

Or you could buy the Sony PS3 BD remote.

post #118 of 129 Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have the PS3 that plays sacd's and my Oppo 980 is a much better sacd player in 5.1.
I only tested 5.1 SACD's, but the difference was pretty big. PS3 seemed veiled on the A/B comparison. Oppo and PS3 were connected by HDMI. Oppo seemed to have a crisp and layered sound. I had to volume match.
I am a PS3 fanman! So I was biased going into the comparison.

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #119 of 129 Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus View Post

I have the PS3 that plays sacd's and my Oppo 980 is a much better sacd player in 5.1.
I only tested 5.1 SACD's, but the difference was pretty big. PS3 seemed veiled on the A/B comparison. Oppo and PS3 were connected by HDMI. Oppo seemed to have a crisp and layered sound. I had to volume match.
I am a PS3 fanman! So I was biased going into the comparison.

Curious... the PS3 through HDMI only sends PCM, the 980 can send DSD and PCM. Were they the same? Also was the PS3 has different bitmapping options, which in my opinion was far more useful for converting SACDs to PCM.
post #120 of 129 Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Curious... the PS3 through HDMI only sends PCM, the 980 can send DSD and PCM. Were they the same? Also was the PS3 has different bitmapping options, which in my opinion was far more useful for converting SACDs to PCM.

PS3 PCM vs DSD 980 oppo = They did not sound the same, the difference was quite large, by audio standards (noticeable).

I always wondered if cd players all sound the same X's and O"s
(Now I know the answer)

I used Bitmap 2 and 3.
I liked Bitmap 2 better after long listening as 3 might be rolled off.

I tried only 5.1 SACD's. Now only the oppo (winner) plays them.
PS3 does the Bluray movies! Which I have compared to Panasonic and other Sony Players. The PS3 does too many things well, and gives up nothing as a Bluray player.
PS3 should be the product of the decade!

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page