Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Interesting article. This was hotly debated for a while here.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...eningpost_1029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Yes, but it's so not eco-friendly BTW, at the end Babcock says...
Quote:

San Francisco indie band The Society of Rockets, for example, plans to release its next album strictly on vinyl and as MP3 files.

"Having just gone through the process of mastering our new album for digital and for vinyl, I can say it is completely amazing how different they really sound," said lead singer and guitarist Joshua Babcock in an e-mail interview. "The way the vinyl is so much better and warmer and more interesting to listen to is a wonder."

I wonder what he thinks about mp3's?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #3 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

...I wonder what he thinks about mp3's?

One can only speculate. But being a singer/songwriter/musician doesn't make him an expert on SQ.

But the article does "seem" to support at least two of the claims made by vinyl lovers:

1. Vinyl sales are picking up
2. Vinyl can offer a more enjoyable listening experience

And "Wired" doesn't appear to have any bias as they aren't in the business of selling vinyl.
post #4 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

One can only speculate. But being a singer/songwriter/musician doesn't make him an expert on SQ.

But the article does "seem" to support at least two of the claims made by vinyl lovers:

2. Vinyl can offer a more enjoyable listening experience

And "Wired" doesn't appear to have any bias as they aren't in the business of selling vinyl.

I wonder how much of that is due to a renewed interest in vinyl per se, as opposed to a growing interest in better sounding (i.e., non compressed) products. Not to mention the fact that vinyl is inherently DRM free...

Scott
post #5 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Um, just how does this article "support" this claim? It certainly asserts it, but I don't see anything other than claims by people who are promoting vinyl. That's not exactly solid evidence.

I don't mean to bash vinyl. I collect old records, after all. But the available data suggests that new vinyl sales have been, at best, flat.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Um, just how does this article "support" this claim? It certainly asserts it, but I don't see anything other than claims by people who are promoting vinyl. That's not exactly solid evidence...

I said "seems" to with the quotations easily seen for this very reason. Interesting how you deleted the key word in my post for no reason other than to start an argument.

Frankly, I have not said that I either agree or disagree with what the article implies so I have nothing to defend or any question to answer. I simply posted it so those that were arguing this a while back might read it and either "get a laugh" as Pulliamm has or finds it interesting, Like Chu has.

I won't respond to Pulliamm as you can't win an argument with someone who posts opinions as facts based on what he remembers he heard 25 years ago. One must consider the source. But you keep em flyin Pulliamm, I still maintain that I get the best laughs out of reading your posts. So how are those Infinity Primus speakers sounding these days? Still the best you ever heard regardless of the price? I believe that this shows exactly how well tuned your ability to hear really is. Despite the fact that you changed your mind. And then changed it again. And then changed it again. And then...well you get the picture
post #7 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I said "seems" to with the quotations easily seen for this very reason. Interesting how you deleted the key word in my post for no reason other than to start an argument.

Methinks you doth protest too much. Just because someone asks you for your reasoning for a particular statement doesn't mean that he's picking a fight with you. To me, even "seems" is too strong a statement here, and I was wondering why you chose to characterize the article that way.

post #8 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Methinks you doth protest too much...

Don't know what you mean about protesting. (my reply was not a protest based on the definition of the word) But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and simply say this. It just gets tiring that practically no post can be made on this site without somebody with an agenda quoting it out of context and an argument ensues.

Quote:

...Just because someone asks you for your reasoning for a particular statement doesn't mean that he's picking a fight with you. To me, even "seems" is too strong a statement here, and I was wondering why you chose to characterize the article that way.

You didn't ask me to give you a reason for a statement that I made. You asked me to give a reason for a statement that YOU made by cutting the one I made apart. By the way, the article does imply that vinyl sales are picking up. I didn't write the article. I didn't post my take on it. Hell, I don't know if its accurate or not. And frankly I don't care. Your question of my simple quote, taken out of context, was provocative and you meant it to be that way. Step up to the plate and grow a pair. That's exacly what you meant. Else you would not have taken it out of context and then challanged me to defend it. Go fight with someone else. I don't engage in these sorts of inflamatory debates anymore. Pick apart somebody's post that cares.
post #9 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

No? Then why did you?

I meant argue with you anymore or "rise to the bait" as the saying goes. But I do love reading your posts and I'm not being sarcastic! They are just damn funny. You have a sense of humor that most on this site lack.
post #10 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It just gets tiring that practically no post can be made on this site without somebody with an agenda quoting it out of context and an argument ensues.

I'm honestly mystified that you could read my original post this way. I certainly did not quote you out of context. I may have misinterpreted the significance of the quotes you put around "seem," but that's as much your fault as mine for writing imprecisely.

And despite the fact that my second post was an attempt to say, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, you seem resolutely determined to pick a fight. Methinks you protest way too much.

post #11 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Vinyl is so last year. Reel to reel is the real deal.
post #12 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm honestly mystified that you could read my original post this way. I certainly did not quote you out of context...

Did you go to school to learn how to lie or does it just come natural to you? That's exactly what you did. My wording was precise. Read what you quoted. Then read what I wrote. You made a deletion. When quoting, the entire quote shows. Yet you went out of your way to delete part of it. A concious and deliberate act.

Always the case. A new person shows up, starts arguing with anyone for what reason I don't know, and then dissapears never to be heard from again. I went and looked at some of your other posts assuming that I might be wrong about your intentions. But you seem to have picked arguments with quite a few people. And like this one, you seemed puzzled why they think you are arguing. Dude, its because you are. You delete portions of what people actually say and then attempt to get them to defend your interpretation of what they said rather than what they actually said. I don't protest too much, I just have no patience for tools. Reply if you want, but I'm done with you. One can't debate with people who lie.
post #13 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Why not revitalize SACD and DVD-A. I just got a dennon combo player and love the sound. Having a choice of two channel mix and 5.1 mix is a great bonus. SACD is suppose to be able to get the best of both analog and digital worlds. With its crazy fast 1-bit sampling, and DVD-A's 24-bit depth they are both way smoother and more dynamic than CD's.

The DVD-Video/SACD/DVD-A combo players are no more than a decent DVD player alone ($135 for mine) new. Also re-masters have already been created by the labels for most viable releases, and then only put out in CD or DTS format... What a waste. SACD/DVD-A would be a much more dramitic improvement over the old CD masters.

One more thing. The price for out of print DVD-A's on amazon and e-bay is out of control. Now into the hundreds for Eagles Hotel California and some other releases.
post #14 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Yeah, David Crosby will probably start selling them under an alias to pay for his next organ transplant.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #15 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Why not revitalize good mastering on CD?

SACD's got "crazy fast 1-bit sampling"? And it and DVD-A are "way smoother and more dynamic" thand CD? LOL. Crazy, man. Funny that when you transcode simply SACD to CD, so many people could not tell them apart in blind trials (See JAES 2007, Meyer & Moran). Also, I have DVD-As that are every bit as dynamically compressed as CDs.
post #16 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:

But the available data suggests that new vinyl sales have been, at best, flat.

well I would certainly hope so. I have some warped vinyl and it really doesn't play very will. Seems that the new vinyl would strive to be flat, at best.
post #17 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

That was truly hilarious. One of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time

If you thought that was funny, go back and read 99% of your posts, for they redifine the word ridiculous !!!
post #18 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

All these debates miss the real issue, which is the mastering process. We've all seen the graphs showing identical songs from vinyl and CD, with the CD looking horrible. That is because of the idiots behind the scenes who engineer the CD for car stereos instead of *gasp* leaving it the hell alone. Those two graphs could look identical, and in some cases do.

If vinyl is in fact gaining ground while SACD and DVD-A die a lingering death, well, that's just insane.
post #19 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post

All these debates miss the real issue, which is the mastering process. We've all seen the graphs showing identical songs from vinyl and CD, with the CD looking horrible. That is because of the idiots behind the scenes who engineer the CD for car stereos instead of *gasp* leaving it the hell alone. Those two graphs could look identical, and in some cases do.

If vinyl is in fact gaining ground while SACD and DVD-A die a lingering death, well, that's just insane.

Actually, if you go back and read the two threads that discussed this at length a few weeks back, the mastering process was discussed in detail and it was generally accepted by both sides that, while CD clearly had the potential to sound much better than vinyl, it was missing the boat these days due to the mastering process.
post #20 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

SACD's got "crazy fast 1-bit sampling"? And it and DVD-A are "way smoother and more dynamic" thand CD? LOL. Crazy, man. Funny that when you transcode simply SACD to CD, so many people could not tell them apart in blind trials (See JAES 2007, Meyer & Moran). Also, I have DVD-As that are every bit as dynamically compressed as CDs.

I agree with you there, but CD can't do more then 2 ch. So would love to see either of those "resurected" instead of the antiquated vinyl.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #21 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't think CD's are in danger from vinyl. The article is a little vague, like this quote:

Quote:

"I'm hearing from labels and distributors that vinyl is way up," said Ian Connelly, client relations manager of independent distributor alliance IODA, in an e-mail interview. "

How much is way up? If sales were up 100%, what market share would that give vinyl? 5%? 6%?
post #22 of 234 Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Um, just how does this article "support" this claim? It certainly asserts it, but I don't see anything other than claims by people who are promoting vinyl. That's not exactly solid evidence.

I don't mean to bash vinyl. I collect old records, after all. But the available data suggests that new vinyl sales have been, at best, flat.

The problem is there is no real good data for vinyl. Most vinyl are not in Riaa and soundcare (?) numbers. The only way to look at this is how many new vinyls are released, in what number, how the pressingplants are doing, and stuff like that.

To me its rather clear it have gone up. But how much is anyones guess.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #23 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How much is way up? If sales were up 100%, what market share would that give vinyl? 5%? 6%?

1.2%, actually. Vinyl's share in the RIAA's 2006 Consumer Profile survey was 0.6%. (N.B.: This is a consumer survey, so it includes independent labels, not just labels of RIAA-member companies. Also, it is not limited to large retailers.)

post #24 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Actually, if you go back and read the two threads that discussed this at length a few weeks back, the mastering process was discussed in detail and it was generally accepted by both sides that, while CD clearly had the potential to sound much better than vinyl, it was missing the boat these days due to the mastering process.

Exactly. The solution is not to switch to vinyl, but to lobby the recording industry to master CDs right. The fact that they do get vinyl right proves that they can get CD right!
post #25 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Amen brother. I just don't think a significant percentage of music consumers care enough to make that happen.

Scott
post #26 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM

While I agree that CD could sound much better, but SACD and DVD-A have even more potential with 5.1 mixing and IMPROVED sound with the same 2-channel master. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want the choice to play a hybrid disk SACD 2ch layer, 6ch layer, or CD layer. That;s way more choice and better sound than any CD or vinyl.

IMO vinyl, SACD DVD-A have a smoother easy to listen to sound that CD, MP3 lacks.
You can't hear it sometime and sometime you can, but you can certainly listen longer without fatigue.

One more thing is that CD's are ussually compressed more due to many factors I do not agree with, but one reason is that CD's lack low level linearity due to lack of bits.

I will not buy mp3's, hate buying CD's, love DVD-A and SACD...5.1. If you want better mastering and sound, hi-rez is the way to go. Are you listening big music companies!?!?!?!

If hi-rez formats die a slow death, that's great. Means I can buy a few new great re-master 2-ch, and 5.1 mixes a year and love every minute of listening... and the disks will still always play on regular CD or DTS/DD DVD players.
post #27 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic13 View Post

well I would certainly hope so. I have some warped vinyl and it really doesn't play very will. Seems that the new vinyl would strive to be flat, at best.

If not you can buy one of these

http://www.furutech.com/produ_2.asp?ProdNo=263

I really think some of the 'allure' of LPs for some hobbyists is that there are so many 'toys' associated with them...to make them work *the way they're supposed to*. CD's pretty boring in that respect.
post #28 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which of course mainly reflects the pop/rock bias of peopel here. Classical music on CD largely exploits the medium's capabilities, uses 'good' mastering practice, and thus trounces LP.
post #29 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmp View Post

While I agree that CD could sound much better, but SACD and DVD-A have even more potential with 5.1 mixing

Yes

Quote:

and IMPROVED sound with the same 2-channel master.

No. That simply has never been proved. The supposed AUDIBLE improvement in two-channel sound by virtue of increasing playback sample rate and bitdepth, or by switching to DSD, has no firm scientific validation.

Quote:

IMO vinyl, SACD DVD-A have a smoother easy to listen to sound that CD, MP3 lacks. You can't hear it sometime and sometime you can, but you can certainly listen longer without fatigue.

No, that's not 'certain', that's an anecdote. There's much more evidence that if you made a good mp3 from that LP, it would likely sound the same to you.

Quote:

One more thing is that CD's are ussually compressed more due to many factors I do not agree with, but one reason is that CD's lack low level linearity due to lack of bits.

This is a canard. Never heard of dither and noise-shaping? It's only been used for, like, a couple of decades now for CD releases. CD has no issues with 'low level linearity' in this day and age. If you are really worried about resolution of low-level signals, you'd stay as far away as you can from LP.
post #30 of 234 Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

1.2%, actually. Vinyl's share in the RIAA's 2006 Consumer Profile survey was 0.6%. (N.B.: This is a consumer survey, so it includes independent labels, not just labels of RIAA-member companies. Also, it is not limited to large retailers.)

Where do you find those nr?

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
Closed Thread CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page