Does DTV Transition affect HD Radio signals? No - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new car stereop with HD radio and love HD radio except for the radio stations going in and out. The guy that put my radio in said that in June when the digital conversion goes through for TV that will also improve HD radio as well because of the satellite being able to connect the signals for the HD radio. Is this true or am I just gullible? He is my friend's husband so I know he is not lying, just probably doesn't know what he is talking about. I know I don't. I am trying to decide if it is worth having an HD car stereo or not. I have to send this one back anyways because of another reason.
Thanks. Also, if it is worth having an HD car stereo do y'all know of good ones that the HD is built into the radio and you have cd, ipod, bluetooth capabilities?

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me (and you)." By Sy Miller & Jill Jackson
Take Care & God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1001 View Post

I just purchased a new car stereop with HD radio and love HD radio except for the radio stations going in and out. The guy that put my radio in said that in June when the digital conversion goes through for TV that will also improve HD radio as well because of the satellite being able to connect the signals for the HD radio. Is this true or am I just gullible?

Not true. HD Radio is not broadcast by satellites. It comes from regular radio towers like any other local radio station.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
From what I've read from personal reviews, etc., having a built in HD radio tuner that can't be disabled is sometimes more troublesome as you've found with the signal. Outboard add ons can somewhat remedy this if you can select the outboard HD/standard combo tuner versus the internal standard only tuner which can avoid HD signals.

The Sony MEX-BT3700 has built in BT, Ipod, USB, outboard HD add on option, which doesn't disable the inboard tuner, but you'll have to run an antennae splitter to go to both.
JVC has a few HD built in tuners, but have the signal in and out issue you mentioned and the HD tuner can't be disable as I understand

Sorry this isn't exactly your question, but I figured you're back in the market for a tuner and might re-consider the HD thing. I'm also looking at a new head unit for my truck and am in the same decision process.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1001 View Post

I just purchased a new car stereop with HD radio and love HD radio except for the radio stations going in and out. The guy that put my radio in said that in June when the digital conversion goes through for TV that will also improve HD radio as well because of the satellite being able to connect the signals for the HD radio.

Quote:

That is completely false, IBOC radio comes from the same towers as the analog component

Is this true or am I just gullible? He is my friend's husband so I know he is not lying, just probably doesn't know what he is talking about. I know I don't.

Quote:

Doesn't know what he's talking about at all

I am trying to decide if it is worth having an HD car stereo or not. I have to send this one back anyways because of another reason.
Thanks. Also, if it is worth having an HD car stereo do y'all know of good ones that the HD is built into the radio and you have cd, ipod, bluetooth capabilities?

If you insist on getting another one make sure it has good analog radios that can manually tune out the HD component (don't think they exist actually) to avoid the annoying dropouts in it and a good CD player and perhaps a place to plug an iPod in.
I have a good Blaupunkt car radio with everything except for HD and I'm very happy with it, it has a 6 disc CD changer, satellite radio and AM and FM radio, bluetooth and iPod connection, works and sounds great.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Personally, I'd be using a Slacker radio in place of the iPod.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Personally, I'd be using a Slacker radio in place of the iPod.

I don't own an ipod and wouldn't. I'd much rather listen to radio because of the variety and element of surprise although that's pretty much gone on classic rock stations I listen to. I still find it (element of surprise) with jazz NPR stations and satellite radio.
ipods are for the Disney generation IMHO anyway.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Remember you don't need a ipod to listen to mp3's...if you have a cd player often times they can play them. That's what I've been doing for a few years now.

I don't hate ipods or mp3 players but the concept has been somewhat dulled as plenty of things can play mp3's.

I know obviously a mp3 is a recording and therefore not live but it is decent to get more content.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Topic title changed to make more specific

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutcaseAnyway View Post

ipods are for the Disney generation IMHO anyway.

A very strange comment.

Let's see. My mother uses an iPod, she is 80. All my brothers and sisters (and spouses) use them, ranging in age from 49 to 60. my wife and I use them, we are 46. My children and my nieces and nephews use them, ranging in age from 7 to 30.

So ..... What, exactly, is the Disney generation? Which of us are in there?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagoner View Post

So ..... What, exactly, is the Disney generation? Which of us are in there?

Walt Disney produced his first silent animated feature "Little Red Riding Hood" back in 1922 so I guess the Disney generation are people in their 80's and 90's. Perhaps they've finally ripped their 78s to their iPods and put their Victrolas on eBay.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 AM

My local channel HDTV antenna is split

with my HD Radios. Reception is

perfect on both!

JohnnyJT
South Philly