Pioneer Elite DV-48AV as a cd player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 118 Old 11-22-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this has DVD capabilities but that does not interest me at all since I am using my HD-A35 as a dvd (SD) and obviously HD player.

I have been looking for a cd player with plenty of detail and warmth with it for as little $$ as possible. Tall order right?

I had a Pioneer Elite 79avi and SACD was supurb using iLink aka firewire. Redbook was ok, bit harsh for me. On another forum a poster recommended i use the onboard dacs instead of iLink and WOW what a suprise, it was pretty good. It was around that time that I bought a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 cd player. Immediately the soundstage widened but it came with some sibilance and slight brightness. When I used the stereo outputs on the 79avi I was amazed at how similar it was to the 640C. The only difference was the wider soundstage on the 640C v2.

Then based on posters recommendations here I bought the DV-48V. I was very skeptical but soon as I hooked it up via hdmi to my VSX-94 I noticied better detail than both the 79avi and 640C v2. Sibilance was reduced and Redbook was such a pleasure. After an hour or so I decided to try SACD. Sound was flat, not involving and almost veiled compared to the 79avi. I tested numerous SACD's and it had the same results. I also found that if the SACD had multi-channel, that was used by default. I could not find a way to turn it into Stereo and to be honest have not really looked or searched here for a solution whcih I am sure there is.

Its now been running for a few hours and I will let it repeast play the entire disc for a few more hours before I test.

The 640C is going back (almost 3 times the cost of the DV48)....

I'll post more in a few hours.
Neville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 11-22-2007, 05:48 PM

I bought mine for the sole reason of Music playback. I listened to it and the more expensive pioneer unit and heard no difference in the listening room so decided to go with it. I use it mainly for music and I think its a fantastic Sacd / DVD-A player for the price. And as a bonus you can watch movies on it too
post #3 of 118 Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Swerveddy, so true, if you just buy it for cd, SACD and DVD is a bonus. I let it play for a few days and it really has improved. I still cannot get over how good it sounds. I also had some blocks of wood lying around so I rested the player on top of it. A small but noticable improvement in the imaging. I also found before the player would vibrate quite a bit on some cd's. I'm going to caulk the inside of the player when I get some time.

Some folks have been looking at the Oppo and I had the 970, its no comparison to this player. I returned my Oppo a week after getting it, bass was very limited and the sound was lean.
post #4 of 118 Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 PM

Neville, one of my buddies got a highly discounted 79AVI (<$600 before tax) and, having been a big fan of Pioneer back in the 70s, when I heard the quality of play of both CDs and DVDs, I thought it was pretty much the cat's ass.

You think the 48 - a cheaper model - sounds better?
post #5 of 118 Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Zoney99, yes the 48AV sounds much much better on Redbook, but if your friend listen to mainly SACD, I would tell him to keep the 79avi. 79avi is an awesome sacd/dvd player.
post #6 of 118 Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM

Hi Neville, My first post...
I have been looking at universal players and the DV-48AV is the only one I have found that appears to feed SACD signal digitally over HDMI as pure unconverted DSD (actually, I think one of the Oppo's does as well but...). I'm curious, were you using HDMI for SACD? If so, your receiver could be doing the D/A conversion. What kind of receiver do you have?
post #7 of 118 Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM

I am also looking at the 48 but wasn't sure if it would pass SACD over HDMI. The Pioneer website says it will play DVD-A...."and more" over HDMI. Not sure what the "more" is.
post #8 of 118 Old 11-30-2007, 04:36 PM

FYI - I just got an answer back from Pioneer Support and they said no SACD over HDMI from either the 46 or 48.
post #9 of 118 Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM

Huh, that is interesting. Page 15 of the DV-48AV owners manual clearly states that it does pass DSD over HDMI.

It say's: "The HDMI connection is compatible with 2 channel linear PCM signals (44.1 kHz to 192 kHz, 16 bit/20 bit/24 bit), and Dolby Digital, DTS, Mpeg audio bitstream, multi channel DSD, and multi channel linear PCM signals, (5.1 channel signals up to 96 kHz, 16 bit/20 bit/24 bit).

Am I missing something? I was hoping Neville could tell us how he has his connected. Anyone else have the 48 hooked up using just HDMI?
post #10 of 118 Old 12-01-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Support folks must be on some medication LOL

I only have a power cable (duh LOL) and HDMI connected and its an HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice (el cheapo ones, not 1.3 certified).

I am able to play SACD stereo and multi channel on it and its reflected in my Elite receiver (VSX-94) display. Have not tested DVD-A since it does not interest me and I only have one cd, DVD is another thing I have not tested.

There are some posts in this forum that tell you how to setup DSD and thats what I followed.

48 I believe is hdmi 1.2 and my vsx-94 is hdmi 1.3.

Hope this helps....
post #11 of 118 Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville View Post

Support folks must be on some medication LOL

I only have a power cable (duh LOL) and HDMI connected and its an HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice (el cheapo ones, not 1.3 certified).

I am able to play SACD stereo and multi channel on it and its reflected in my Elite receiver (VSX-94) display. Have not tested DVD-A since it does not interest me and I only have one cd, DVD is another thing I have not tested.

There are some posts in this forum that tell you how to setup DSD and thats what I followed.

48 I believe is hdmi 1.2 and my vsx-94 is hdmi 1.3.

Hope this helps....

HDMI 1.2a is all you need to send DSD stream over. I am in the same boat, have a 79avi and am screwed with the 94 since they dropped iLink. This would only be a SACD/DVD-A player for me.

Question is how does the 48AV sound in comparison. If you are indeed sending the DSD or DVD-A bitstream to the 94 you should see something like "DSD" when in pure direct mode on the 94 for SACD, and when doing decoding on the 48AV (if possible) you should see PCM....

I would be interested in your thoughts of the difference in sound between these two modes. Basically if you bitstream, all the 48AV is doing is acting as the transport and the 94 is handling the decoding. Only issue I could see is jitter so it should sound comparable to a 79Avi or any other transport sending bitstream.
post #12 of 118 Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks Neville and John,

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile. Do either of you know what type of D/A converters are in the 94? Since they are doing the processing, they probably have alot to do with how the setup sounds.

My receiver has HDMI 1.3 and Burr-Brown processors. I'm not sure which processors the 48 has but, I'm thinking they are probably not as good as the ones in my receiver. However, if the 94 also has the Burr-Browns the final sq results may be similar to Nevilles.

Thanks again...
post #13 of 118 Old 12-02-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

When playing CD's my 94 display shows PCM and when I play SACD is shows DSD-PCM.

No matter what it is, this is a fine player when used in this setup. Every redbook I play is a pleasure with no harshness, SACD is good but still not on par with the 79avi.

I played with USB device and WMP11 files just for kicks...dont waste your time......
post #14 of 118 Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Been watching this thread as I am thinking about a SACD/DVD-A player. It would feed a Pio 94 (same as Neville). From this aspect, it appears this is a favroable choice.

There are some Qs I would have as I have not been able to audition one as of yet.

How flexible is the bass management? My mains are large.

Curious about DVD upconverting? I am format neutral with hi-def players (Toshiba A35 and Panny BD30). Currently the Toshiba A35 is handling the SD discs (does a better job than the Panny), but have read many places that some SD upconverting players are better at upconversion than the Hi-defs.

This would also allow me to have some different display settings via macro select remote for the SD discs.

Neville would you be kinda enough to test a DVD an offer your thoughts relative to the A35?

Curious for your thoughts.

Mark

Mark

format neutral

,,,now let's all repeat the non-conformist's oath,,,
post #15 of 118 Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM

I just bought this player too, and am having a problem with it. I'm using just the L+R analog audio outputs to my amp, and am hearing a 'click' or 'snap' through my speakers between tracks of some SACDs. My Peter Gabriel 1-4 discs, D&D Layla, and the second disc (but not the first disc) of the NIN Downward Spiral deluxe edition all do this, but I've got other SACDs such as Dark Side of the Moon and Police (Ghost and Sync) that do not. The click is not heard when playing redbook CDs or DVD-As. Only SACDs. I had a Denon on audition for a while that did not produce a click between tracks of these same discs, so either there's something wrong with this particular unit, or the model in general.

Does anyone in this thread happen to have one of the above mentioned SACDs? If so, would you mind terribly hooking up the 48av to your amp via the analog outputs and see if you also hear a click between tracks? Thanks!!
post #16 of 118 Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

I dont have Gabriel SACD but do have DSOTM and many other SACD's and have not experienced any clicking noises, but that maybe due to the HDMI connection I have. Its very difficult for me to get to the back of my equipment since its in a rack tightly fit into a closet. If you have an optical cable or hdmi cable, try that to isolate if its really the rca output. Try plugging into a different input on your preamp/receiver and also swapping power ports if you have a power conditioner (just a thought).

Now I do plan to test the rca outputs in near future when time permits, but wont be able to do this as soon as you would like.
post #17 of 118 Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM

I don't have an amp with any sort of digital input, but have reproduced the problem on two different amps when using an analog connection. I've also now reproduced the problem on a different DV-48av at the retailer's showroom in order to rule out a defect with my particular unit. This model in general evidently has a problem with some SACDs producing a click between tracks when connected via the analog output. (P.S. As previously stated, DSOTM is not one of the discs you'll be able to repro the problem with.)
post #18 of 118 Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like you found a defect. Have you contacted Pionner support?
post #19 of 118 Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Yes, I have. If anyone else reproduces the problem, please also report it to Pioneer. The more who report the problem, the better the chances of a firmware update.
post #20 of 118 Old 12-05-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'll see if I can make time this weekend to test this.

In meantime I have ordered Oppo 980 player just for kicks and grins. I was not impressed with the 970, maybe the 980 will sway me. The only selling point is the playing of PAL discs for me. I thought the DV48 could play PAL but it does not and there are no hacks I could find on videohelp forum.

It arrives Friday, hopefully sunday sometime I will test out the dv-48 rca issue bumpy has found and also put the dv-48av head to head with the Oppo 980.
post #21 of 118 Old 12-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Any tricks to get this to work? I just set this up with the VSX-94 receiver as well. I can only get stereo from SACD and DVD-A.

I have tried Auto and Auto(DSD). With the former I just get Stereo on the front panel. With the latter, I get SACD Stereo. I do have the player set to 5.1 under the SACD setup.

I dread having to call tech support. Any advice?
post #22 of 118 Old 12-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Neville: The DV-48av does play PAL, it just won't play a disc with a Region setting other than the unit was designed for (which is a different issue). In my case, this is Region 1. My unit refuses to play PAL Region 2 discs for example, but will play PAL Region 0 discs quite nicely on my NTSC TV.
post #23 of 118 Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Bumpy7 I thought I read it somewhere but all my discs are Region 2.

Craig F, did you come right ? I really didn't have to do anything in the 48 setup but choose auto/dsd and HDMI as output. Have you checked your receivers input ? There is a button on the remote that I found will allow you to switch between stereo and mult-channel...auto surr?adv-surr ? something like that.
post #24 of 118 Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Craig F, did you come right ? I really didn't have to do anything in the 48 setup but choose auto/dsd and HDMI as output. Have you checked your receivers input ? There is a button on the remote that I found will allow you to switch between stereo and mult-channel...auto surr?adv-surr ? something like that.

I will play around with that a bit. But the 94 does receive multichannel PCM from my Blu-ray player with no problems. Thanks for the input.
post #25 of 118 Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Craig, in Initial Settings/Analog I have:

Digital out : on
Dolby Digital out : Dolby Digital
DTS out : DTS
Linear PCMout : downsample pcm on
Mpeg out : mpeg -> pcm
HDMI out : Auto(DSD)

Hope this helps
post #26 of 118 Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Got the Oppo 980 tonight, plugged it in with HDMI and on initial play of Redbook and SACD, its bright, I found it had quite a but of detail, maybe a tad more than 48 but llet me comment after 48 hours of burn-in.

With some keypad sequences I was able to play all the different PAL discs I had...what relief...now I wonder if it has enough "oomph" to replace my DV-48.
post #27 of 118 Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Craig, in Initial Settings/Analog I have:

Digital out : on
Dolby Digital out : Dolby Digital
DTS out : DTS
Linear PCMout : downsample pcm on
Mpeg out : mpeg -> pcm
HDMI out : Auto(DSD)

Hope this helps

I was on the phone with tech support today. We couldn't get it to work. Are you sure you a receiving multichannel SACD? Do all the speaker lights on the receiver light up? Those buttons you mentioned will process 2 channel into surround.

I've tried pretty much every combination of settings on the 48 and it won't work.

My Panny Blu-ray plays DVD-Audio and it works with multichannel. I put the same disc in the DV-48 and no go. So, it isn't the 94 receiver.
post #28 of 118 Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Got the Oppo 980 tonight, plugged it in with HDMI and on initial play of Redbook and SACD, its bright, I found it had quite a but of detail, maybe a tad more than 48 but llet me comment after 48 hours of burn-in.

With some keypad sequences I was able to play all the different PAL discs I had...what relief...now I wonder if it has enough "oomph" to replace my DV-48.

It's no more bright then anything else connected to your receiver via HDMI or SPDIF. It certainly sounds exactly like my Pio Elite CD player which also connected digitally to my Integra Pre-pro. Analog would be a whole different thing.

BTW when a player hooked up digitally it's no longer called a "player" but as a "transport".

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #29 of 118 Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Craig, I'll check again later today but I'm pretty sure all the speakers light up on the 94 and the display says sacd multi-ch or somethign to that effect.

Thehun, yes you are correct, its now a transport where there diminishing returns. It sounded very close to my dv-48 but with some harshness. I'll also put wooden blocks underneath the transport to make it a fair comparison.
post #30 of 118 Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:

Craig, I'll check again later today but I'm pretty sure all the speakers light up on the 94 and the display says sacd multi-ch or somethign to that effect.

Great, thanks. I just wanted to double check. Mine only says SACD Stereo with only L & R lit up.

Also, do you know the manufacture date of your dv-48? Mine is August 2007.

Edit:
I found out how to check the firmware revision.
This is easier to get than the manufacture date which is on the back of the unit.

Go to the setup menu > Initial settings > Options
Do not go into the sub menu
Hit the Display button on the remote.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page