JVC KD-HDR1 Car Stereo Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the thread for the HD radio performance using the JVC KD-HDR1 car stereo receiver. I have owned mine for just over a year now; and I must say that I am for the most part satisfied with it's performance.

First for the feature that's important to this thread, the HD radio reception on FM & AM: The KD-HDR1 is pretty consistent in only locking into an HD signal on the FM side when I am within 2/3 of the station's 60 dBu service contour, provided there are little or no interfering factors such as terrain or tall buildings. On the AM side, I get a ground wave range of about 33 miles for a locked-in HD AM station broadcasting 50 kW. However, I have actually received KMOX 1120 AM out of St. Louis while I was in Indianapolis during the late evening hours of a January day in 2008, which is a ground distance of 240 miles. What really frustrates me about some of the newer stations in smaller cities broadcasting in HD is that these stations, even when in HD for well over a year, are not even employing the 8 second delay on their analog side so that both sides are in sync when the receiver switches from one side to the other during the initial tune-in or when traveling in the HD fringe area of the signal (and yes, I've sent correspondence to the engineering staff of these stations long ago, to no avail).

The KD-HDR1 receiver does have other really cool features that I enjoy, such as the 7 band graphic equalizer and the SRS audio enhancements that create simulated subwoofer and surround effects; which sound really great when not used at excessive levels; and it takes a lot of time and effort to tweak everything until it sounds just right for the interior of my 95 Regal. But the feature I'm most impressed with is it's ability to play a music CD or a disc with MP3 or WMA files and not skip a beat even on the roughest roads.

If any of you own a JVC KD-HDR1, I'd like to hear about your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have owned and enjoyed my KD-HDR1 since late 2007. There is a big existing topic for it in this forum with plenty of information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=709409

The (originally) Wal-mart version of it is available from Crutchfield now for a great price especially if you send in for the HD Radio rebate.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM

The new KD-AHD39 sounds even better!
Deeper bass sound even with factory speakers
I had the KD-HDR1 for 18 months and soon
as KD-AHD39 was availble I got one.
Now KD-AHD39 remembers last HD2 station
when turned off, has front AUX jack also you
can set CD or Aux volume to match the Radio
volume. Only 2 things which I found not right
are a small button to the right of volume control
to change FM bands and the removable plate has
reversed mounting.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also purchased a HD39 after having HDR1 for a year. The tuner in the 39 is also more sensitive then the HDR1. It picks up stations farther away.
Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page