Sony XDR-F1HD Technical Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 359 Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tend to be anti-Sony, but the Sony tuner I have is quite sensitive (see comment regarding picking up AM HD at 400 miles away). I think you just hate Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 View Post

It amazes me that Sony fanboys like Jim1348 are always talking about how sensitive the tuner in the Sony is when it doesn't work as well as the average car radio. I guess a lot of you have never seen a decent radio before in order to have something to compare the Sony to. Wait, you have! Just go out and sit in your car for a few minutes, tune across the AM and FM band and compare the reception to the Sony and you will see how bad it is, especially on AM.
Anyway, I gave up on the Sony and bought a Sangean HDT-1X and it's much better than the Sony in every respect. It looks like Sangean actually put some thought into their product and it doesn't look like the project of electronics lab 101 that was instructed to try and see if they could make an HD radio out of off the shelf parts for a class project. Reception on FM is identical to the Sony but AM is slightly better since the Sangean has an RF amp. at the input. It also has the other annoyances fixed and keeps the favorite settings when power is lost and lets you tune by inputting the frequency on the remote and it doesn't overheat. The time is lost when power goes off but that's all. It did cost twice as much but I like it a lot better over all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 359 Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagoner View Post

I tend to be anti-Sony, but the Sony tuner I have is quite sensitive (see comment regarding picking up AM HD at 400 miles away). I think you just hate Sony.

I have to agree with you. I've become pretty much anti-Sony in recent years, but I have to give them their due. The sensitivity is amazing on this thing. I've been picking up some low power analog college stations that I haven't been able to pick up with any of my other tuners. And they sound good.

With decent sounding HD stations the sound has been suprisingly good. AM is usually unlistenable due to hum on my system, but the Sony totally eliminates it.

A great buy for $45!
post #183 of 359 Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I am about as far from being a Sony fanboy as it is possible to be, but neither my Sangean HDT-1 (latest firmware) nor my JVC car stereo can come within a country mile of the F1HD's astounding analog FM stereo performance - and I flat out refuse to believe you're getting different results. On HD FM the Sangean noses the Sony out in the sensitivity department, although I'm told a simple alignment adjustment will fix that.

I'm not in a good situation to do a shoot-out with AM, but IMHO, the analog AM sound quality on both the HDT-1 and the F1HD is horrendous, although in different ways. Both can reliably decode exactly one HD AM signal inside this interference-infested apartment building.

The worst thing about the Sony is its inability to force analog.
post #184 of 359 Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

A great buy for $45!

Where did you get it for $45? Or is that after the $50 rebate? Unfortunately, that program ended several weeks ago, so the best price I could find now was Amazon for $89.
post #185 of 359 Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

The worst thing about the Sony is its inability to force analog.

But if one can successfully receive a given station in digital why would one need the option to force analog? Or is it just for testing purposes and not real world use. [Or do you hear digital file compression algorithm artifacts on some digital broadcasts?]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #186 of 359 Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM

If digital reception were reliably good, indeed, there would be no reason for forced analogue except for curiosity or testing. But in my "real world", reception often is not reliable. So I would like to see forced analogue as a standard feature on all HD radios.
post #187 of 359 Old 11-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

But if one can successfully receive a given station in digital why would one need the option to force analog? Or is it just for testing purposes and not real world use. [Or do you hear digital file compression algorithm artifacts on some digital broadcasts?]

I listen to AM news each morning. I find it annoying when the signal switches back & forth between analog & digital. As the morning progresses, it will eventually stay locked on to the digital signal. If the Sony allowed me to switch to analog only, that would be better.
post #188 of 359 Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuberry View Post

Where did you get it for $45? Or is that after the $50 rebate? Unfortunately, that program ended several weeks ago, so the best price I could find now was Amazon for $89.

Yeah, that was due to the $50 rebate.
post #189 of 359 Old 11-22-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Digital that cuts in and out. And yes, for me at least, also artifact hell.
post #190 of 359 Old 12-08-2008, 04:15 PM

I just bought the XDR-F1HD and the terk outdoor HD antenna (it was 30 bucks online plus shipping) for in the attic. Yes, I know...Terk is a hated name, but it's compact and amplified. I'll report on how it works (or doesnt) when it arrives this week.

Any tips or tricks for this radio, aside from adjusting a slug (which I am afraid to do right now)?
post #191 of 359 Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtomNJO View Post

Any tips or tricks for this radio, aside from adjusting a slug (which I am afraid to do right now)?

Unless you want to try one of the tweaks in the first post in this thread, there really is nothing to do but plug it in.
post #192 of 359 Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BigTom, amplified antennas just amplify the noise so send it back. All you need to do for FM is connect a splitter to you TV antenna and use that. You can get good AM reception with an ordinary whip antenna such as for a car radio or CB. The cheap two terminal antenna connector on the Sony is worthless though and needs to be removed and a coax connector installed in it's place because you have to connect the shield on the AM antenna lead directly to the chassis in order to eliminate noise pickup.
post #193 of 359 Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:

BigTom, amplified antennas just amplify the noise so send it back. All you need to do for FM is connect a splitter to you TV antenna and use that. You can get good AM reception with an ordinary whip antenna such as for a car radio or CB. The cheap two terminal antenna connector on the Sony is worthless though and needs to be removed and a coax connector installed in it's place because you have to connect the shield on the AM antenna lead directly to the chassis in order to eliminate noise pickup.

Unfortunately, we have cable and my stepdad (I live with my parents - still a college kid) tore down the yagi on our roof due to rotting anchors. I have an car whip in my closet, but I wanted a directional antenna to null out the Philly FM stations and pull in the NYC FM's, specifically CBS-FM since I live in Central Jersey and 101.1 has been a problem since before I was born.

How hard is it to install a shielded coax connector? One of the Philly AM stations runs a music show I listen to, and it would be nice to have a consistent HD signal.
post #194 of 359 Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM

If you need a directional FM antenna you still need to put a yagi on the roof. The best one I've seen at a reasonable price is the one Radio Shack sells for FM, or used to sell, I don't know if they still have it or not. You may not need a directional antenna if there's no interference from other stations though. I can get Tucson stations from 100 miles away with just a whip on the roof.
The best antenna I've found for both AM and FM for this radio is an 8" CB whip, the kind you used to see on trucks back in the 60's. You can still find them at CB radio stores, truck stops and hamfest swapmeets. Remove the PL-239 connector on the end of the cable and put an F connector on it to match the radio or use the appropriate adapters so it will fit. You may need to experiment to find what works best in your area though.
You'll need two whips or an A-B antenna switch for the radio though since the idiot engineers at Sony put 2 separate inputs on the radio and it doesn't switch inputs automatically like a car radio does.
It's easy to mount an F connector on the radio for AM if you can find the right kind of circuit board mounted connector. The ones in channel filters for cable systems that are used to block different channels will fit if you take it apart and unsolder the connector. Then remove the 2 connector terminal strip from the radio and mount the F connector in it's place.
post #195 of 359 Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Digital cuts in and out all the time over and over at night when stations cut the power on AM and it's very annoying.
post #196 of 359 Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtomNJO View Post

One of the Philly AM stations runs a music show I listen to, and it would be nice to have a consistent HD signal.

You can forget about getting HD at night on AM unless you live next door to the station. The low sensitivity of the Sony requires that AM stations be so strong that they peg the little signal strength meter just to get HD on AM in the daytime but since the stations cut the power at night and still won't come in if there is any interference at all there's no way you are going to get it unless it's a 50Kw clear channel station that runs at full power at night too then you might have a shot.
post #197 of 359 Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Does this work well with other outputs?

My parents have a bose radio. It works well but the reception isn't the best in the world. I was looking at the output and it seems that it almost looks blocked...it's bizzar. It's like the cd plug blocks the input so you can't use it.
post #198 of 359 Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:

You can forget about getting HD at night on AM unless you live next door to the station. The low sensitivity of the Sony requires that AM stations be so strong that they peg the little signal strength meter just to get HD on AM in the daytime but since the stations cut the power at night and still won't come in if there is any interference at all there's no way you are going to get it unless it's a 50Kw clear channel station that runs at full power at night too then you might have a shot.

That's why I can receive KGO in HD from San Francisco where I live in Southern Los Angeles at night periodically, and why I can receive KOGO in HD from San Diego consistently (though they are off at night) ... the low sensitivity.
post #199 of 359 Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagoner View Post

That's why I can receive KGO from San Francisco where I live in Southern Los Angeles at night periodically, and why I can receive KOGO from San Diego consistently (though they are off at night) ... the low sensitivity.

Ha ha, anyone can get those stations! I can get them here in Phoenix.
post #200 of 359 Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Got the tuner two nights ago, and the Terk antenna this evening.

Tuner is fantastic - got many HD channels, including some I couldnt get before with the Accurian - with the supplied dipole. Also got numerous analog stations that were not listenable before. I love the full size remote - something that the BA Receptor HD & Accurian tuners sorely needed. A neat feature is that the presets are also assigned call letters from either RDS or the PAD, which the geek in me loves.

The Terk antenna is complete crap on FM (didnt bother with AM), and will be used at the college station I run since I need something other than speaker wire for the tuner in the lobby. I now know why everyone is always hating on them. I'll be hunting for a small yagi for the attic (attic is only 4 or 5 feet high, so not allot of room).

But I cant speak highly enough of this tuner - I told two of the engineers I work with to use these instead of the Sangean tuners that usually see use.
post #201 of 359 Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

I have to wonder as to how they made something stand out so much....and if the price is going to go up...usually with electronics this never happens however back 25 years ago with the coleco adam it did...
post #202 of 359 Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Ha ha, anyone can get those stations! I can get them here in Phoenix.

In HD??? (I forgot to add that previously).

By the way, I messed up. I meant KCBS. Not KGO.
post #203 of 359 Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got one of these for Christmas. Before I talk about the digital reception, I have to say that I totally believe everything good that has been said about the analog reception in this unit. This is certainly the best FM receiver I've heard and I have one of those classic Marantz receivers that people rave about. This doesn't have the slight "crunching" sound I hear with other FM receivers and the sensitivity and stereo separation are wonderful. It sets a very high baseline for HD Radio to compare with.

To be fair, I'm not using this in my multipath hell office downtown. Reception at my house is a piece of cake for FM. I simply set one end of the cheap wire dipole under a plant pot and crammed the other end into a vent in my monitor. That's all I needed to receive all FM stations perfectly both digital and analog and they all sound great.

I put the cheap loop antenna for AM on my desk and with a little aiming I got all three of the AM HD Radio stations in town with no problems. Only the Disney Radio station plays music but it's a huge improvement over AM. I'll have to do some A/B comparisons but I think the audio on AM HD is better than the Boston Recepter. Obviously the sensitivity is much better.

I'll have to figure out some way to get the F1HD into work to give it a real test. Since it doesn't have headphone outputs, I'll have to hook it up to the input of the Boston Recepter here which will let me do some quick comparisons.

I wish the display were a little larger. The black-on-white display is difficult to read from across the room.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #204 of 359 Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, I've brought it into work, thrown up the cheap dipole and I've only had problems getting one station in HD, the medium powered classical station. The analog reception is very good with the strong signals that have been a wreck of distortion with other receivers from the multipath here. They do have a little crunch but it's much more listenable.

Unfortunately weaker stations have the same multipath distortion I've been hearing for years as well as the hiss and other characteristics of a weak FM signal. I have no problems receiving them in HD.

The most annoying thing is the signal strength meter. It seems stupid to have the signal displayed at "full strength" when it isn't good enough to pick up digital reliably. At least the Boston Recepter's meter would drop showing there was a problem. This is especially annoying with AM signals. I can only pick up the Disney Radio station in mono (it's in stereo when the Recepter says the signal is strong enough). It's the full three bars as if the signal is strong enough but it's not really. There's no easy way to know how to adjust the antenna because any adjustment takes a few seconds before you hear any change.

There still are a few stations that sound terrible in both FM and HD Radio.

post #205 of 359 Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I missed the $50 rebate but decided to pick up this unit anyway from my local Fry's in Renton (Seattle, WA). Grabbed the last one on the shelf for $99.99 + tax.

So far, I've tested at home in Mill Creek, WA and at work in downtown Seattle, and the reception of HD Radio signals with the included dipole FM antenna has been MUCH better than expected. I'm planning to hook up an external unpowered omni-directional antenna at my home in Mill Creek to pull some of the harder stations (i.e. KNHC-HD, 89.5 & the digital signal for KWJZ-HD, 98.9).

Even though KING-FM has three HD channels (HD1, HD2, HD3), I've been extremely happy with the SQ performance of HD1. ... So good, I can roughly approximate when a recording of a piece was made (60's, 70's, 80's, etc.) from the SNR of the microphones used (hiss) where the SNR of the channel is much higher than the actual recording.

Cheers,
Kermee

Cheers, Kermee
post #206 of 359 Old 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I better get one soon the price is starting to creep up. Amazon.com is sold out. It was $77 but is not $90
post #207 of 359 Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the biggest flaw with the F1HD is the strength meter. It often doesn't mean anything as far as HD reception. I can get the Disney Radio station at three bars at work here but it's in mono but stereo at home (also three bars). The Recepter is very good about displaying two bars if it can pick up an AM station in stereo so you'd have some idea of how to adjust the antenna without waiting eight seconds to see if it helped. I'll also have occasional drop outs with FM while the meter is showing a full three bars.

Some of the analog reception in my multipath hell is still unacceptable. One of the 100 KW powerhouses which is unlistenable on any FM receiver is just barely listenable on the F1HD, but it's clear that there's a lot of processing going on to make this happen. The audio has an AM midrange quality to it with some strange swirling sounds. In fact it sounds more digital than the HD Radio stations.

And don't block those vents! This thing will smell like burning plastic if air isn't shooting through it.

post #208 of 359 Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 AM

I got this unit last week and it is pretty cool. Never have used an HD radio before and I do have a few quick questions for the group...

The radio is in my bathroom and the room is an exterior room with the window facing East. I placed the dipole antenna high on the wall in the suggested T shape.

I live in Western Suffolk County, NY on the South shore and can pull in about 12 HD stations in total, the remaining preset slots are for standard FM stations and two AM stations that sound AMAZING.

My problem is twofold:

1. The reception on the HD stations that I do receive goes in and out. Every few minutes I lose the signal then it comes back. Certain HD stations are better but I would say about 75% of the HD stations have this problem.

2. I've read where people pick up HD stations from as far away as 175 miles. Why then am I having trouble getting steady, soild reception and not being able to pull HD stations that are within a 25-50 mile radius of my home?

Thanks,

muzikman
post #209 of 359 Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
you probably want to try redoing the dipole that it came with till the signal stays in or get a better one to hook up to it. Just because the signal strength bars are maxed doesn't mean it's getting the best signal, might have bad multipath or something messing it up.
I had to tweak my antennae when I was using my receivers tuner to get my favorite stations as the signals are directional and not all of them were coming from the same area. I'm using the same one for the Sony and it works well, though a big outdoor one would be much better.
If it gets bad reception when another normal radio is doing good maybe the unit is bad on same setup. Other then that play with the aiming.
I do have to say it really is one of the best sounding tuners I've had on HD or analog FM, AM analog is just so so and is very picky about how the loop is pointed.
post #210 of 359 Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 AM

So just to confirm:

THIS is the best HD radio I can buy? This is the radio I should recommend to friends?
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page