AVS Forum banner

Radio Shack Accurian HD Radio

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  alins 
#1 ·
I was looking at the Radio Shack Accurian HD Radio http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...gs#showReviews at the Radio Shack webpage. With the new $50 rebate, this brings the net price after rebate to a pretty attractive price. I know that there have been reviews in the past on this. Now that this has been out here for a while is the consensus that this is still a pretty good radio or has it been surpassed by the newer HD radios.

#2 ·
I just love it when a forum member asks a question such as Jim1348 did and some forum member/detractor of HD radio takes the "opportunity" to reply with a post trashing HD radio - there's no demand, it creates interference on adjacent AM frequencies, it takes too much power so there's no portable radios, etc. etc. etc. If forum members made posts like yours, cavu, in response to requests for information/help, forum members would probably go somewhere else for information and help. You should know better, with 4584 posts! And you're from Canada. Is there any HD radio in Canada?

Jim, I have an Accurian. It's the only HD radio I have, so I'm not in a position to compare it to other radios on the market now. I bought it the day after Turkey Day 2006, when there was a $25 rebate. I live in the Denver area and we have many HD stations, both AM and FM, including several HD3's. I like the radio and I listen to it a lot. Since it's still around, I'd have to say that's a plus. The only beef I have with the Accurian is that the clock doesn't keep very good time. It loses about a minute a week but that certainly doesn't affect my listening.

I am very satisfied with it and, if you think it's a good deal, I'd go for it.

#3 ·
Radio Shack has a 30-day return policy, as long as you keep all of the packaging and materials and keep the unit in "like new" condition.

Go ahead and buy it -- if you're not satisfied within 30 days, just return it.

I have one and I think it works great. ~$50 after rebate is a terrific price.

#4 ·
Greetings Jim1348:

As many have stated, and regardless where the collective minds of the radio industry take us, I believe that you would benefit from the FM tuner performance for the money spent (on a stand-alone table-top form factor radio set). If you're just coming into the fold as far as HD Radio tuners go, you'll get very good sensitivity and selectivity in general just because of the requirements of tight bandpass of a broader station frequency spectrum. I knew I couldn't say it correctly in one sentence, but my LAYMAN's take on this HD stuff tells me that if you need to "hear" nearly triple the analog bandwidth in order to digitally process that which can't be placed "smack dab in the middle" of the analog signal, then you'd better have hot front-ends with TIGHT IF filtering (digital or otherwise). Guess what?, whether you're fortunate to hear HD signals in your area or not, you'll still have decent capture of comparatively more FM stations at least. AM reception has always been fickled and harder to predict depending on now more on external + in-band interference issues; a subject for great controversy regarding HD AM implementation . My feeling has always been as far as HD AM goes is FIND YOUR UMBRELLA AND PROUDLY STAND UNDER IT! Translation: local AM HD radio coverage is just fine by me and I love 24 hour service for that reason. Add 100 miles to your distance and then the equation changes significantly at night due to AM's fading tendencies.

The skinny: I have an Accurian, I like it to listen to all signals on and I'd recommend it for a all-in-one solution if you're not particular towards a component tuner solution (That new Sony with the blower fan in it! COM'ON CHIPSET MAKERS.

Try it take it back if you don't like it. I think they really tried to provide reasonable tonal balance with its 2 inch speakers that can groan as low as 80Hz or so not bad. You find the right corner to plunk that thing in and you just may amaze yourself with its "self-contained" sound that's not coming out of a superior "shoebox-shaped" table-top musicbox! (don't need to mention brands here) The AM analog sound is also reasonable (with the Rock setting of the EQ) in comparison to my JVC car radio which stinks on ice where AM analog sound is received. For FM and all HD modes, the Normal setting provides the most natural rendition of audio spectral balance that this little squawk box is capable of (I say with an affectionate pat on its remote control).

....enjoy.....Unlike an 8track recorder, this puppy IS backwards compatable so you CAN'T LOOSE NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS. My bet is that the world will end first (prior to HD) what's yours!!!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/wink.gif

#5 ·
not here for HD Radio?...move on please

the OP asked a question about a particular model

posts removed/ infraction issued

#6 ·
So is the analog performance of the Radio Shack Accurian HD Radio comparable to the tuners by Sony and Sangean? In other words, does an out of town station adjacent to a local generally good and clear? A previous poster made it sound like due to the technical demands of the digital signal, HD radios must be built with super selectivity. So would that mean that super adjacent selectivity in HD radios is a routine, typical quality?

#7 ·
For little more you can get a Sony tabletop from CC clearance. Sony has better sound quality to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 /forum/post/14218551

I was looking at the Radio Shack Accurian HD Radio http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...gs#showReviews at the Radio Shack webpage. With the new $50 rebate, this brings the net price after rebate to a pretty attractive price. I know that there have been reviews in the past on this. Now that this has been out here for a while is the consensus that this is still a pretty good radio or has it been surpassed by the newer HD radios.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 /forum/post/14218551

Help me, but I'm clueless as where to see data about a $50 Rebate for the Accurian.

Could someone please post a link to info about the $50 rebate??

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light /forum/post/14295143

THANKS Jim, The HD Radio Home Page did not give a clear link to the rebate, but the link you posted went right to it ! !

But what is the "texting" requirement of the rebate? And I have to give them my cell phone number?

What?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus /forum/post/14412799

But what is the "texting" requirement of the rebate? And I have to give them my cell phone number?

What?

Hey! That's new! I don't think that "texting" requirement was there a few days ago, or at least I didn't notice it, and there's no way for me to do that. I don't want to be out the $50. Damnit!
It doesn't say your mobile phone # or email is required, just that you text them that message, and I can't text, so I wonder what will happen if I just check the box anyways? If you told them you used them a friend's texter there'd be no way to verify it anyways.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike /forum/post/14218910

I just love it when a forum member asks a question such as Jim1348 did and some forum member/detractor of HD radio takes the "opportunity" to reply with a post trashing HD radio - there's no demand, it creates interference on adjacent AM frequencies, it takes too much power so there's no portable radios, etc. etc. etc. If forum members made posts like yours, cavu, in response to requests for information/help, forum members would probably go somewhere else for information and help. You should know better, with 4584 posts! And you're from Canada. Is there any HD radio in Canada?

Too funny! I am actually not a fan of HD radio (a Ludite, I've been called in fact) but I have and like the Accurian. It, for me, is a GREAT analog radio plus the HD isn't bad. I have never had much luck with AM HD but that is another story and wasn't expecting much there anyway. I would check to see if RS has any on clearance or open boxed units. As long as it's $51 or more, you can get the rebate. I couldn't get the rebate, mine was $6 at Goodwill.

I have mine hooked to "dollar store" generic rabbit ears and get all of my local HD's and the radio gets cranking when the atmosphere (either troposphere or E-layer cooperates). This past June, I got HD radio from Austin, TX over a semi-local. Two weeks ago, tropo DX kicked in and I got a station 425 miles away, though HD didn't decode.

#18 ·
I have an Accurian, and love it (I also got mine during the "Turkey Day" promotion in '06). There is one issue with analog FM reception on every HD radio I've used, except for the Sony component tuner (XDR-F1HD). Performance of the radios is heavily weighted toward never allowing you to hear noise. This is accomplished by aggressively blending to mono on weak signals, and often even more noticable, rolling off high frequencies rather severely when signals are marginal. Now HD DOES have a significantly cleaner high-end than analog, but this effect is exaggerated (during switching from analog to digital) by the fact that the radio is likely rolling off highs on analog if you're more than, say, 20-30 miles from the station's tower.

The Sony tuner, on the other hand, is "wide open" (in terms of high frequency response) on even quite weak/distant stations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.