New ZUNE w/ HD Radio - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering the Zune HD, and was wondering what people's experiences with the sensitivity/features of the Zune's HD radio compared to the NS-HD01 @ Best Buy are. I'm particularly curious if the audio quality or ability to lock onto HD stations differ between the two devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 AM

The Zune HD is a big disappointment to me. As far as HD reception is concerned, I find that dropouts occur frequently when I walk behind my house which is about 25 miles north of Midtown. My experience with HD radio at my location even with a dipole has been fine. When I use it in the car with the car kit reception is even worse. The signal dies around the sewage treament plant on the west side highway in NY due to multipath and is basically worthless outside of Manhattan. When it does work in my car the audio is wonderful. listening to WNYC's HD 2 channel, it's immediately apparent that the sound quality is much better than analog FM.

Navigating MP3's is a nightmare. It's not a user friendly system in my opinion. I have about 5,000 songs loaded and it can take 2 minutes or more to locate a song thanks to the fact that if you search through Genre, you can then only search the the album subheading and if you search through song or artist, you have to deal with small postage stamp sized icons, not all of which provided much information.
Internet access would be great if it allowed you to stream audio and video over wi-fi. It doesn't and that's a real limitation, in my opinion.

Tje audio level is too low to compete with outside noise on a city street, even when set to 30 (It's highest output level),

It isn't all bad however. The video image is far superior to the I-Pod and my movies are now shown with the correct aspect ration. TV shows are still seen in the older square image fashion.

Ibiquity should work a deal with Apple and get their chip into the new I-Touch.
post #63 of 67 Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM

I can't speak to the music-searching issues, as I haven't even bothered with that yet. I did read something interesting about streaming, however. You certainly can stream from the Zune Marketplace via wi-fi (without having to have the software loaded on another pc, etc.) But someone also found something interesting in the Zune software registry about a feature that's not enabled yet...Internet Radio streaming:

http://forums.zune.net/521136/ShowPost.aspx Check out the screenshots, too.

Now, streaming in the Zune software itself is no big deal...who cares? There's plenty of ways to stream with software. But the idea is to be able to sync your settings with the Zune HD to get wi-fi streaming on the device, itself. Obviously it's something they've at least been exploring, considering the registry hack.
post #64 of 67 Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm3200 View Post

I'm considering the Zune HD, and was wondering what people's experiences with the sensitivity/features of the Zune's HD radio compared to the NS-HD01 @ Best Buy are. I'm particularly curious if the audio quality or ability to lock onto HD stations differ between the two devices.

I have the Insignia from Best Buy and use it when I'm bicycling. The HD1 stations are fine, I can't even tell the difference usually, when it switches from digital to analog. HD2 & HD3 don't stay locked in and become very annoying as there is no analog station to fall back on. This happens even at the beach(LA area) where I have a clear line of sight to the radio towers on Mount Wilson.
post #65 of 67 Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 AM

I noticed today while listening to both an FM analog car radio and my Zune HD (through headphones) that the Zune, even though it was receiving a analog FM signal, delayed the audio by about half a second to a second or more. I am assuming it all has to do with the digial signal processing which the radio obviously does in both analog and HD modes.
post #66 of 67 Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I've noticed that all HD radio do this due to the HD radio chipset.

Now available in living COLOR
post #67 of 67 Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Works great for me.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page