CD Duplication Vs CD replication? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I am a musician and I with my band have recently recorded a demo and we want to get a professional package together to send to the usual potential clients. . We plan to publish around 1000 CDs with the relevant details (Band Name, Song Titles and Contact Details) printed on the CD. But we are very much confused that what we should have to use CD duplication or CD replication. If anyone of you have any ideal about this and its provider then please help me.
All suggestions and tips are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm assuming you are referencing "burned" discs versus professionally stamped ones. The later is more expensive, but you do get more professional-looking package, obviously. Plus, stamped discs are a lot more tolerant to the elements than CD-R type media is.

Whether or not one or other would sound better is highly debatable.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There's always the LightScribe drives that will allow you to flip the disc and "draw" an image onto the top side.

Here's an example I found online of what they come out lookign like:

If you are thinking of a run of a thousand discs, doing them yourself will be time consuming. I would suggest finding a place that specializes in small runs of pressed discs. They might also be able to include a jacket as part of the package.
post #4 of 18 Old 05-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

There's always the LightScribe drives that will allow you to flip the disc and "draw" an image onto the top side.

Here's an example I found online of what they come out lookign like:

If you are thinking of a run of a thousand discs, doing them yourself will be time consuming. I would suggest finding a place that specializes in small runs of pressed discs. They might also be able to include a jacket as part of the package.

Yes, I do them often. A press like the one shown would take about 20 mins on a new Lightscribe drive at HQ Can't wait til they speed 'em up!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 PM

The choice depends upon three main factors:

- Quantity required
- Time available
- Budget

If your requirement is for 1000 or more CDs, CD replication is a better option as compared to CD duplication. But here again any company will take around ten working days to complete the task. As top quality, offset on body printing is used for CD replication there will be no issue regarding quality later. If your project involves less number of CDs, it is better to go for CD duplication.

If the project needs to be done in two or three days, CD duplication is a better option. Finally, consider your budget. Printing and duplicating 1000 CDs is far more expensive than replicating the same amount of CDs.

For more view : liquidbubbleduplication[dot]com
post #6 of 18 Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 AM

As your requirement is big and voice quality also matters you should defiantly give a try to replication....and best of luck ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 04:47 AM

hi..

Even I believe so .. replication will work....
post #8 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markthomas123 View Post

The choice depends upon three main factors:

- Quantity required
- Time available
- Budget

If your requirement is for 1000 or more CDs, CD replication is a better option as compared to CD duplication. But here again any company will take around ten working days to complete the task. As top quality, offset on body printing is used for CD replication there will be no issue regarding quality later. If your project involves less number of CDs, it is better to go for CD duplication.

If the project needs to be done in two or three days, CD duplication is a better option. Finally, consider your budget. Printing and duplicating 1000 CDs is far more expensive than replicating the same amount of CDs.

For more view : liquidbubbleduplication[dot]com

Mark has the right idea. Sometimes duplicated discs can be done quickly and cheaply. SOmetimes it make more sense with doing a full-blown replication run, which take longer but is cheaper per-disc past a certain quantity.

If in doubt, do a search for "cd replication" and call one or two of the results explaining the specifics of your project.

Good luck

- Owen
PacificDisc

Blu-ray Replication Insider
post #9 of 18 Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

A few things, here are a few differences, but if you do go with duplication make sure your duplicator uses Taiyo-yuden media. It is the best quality. There is a minor difference in the CD / DVD duplicated and CD / DVD replicated finished product (especially in regards to DVD playback on older set-top players). In older readers, there has been a slight compatibility issue between the two processes. A replicated disc or a pressed disc will work on all CD and DVD players and computer drives. A duplicated disc or a blank disc that is burned, will work on players that will read a DVD-R or CD-R disc. Using new technology almost all CD and DVD players can support a duplicated CD or DVD. In Today's world, there is minimal to no difference between a duplicated or replicated disc.

quickturnduplication aka the CD guys
post #10 of 18 Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM

For anything over 500 discs, you should go with CD replication over duplication. It's going to be better quality at a cheaper price. Also, it's going to look more professional than that of a duplicated CD. Taiyo Yuden CDs are ok but the bottom of the discs has a bluish tint making it look "home-made" and unprofessional.

One suggestion I have is to spend a little time/money getting our artwork done professionally. This is one area that causes us the most delays.

Sam
burnsmart.com
post #11 of 18 Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM

Even for CD replication there is big difference in quality among the replicators out there. If you chose the wrong one you will be disappointed. My experience is that some replicators will use recycled plastics and there will be watermark on the data surface. Another issue is the printing. Make sure to ask for offset printing if you have a photographic artwork and silkscreen printing if you have an artwork with large solid area.

The company I would recommend is New Cyberian Systems, newcyberian.com. I have been using them for few years for all my CD replication and CD duplication projects.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 AM

I would have to agree - anything over 500 discs and you should go with replication. Just google cd replication and you will get a list of good companies to work with. If your under a quantity of 500, then you have to decide what is more important to you........is it quality, is it price?
post #13 of 18 Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM

I agree with carthom on replication to ensure that the CD's compatibility issue with different players is completely eliminated. I have had a very good experience with http://www.sfvideo.com/cd-replication/ - their quality of CD replication, packaging and offset printing can be rated highly. They are reliable and I am sure will give you the best deal. I hope this will be useful.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

We have been using a local replication company in San Jose called New Cyberian. They can do CD replication for quantity as small as 300. This is by far the cheapest I can find. Check it out, newcyberian.com/regcdrom.html. I recommend New Cyberian because there is no hidden cost. The only disadvantage I have is I need to pay sales tax. But if you are not in California then there is no sales tax.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Take a peek at Beyond Concepts CD Duplication Services. Pretty slick site - you can totally manage all of your artwork and content before you order. Prices are good too.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 AM

Hi. CD replication is the way to go. Duplication is cheap for orders less than 300 but for those above 300, replication is cheaper per unit. Replication process takes a while though- maybe 10 days to 3 weeks. If you think lots of people will buy your CD, go for replication. It's more professional.

check out unifiedmanufacturing (dot) com- they have articles about the diff bet replication and duplication. It will help you decide.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Hi,

I recommended New Cyberian to you guyz before but I made a stupid mistake by switching to another replicator because they offered me a reasonably big discount. Shoot! I finally realized that they did that only because they want me to send them my CD master. Once I didn't that the attitude changed. My original sales can never be reachable again. All previous promises on deadline, barcode, shipping discount and posters were taken back. Request for cancellation was threaten with litigation and collection.

I regarded so I went back to New Cyberian. My suggestion to you guyz out there is that when you are happy with one supplier don't make the decision to go somewhere else unless you enjoy being disappointed and having a lot of emotion.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 AM

It really depends on what you are looking for. I always use the doadisc for cd replication. They do both duplication on dvds and cds. They are pretty affordable and with great quality.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page