PS3 as a CD Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 129 Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is the PS3 as CD player vs like a $900 Marantz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Better than the average $200 CD player? lol. I have no idea since I haven't heard many people talk about it. Would it beat out like a Toshiba XA2 in CD quality?
post #3 of 129 Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft View Post

Better than the average $200 CD player? lol. I have no idea since I haven't heard many people talk about it. Would it beat out like a Toshiba XA2 in CD quality?

Both have a loud fan and I would not want to listen to music with them as long as they are in the same room with me.

Both have problems with copy protected CDs. I am kind of old fashioned I still buy my CDs. But this means, lots of them have a copy protection. They sound like a scratched vinyl on my PS3 - same with my Toshi E1.

You can forget BOTH machines for CD playback. They are great movie playing machines but nothing more and nothing less.

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #4 of 129 Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 AM

The PS3 sounds fantastic when connected to an A/V receiver with 24/192 DACs via HDMI. The PS3 upsamples to 24 bit 176.4khz PCM and applies your choice of dithering, noise shaping, or no noise filtering at all. Try finding a sub $1000 cd player that does this. I have experienced zero issues with copy protected CDs. I only find the PS3 fan to be loud when upscaling DVDs-- on CD or blu-ray playback, it's quiet and a non-issue.
post #5 of 129 Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey. I got a question. The PS3 will decode all TrueHD and other Dobly stuff as well as dealing with the CD stuff.

At this point, it will send the signal through HDMI to my receiver. What does the receiver do then? Converts from Digital to Analog or something? Can I get a cheap receiver or should I still spend a little more?
post #6 of 129 Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

f45ds456f456
post #7 of 129 Old 08-28-2007, 06:34 AM

I think that the PS3 is an excellent CD/SACD player---superb sound quality when paired up with my Yamaha 661.

However, I can hear the fan during at times: the PS3 is sitting next to me in my Home Theater. When it was about 12 ft away I couldn't hear it at all.

gasdoc

at somepoint you stop the research and just buy it
post #8 of 129 Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Since I don't have an HDMI preamp, I have found the redbook CD playback not as good as my top of the liine Sony XA7ES; but the SACD playback on the PS3 blows away anything I can find to throw at it.
post #9 of 129 Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 PM

My PS3 sounds amazing when playing Audio CDs. I have never had any problems with fan noise even while upsampling CD-Audio to 92khz.

I can only hear my PS3's fan when I'm playing games, and that is really rare because I also have to have the volume down pretty low.

In response to the person who said that their PS3 has a hard time playing back copy-protected music... I highly recommend that you exchange your PS3 for a replacement. I play purchased CDs daily and have never had a problem with a single disc playing back.

I'm in love with my PS3 at the moment... the thing just keeps getting better and better while keeping cash in my pocket
post #10 of 129 Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

Both have a loud fan and I would not want to listen to music with them as long as they are in the same room with me.

Both have problems with copy protected CDs. I am kind of old fashioned I still buy my CDs. But this means, lots of them have a copy protection. They sound like a scratched vinyl on my PS3 - same with my Toshi E1.

You can forget BOTH machines for CD playback. They are great movie playing machines but nothing more and nothing less.

Do you own an XA2? If not you might wanna exclude it from your comments.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #11 of 129 Old 09-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't have HDMI so I'm not realizing the full capability of the PS3. I have listened extensively to analog outs through my system and, for SACD, I can say its not bad for a console. Amazingly good for such a device, but not as good as the Sony 999es on SACD. Frankly, I don't see much benefit to using it as a transport without an HDMI input on your processor.
post #12 of 129 Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundKernel View Post

I don't have HDMI so I'm not realizing the full capability of the PS3. I have listened extensively to analog outs through my system and, for SACD, I can say its not bad for a console. Amazingly good for such a device, but not as good as the Sony 999es on SACD. Frankly, I don't see much benefit to using it as a transport without an HDMI input on your processor.

I disagree, had the 999ES and sold it. The PS3 via analog output has a much lower noise floor on SACDs which sound smoother as well. The 999ES is borderline harsh with most material though still noticably better than all entry level stand alone SACD players out there. The PS3 is an entirely different beast.
post #13 of 129 Old 09-08-2007, 07:00 PM

I love the PS3. does alot and does it well. But, for serious listening, the fan is just too damn loud.
When I first got the PS3, I had in mind to replace my Denon 2910 as it does SACD but after a few months living with it, just can't get over the fan noise.

PS3 sounds good playing CDs but even with upsampling capablility it possess, I feel the 2910 does a better job in redbook playback.

If you are interested in using the PS3 exclusively for all your media, I'd suggest putting the unit in a closet far away from your listening area or in another room. With bluetooth, you don't need to unit to me in the same room.
post #14 of 129 Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange that some complain abot the fan and others dont. I personally cant hear mine while listening to music at 60dB or higher. My air conditioner is louder at the low setting.
post #15 of 129 Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM

My fan's loud but not a deal breaker except late at night. You are using the Analog outputs, right? What pre-amp / amp / speakers are you using? And do you have any specific settings in the audio settings? I also have the 999 video circuits turned off- mine is a horrible DVD player with extreme Y/C delay- probably defective but it is known for this. I have the Toshiba HD-A1 and its crystal clear over component. I also think the PS3 is a bit soft on component but its not a big deal.

I am still very impressed with the sound of the PS3 because SACD playback isn't its main purpose. I'll listen some more and post back in a day or so.

And will the PS3 upsample CD's over optical?

Thx
post #16 of 129 Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 PM

The PS3 is colored over analog. Its pretty dynamic but it has quite a bit of HF energy compared to the 999es, which isn't considered a great SACD player- at least without mods.

It can provide a spirited and exciting rendition of pop music but when listening to acoustic music, particularly piano and orchestras, things become strident. The analog output stage is probably the weakest link. With HDMI this isn't a problem- but then you have the DSD-PCM conversion. Of course no one here has any experience with qualifying that. Or do they?

Sometimes detail retrieval on this PS3 can be an eye opener and I think it might be better than the 999es. But the extra treble energy makes me second guess this conclusion. I wonder what the modders are thinking?

Bottom line, I keep coming back to the 999es for most of my listening. I'll compare them as a transports for CD after more SACD listening.

Cheers,
post #17 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My fan's loud but not a deal breaker except late at night. You are using the Analog outputs, right? What pre-amp / amp / speakers are you using? And do you have any specific settings in the audio settings? I also have the 999 video circuits turned off- mine is a horrible DVD player with extreme Y/C delay- probably defective but it is known for this. I have the Toshiba HD-A1 and its crystal clear over component. I also think the PS3 is a bit soft on component but its not a big deal.

I am still very impressed with the sound of the PS3 because SACD playback isn't its main purpose. I'll listen some more and post back in a day or so.

And will the PS3 upsample CD's over optical?

Thx

The PS3 is hooked up to a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver running the surround speakers. The fronts and center and center/surround back are each on an RB-1070 Rotel stereo amplifier . Speakers are Focal CobaltS towers, center and surrounds. Room is treated for first order reflections with acoustic panels.
post #18 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PS3 is colored over analog. Its pretty dynamic but it has quite a bit of HF energy compared to the 999es, which isn't considered a great SACD player- at least without mods.

It can provide a spirited and exciting rendition of pop music but when listening to acoustic music, particularly piano and orchestras, things become strident. The analog output stage is probably the weakest link. With HDMI this isn't a problem- but then you have the DSD-PCM conversion. Of course no one here has any experience with qualifying that. Or do they?

Sometimes detail retrieval on this PS3 can be an eye opener and I think it might be better than the 999es. But the extra treble energy makes me second guess this conclusion. I wonder what the modders are thinking?

Bottom line, I keep coming back to the 999es for most of my listening. I'll compare them as a transports for CD after more SACD listening.

Cheers,

We agree that the PS3 is dynamic and this includes a quiter noise floor than any stand alone SACD player I have auditioned or owned (less hiss from old recordings when playback at higher volumes). Voices are smooth and less sibilant compared to previous players except my former 9100ES and there is also more detail. The 999ES aint a bad unit but I think we have reached the opposite conclusion - how bizzare. At any rate, it does not do multichannel via analog so its use in my system is limited and I may still keep a trsditional SACD player for this purpose. Next I plan to sample CDs.
post #19 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 AM

I'll keep testing too. I need to spend a few hours comparing the two more analytically. There is so much hype around the PS3 and my initial reaction was also that of amazement. Don't get me wrong, I'm still impressed with the unit- I am only evaluating the analog 2 channel SACD playback with my proceed AVP2 in analog bypass mode (just the volume control). Amp is the Pass Aleph 5 and speakers are Infinity Prelude MTS. Cables are the Sony multi-AV to the pre-pro, japanese studio XLR's from the pre-pro to the amp and Kimber 8TC to the speakers.

Cheers
post #20 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Well, I've been enjoying my PS3 as a CD player for a few months now. I finally got my new speakers and power amp hooked up and was listening to the classic "Kind of Blue" last night. Everything was great up until the last notes of the last song. I had closed the front door and turned the fan off to be able to hear the key notes on the piano. As soon as it got to the quiet section with only piano - the PS3 fan came on with a vengeance. Not a happy camper at all, so, I will probably be looking for a dedicated CD player in the near future. Other than the fan, and the fact that you can't see what track is playing and other needed info without your monitor on, it's a very nice unit for everything that it does.

Just my nickel from last night.
post #21 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 12:01 PM

OK, so without sounding rude, what the hell are you guys talking about?

I can barely hear my fan when I'm standing next to my PS3 ... are you talking about the PS3's fan or a fan you have behind your entertainment center?

I use the PS3 for music ... digital downloads and best of all, MFSL 24 gold discs. I haven't checked to see the bitrate, but it sounds awesome.
post #22 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagogorex View Post

Well, I've been enjoying my PS3 as a CD player for a few months now. I finally got my new speakers and power amp hooked up and was listening to the classic "Kind of Blue" last night. Everything was great up until the last notes of the last song. I had closed the front door and turned the fan off to be able to hear the key notes on the piano. As soon as it got to the quiet section with only piano - the PS3 fan came on with a vengeance. Not a happy camper at all, so, I will probably be looking for a dedicated CD player in the near future. Other than the fan, and the fact that you can't see what track is playing and other needed info without your monitor on, it's a very nice unit for everything that it does.

Just my nickel from last night.

Mahagogorex, BE CAREFUL! I read you "closed the front door" ... this is why your fan is kicking it up a notch. It is best to keep it out of that confined space. Although the PS3 won't die on you a-la-XBOX360, it will definitely prompt you on-screen that it is getting too hot and that it needs to shut down.

I have had my fan kick up, but only when the room is over 80 degrees, and the ceiling fan isn't on ... otherwise it would be intolerable ...
post #23 of 129 Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 PM

^^Good point as I didn't have my on-screen display on so I don't know if it was showing too hot or not, but I was refering to the front door of the house actually, the PS3 is in a well ventilated cabinet with mesh front doors and venting in the rear. It could have possibly gotten over 80 in the cabinet but just barely as the room was probably 72ish and I was running my amp pretty low. I'll probably put a small fan in the back of the cabinet just for extra security though and see if that helps. If not, CD player goes in and PS3 moves to the outside of the cabinet for dvd and games only.
post #24 of 129 Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 AM

SoundKernel, The PS3 will output DSD over the HDMI cables directly for your receiver to decode.

SoundKernel, Yes, the PS3 can upsample PCM over it's Toslink. I have mine upsampling to 96Khz or at least that is what my receiver thinks it is receiving.

I agree... I stuck my ear right up next to my PS3 while listening to a CD and could BARELY hear the fan. I really think that some PS3's must stay in a high powered fan mode too often.
post #25 of 129 Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM

What is the best cable I can get for analog out playback? You can't seriously compare it to other transporters using the stock av component cable provided. As for the fan noise issue, I solved the problem by removing it from my tv stand compartment to an open area and letting it stand upright. It is a lot quieter now.
post #26 of 129 Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 PM

Click on one of the sponsors on the top of the avsforum page and buy whatever cable fits your budget. monoprice would get my vote.

post #27 of 129 Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post

The PS3 will output DSD over the HDMI cables directly for your receiver to decode.

I know this should be in a SACD thread, butt how did you do this? I have all the ingredients (PS3 connected HDMI to a receiver that accepts DSD) butt tried in vein and couldn't find the settings, options in the PS3 to output DSD.

I have been in other threads and even a PS3 SACD site and they all say otherwise. They say the PS3 currently does not output DSD via HDMI. Please tell how you were able to do so, I've love to try and hear it in my system.
post #28 of 129 Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Ok, I've been playing around with my PS3's upsampling feature. I have the PS3 hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V2400 (non-hdmi) via an optical toslink cable. For the life of me, I can't hear any difference between the 48 setting and the 44/88/176 setting. I have all the little boxes checked on in the menu.

Can the toslink connection pass 176? Should I try using the 2-channel analog outs instead?
post #29 of 129 Old 10-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electone View Post

Ok, I've been playing around with my PS3's upsampling feature. I have the PS3 hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V2400 (non-hdmi) via an optical toslink cable. For the life of me, I can't hear any difference between the 48 setting and the 44/88/176 setting. I have all the little boxes checked on in the menu.

Can the toslink connection pass 176? Should I try using the 2-channel analog outs instead?

Your receiver should display that it's getting the upsampled bits. Both my previous 2001 and current Yamaha do. Try turning off any surround, DSP processing, run it 'straight' or 'no effect'. Also try pressing down or display on the remote to see the current PCM sampling rate.

Theoretically 44/88/176 should sound the same. 48k should sound different since the PS3 has to map 44 onto 48 and it's not a simple multiple so the waveform is more likely different. Realistically those 44/88/176 sampling rates make those musical digital bits take a different paths in your receiver allowing you to choose which sounds best/cleanest/least modified. On my previous receiver upsampled was better, but on my newer receiver I have a harder time telling butt I still have a slight preference with the original 44k.

Yes Toslink can pass 176k. Analog outs sound great too according to many including myself who tried it for SACD.
post #30 of 129 Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

Your receiver should display that it's getting the upsampled bits. Both my previous 2001 and current Yamaha do. Try turning off any surround, DSP processing, run it 'straight' or 'no effect'. Also try pressing down or display on the remote to see the current PCM sampling rate.

Theoretically 44/88/176 should sound the same. 48k should sound different since the PS3 has to map 44 onto 48 and it's not a simple multiple so the waveform is more likely different. Realistically those 44/88/176 sampling rates make those musical digital bits take a different paths in your receiver allowing you to choose which sounds best/cleanest/least modified. On my previous receiver upsampled was better, but on my newer receiver I have a harder time telling butt I still have a slight preference with the original 44k.

Yes Toslink can pass 176k. Analog outs sound great too according to many including myself who tried it for SACD.

Ok, I played with it again using the digital toslink connection only. I turned off all processing on the receiver. In "48" mode, you are able to switch between processing modes if you want, or listen "pure direct". When I switch to "44/88/176", the receiver locks on "Straight" mode and does not allow you to change to processing. There is no display on the receiver that tells you the bits it is receiving; only "PCM" lights up.

I'm going to hook the PS3 up via analog and do a head-to-head comparison with my Arcam Alpha 7 CD player. I have never heard a CD player (other than the Alpha 9) that could compare to the very open sound of the Alpha 7. We'll see how the PS3 does .
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports