Insignia NS-HD01 portable HD Radio-$50 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading about this and seeing the sale at Best Buy I thought I'd give it a try as a cheap way to add digital radio to my car. I checked availability at my local BB and it showed in stock.

15 minutes of looking myself at BB yielded no results so I ended up talking to 4 workers who had no idea what I was talking about. It wasn't on display anywhere. The manager got involved and immediately knew what I was looking for. He referred me to another guy who unlocked a case on the floor and dug way in the back and found 5 of them. After talking to 6 people, Bingo!

First impression was WoW this thing is tiny! After the quick read of the setup guide I hooked this up to my head unit and gave it a whirl.
EVERY HD channel was distorted and sounded awful, even those with full bars of signal. FM was pretty bad as well. I moved this thing all around and nothing helped. My area has pretty great signal strength and reception is generally very good with other devices so I was surprised as to how bad this was performing. The output volume was really low as well. I plugged in the include headphones and gave it a quick listen and the reception improved a bit but still sounded pretty bad.
Overall I thought that it wasn't going to work for my purpose and returned it after about an hour of driving around with it.
If I were using it for walking around(with headphones) I would imaging any $10 analog tuner would probably do a better job getting in your local stations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 06-04-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you were receiving HD stations and they sounded weak and distorted then something is wrong with the unit or the headphones.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #123 of 127 Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Based on the posts here and my recent realization that HDRadio works really well in the home, I picked up one of these this past week.

I took it out for a walk this morning and was listening to one of the AM-simulcast sub channels (on FM) and after walking around a bit I realized: Hey - this thing hasn't cut out once or done anything stupid. It's a really great way to listen to local FM (or AM sub-channeled) radio.

I was a bit apprehensive about it after dealing with the car HDRadio a while back (cutting back and forth between digital and analog) but this really does work well. I look forward to taking it on future walks/hikes.

I also kind of like how it's small/light/compact.

I can understand them not including AM due to AM basically being directional (You need to have the loop antenna oriented the correct way) and that HDRadio seems like a non-starter. What's nice is that if you're listening to FM, well, this easily beats any previous (analog) portable FM radio I had which, while not being directional in terms of antenna orientation, seemed to be more prone to signal degradation as the antenna flopped about.

With this one you just get a solid signal/stream of music.

For reference: I'm in Duluth, GA (suburb of Atlanta). Not really next to any antennas but also not crazy far away, either.
post #124 of 127 Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM

How long does it take to charge the battery. My display shows all of the bars but it says its still charging.
post #125 of 127 Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't think it's more than a couple of hours.

Mine says: Charge Complete

when done. I think once in a while it gets confused and doesn't say that. I'd say that if you charged it all night you're probably good.
post #126 of 127 Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

mine states "main: 01.00.00"

Code:
Main: 4.00.14
Module: CHPK_IFNA_IAO_2_2_0/40_CLK40_2293822897_NA_Apr_28_2010_10:25
So looking at this, my firmware is version 4, from April 28, compiled at 10:25. Or at least some bit of firmware is. Might just be the radio chipset, and not the operating firmware. Picked mine up in Inver Grove Heights, MN today.
post #127 of 127 Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Just got my radio today. Not bad, actually. I could have picked up the new Insignia radio, but I prefer a radio with buttons on it right now, since winter is coming, and up here in Minnesota, it's nice to be able to keep your hands inside your pockets, or keep your gloves on. Also I didn't feel safe spending $80 on a radio that was a gamble right now.

The reception is surprisingly good. So far, I'm able to get most of the FM stations in the area, except The Current (a free-form public radio music station that I rather like), where analog is poor and HD is non-existent, and a couple others that I never really listen to anyway.. All information says that they have an HD signal, except HD Radio's website. For the most part, I can't tell when it switches between analog and HD, except on the local rock station KXXR, when I notice a change in the low-end. It's easily dismissed after listening to it for a second, but that's it. Other than that, it was able to pick up almost all of the other HD Radio stations in my area with a fairly strong signal (and except for The Current/KCMP, I really didn't care for the rest of them anyhow).

The reception seems to be better with my V-Moda headset than with the 3' cable to my speakers. In all, it's pretty much what I wanted, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I hope to test it out in a car sometime soon, once my schedule permits me to go driving about in the car that actually has a tape deck.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page