post #1 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10284790-1.html

"Insignia's NS-HD01 is the first portable HD Radio--and it's only $50"

"The iPod-sized unit is the first truly portable (battery powered) HD Radio, and its $50 price tag makes it the most affordable HD model to date. "
More Info through Link, above.

There he goes again... Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It sounds good. I will check it out today.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #3 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It does show up on the Best Buy website. It will be interesting to see what the performance is like. Also, I wonder if it will be available under another brand name somewhere else? I hae actually be looking for something as simple as an AM/FM portable radio that has a rechargeable battery. I have another headset radio that uses AA batteries, but I have thought it might be handy to have something that is rechargeable for listening to while on the treadmill at the fitness center. Normally I would be listening to analog low power signals from inside the club, but also having HD would be a bonus. I think that sensitivity will have to be excellent to succeed as an HD portable radio.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960
post #4 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10284790-1.html

"Insignia's NS-HD01 is the first portable HD Radio--and it's only $50"

"The iPod-sized unit is the first truly portable (battery powered) HD Radio, and its $50 price tag makes it the most affordable HD model to date. "
More Info through Link, above.

No AM section means no sale for me. AM-HD at least makes an attempt at better sound (a poor attempt as it sounds like the tweeters are fried on my speakers).

I've not yet heard an FM-HD which sounds better than its analog counterpart. If FM stations used no audio processing (Optimod) on the digital signal it would sound far better than Optimud analog, but if a frog had wings.

Oh, and that's with only one subchannel. When you get HD-2 and especially HD-3 I have to say FM-HD is not FM quality.
post #5 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Well I like 92.9-hd2/radio boston but lately there's also been wbcn hd-3 has been playing some pretty good stuff lately.

I wish wumd would fix their transmitter...it's sad but it's been knocked off of hd and their analog is now far worse due to a storm nearly a year ago...they play some good heavy metal on fridays.

wers I think can be good but their hd2 channel is the same as the first! Colleges could really add some interesting content.

I think the difference between hdfm and analog can be better felt if its a surround system rather than just 2 straight speakers.
post #6 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I wonder if it will be available under another brand name somewhere else?

I wonder if this is the radio Ibiquity was said to be working on themselves, being sold under the Insignia brand name. It would make a lot of sense.

I 'spect there was no way to get a clean enough AM signal from an antenna that close to the DAC.
post #7 of 127 Old 07-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

I wonder if this is the radio Ibiquity was said to be working on themselves, being sold under the Insignia brand name. It would make a lot of sense.

I 'spect there was no way to get a clean enough AM signal from an antenna that close to the DAC.

Store brands are usually made by OEM's so I would suspect that this might be true.
post #8 of 127 Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 PM

Because I am a early adopter, I bought one of these online and picked it up on my way home. In the parking lot using the supplied earbuds, I got WHTZ & WCBS-FM in HD (Best Buy at Manalapan on Rt 9 in NJ). No AM is a huge minus, but it does RDS and it seems to be a good tuner - sitting at my friends house I was able to get analog WLEV & WCTO from the Leigh Valley & WSTW from Delaware.

I'll take it outside for a walk for a better test run....but its got a better tuner than all of my previous Walkman.
post #9 of 127 Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Does it do forced analog? That's kind of a must around here.
post #10 of 127 Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

Does it do forced analog? That's kind of a must around here.

Havent gotten to any secret menus...so TFN, nope - no forced analog.
post #11 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM

Is this good for the car? I was thinking about using this with my FM Transmitter, I was also wondering about the distance of this device. Can anybody help?
post #12 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM

I have also been thinking about a small portable HD radio to use outdoors, when I'm mowing, walking, riding a bike, ect. The picture of this radio shows an arm carrier and this will be perfect.

This radio does not have an AM band or AM with HD, so this may be a deal breaker. For me, AM and FM is a MUST. We have two AM HD stations so far in Grand Rapids. WGVU 1480 is NPR and WTKG 1230 is NewsTalk.
post #13 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Just got it at Best Buy (Novi, MI). They had four and their existence was news to them. They were on a pegboard near portable radios and accessories. The guy I asked said, "If we were to get anything like that, it'd probably be right around ...well, whaddya know. Here it is." Then he got on his little radio and told everyone else.

Honestly, I would have expected them to be featured on a display near stuff such as the Zune, but lacking an MP3 player, I can understand the logic. They only had four in stock. Three now.

The charger cord that comes with it is a mini to USB cable meant to plug into a computer. Luckily, I have an overabundance of min-USB wall warts. It's plugged into one of those now.

I will test it out in the car. Tomorrow, most likely. If not, I'm sure it'll get put through the paces over the weekend.

No AM isn't a deal-breaker here, as the big sports station is an AM-FM simulcast and the all-news AM station is on a sub of THAT.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #14 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

I picked one up from the Pembroke Pines Best Buy last night. They had it locked up with the iPods. They had 6 in stock, now 5 after I got mine. It cost around $50, sounds pretty good considering it uses earbuds. The screen is the best feature IMHO. It is easy to see and the HD-FM and RDBS info are displayed. The biggest features it should have are AM-HD/analog AM (luckily WQAM is simulcast on WPOW-HD3), microSD slot (I currently have WMAs/MP3s on my Samsung phone), and a way to force analog mode. The good news is that I have found the FM tuner to be pretty good and it picks up virtually every HD-FM signal in the area. The battery has pretty good life for me so far. I've used it for about 2 hours today and it still has three bars. The FM signal meter is clear and the switch from the analog FM to HD is noticable indoors where analog FM may be scratchy. Outdoors, I found it difficult to tell a different between analog and HD.

CapeFish

post #15 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM

I would like to buy one eventually. First for those who have bought one I want to know how good is the analog FM selectivity? When there is a strong analog signal does is bleed over to the adjacent frequency? Every portable radio I have owned has done that except the DEGEN DE1123 with DSP that I recently bought. Also if there is a strong FM station like at at 89.7 from a nearby tower will a station at 89.5 come in that is far away? I know if there is an HD radio station it will block adjacent frequencies. Where I live only 2 stations have HD radio signals and the NPR station is the only one I would listen to and they only have an HD 1 channel. But when traveling I like to get HD radio channels.
post #16 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFish View Post

I picked one up from the Pembroke Pines Best Buy last night. They had it locked up with the iPods. They had 6 in stock, now 5 after I got mine. It cost around $50, sounds pretty good considering it uses earbuds. The screen is the best feature IMHO. It is easy to see and the HD-FM and RDBS info are displayed. The biggest features it should have are AM-HD/analog AM (luckily WQAM is simulcast on WPOW-HD3), microSD slot (I currently have WMAs/MP3s on my Samsung phone), and a way to force analog mode. The good news is that I have found the FM tuner to be pretty good and it picks up virtually every HD-FM signal in the area. The battery has pretty good life for me so far. I've used it for about 2 hours today and it still has three bars. The FM signal meter is clear and the switch from the analog FM to HD is noticable indoors where analog FM may be scratchy. Outdoors, I found it difficult to tell a different between analog and HD.

I am realy glad to have found this HD message board. I have been looking for a while. l live in Northern Virginia and only a few Best Buy's are carrying the portable, and they are pretty far away. I would love to get this, but I am a bit concerned about reception, and very worried about battery life, as with a lot of the digital devices. I noticed that you have three bars left after 2 hours of use. How many bars does it have in total, so I can get a good indication?

Thanks...
post #17 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ran it off and on all afternoon and it still shows three bars, which is its maximum. Initial full charging time is about 90 minutes.

I've yet to get it into a real-life outside situation, but it's picking up stations in my office which my Boston Acoustics radio will not without being connected to my outside antenna. I figure that's pretty good. More as I live with it a while.

Plus, it's just fifty bucks.

post #18 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Ran it off and on all afternoon and it still shows three bars, which is its maximum. Initial full charge time is about 90 minutes.

I've yet to get it into a real-life outside situation, but it's picking up stations in my office which my Boston Acoustics radio will not without being connected to my outside antenna. I figure that's pretty good. More as I live with it a while.

Plus, it's just fifty bucks.

How could you have ru it offa nd on all afternoon, yet it still shows three bars, It sounds like it only has a real battery life of 90 minutes, My friend said that Siport claimed, as do some of the articles on the portable, that it will run for ten hours. One article slipped and said ten hours in playback-mode, but this thing isn't an MP3 player. Siport's own documentations claimed 3.3 volts and 110mW in HD Radio Playback-mode only. I smell a rat. Thanks MUCH for the info - I email your post around and post it everywhere!
post #19 of 127 Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

It has three bars, but I think I am returning it because the lack of AM is a killer once I leave the city. Not having baseball games kills it for me.

It is not a bad radio, but the shortcomings I mentioned above are enough to make me wait.

CapeFish

post #20 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDportable View Post

It sounds like it only has a real battery life of 90 minutes,

No, read my post. that's how long it takes to CHARGE it. I'll leave it on this morning and see what kind of battery life it delivers while in digital mode. I expect the published ten hours or so given how it behaved, yesterday.

Interesting note about its analog receiver: the separation exceeds all of the other portable radios I own. Noticed, yesterday, that a couple of stations in my area have very poor separation in analog, but - naturally - sound much better in HD mode.

UPDATE: On a solid two hours in HD (tuned to our sister station's HD2) added to the two hours off-and-on yesterday and it's still showing three bars. I have it patched into my console so I can check it when I'm not busy. Running the volume at 8.

NUTHER UPDATE: First bar disappeared at the three hour mark, this morning. Which would mean about 4 - 5 hours operation per "bar."

post #21 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #22 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

That's interesting. It sounds a bit tempting. I like the way how the display it looks like will actually give you the information for a station and the sub channels all at once!

I always thought that radio should catch up to tv in these things. If a hdtv can have a over the air EPG for a large amount of stations I'd say the same should be true with radio. You shouldn't exactly have to listen to things without knowing what is being played. I know some might feel it takes the randomness out but at least it helps sell the tracks.
post #23 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've been waiting for something like this for a few years now. I'll have to pick one up.
post #24 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, found an issue, at least on my unit. Store an HD-2 station as a preset and it will go back to that HD2 station until you power the unit off. When you power it back up, the same presets I programmed for HD2 stations revert back to the main channel. I reprogrammed them a couple of times and they always fell back to the main channel after a power cycle.

Locked on to all of the locals in the studio. Not bad for a shielded room and a short little audio cord for an antenna. Didn't care for my car's cassette adapter. Lots of multipath issues with it, but that predictably disappeared when I switched back to my earbuds (Creative Zen Auroras). That was the limit of my vehicle testing as I don't like to drive with earbuds in.

FWIW, 5 hours continuous plus 3 intermittent (more on than off) and still just one bar down.

post #25 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm just thinking of other questions.

Does it feel that warm while it is running? I know my car hd one I can feel the heat (it's actually a nice thing in the winter)

I'm tempted between this and the XDRF1HD...

then again if the next zune comes out with this on top of mp3's...
post #26 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Hmmm just thinking of other questions.

Does it feel that warm while it is running? I know my car hd one I can feel the heat (it's actually a nice thing in the winter)

Not noticeably warm. There's a spot on the rear around the label that is slightly warm to the touch. That's it.

I know what you mean, though. My HD Jump can fry an egg after it's been running a while.

Went to Best Buy to get another one. Sold out.

UPDATE: Battery lasted for roughly 11 hours constant plus another 3 hours intermittent. Not scientific, by any means, but there you go.

post #27 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Ok, found an issue, at least on my unit. Store an HD-2 station as a preset and it will go back to that HD2 station until you power the unit off. When you power it back up, the same presets I programmed for HD2 stations revert back to the main channel. I reprogrammed them a couple of times and they always fell back to the main channel after a power cycle.

That's the kind of thing that would be a dealbreaker for me, since it's the -2 stations that interest me the most about HD Radio. Anyone know how Insignia is with firmware updates?
post #28 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
ok, you guys sucked me in... stopped by my local bb on the way home... completely out of stock... similar to an earlier poster, the person i spoke to at the store had never heard of it, so i brought them over to the (empty) spot where it should be... he looked it up, and they had none...

soon enough, i suppose...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #29 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 PM

I bought one of these yesterday but I want to increase reception. If I buy a headphone splitter, can I buy a antenna or something to increase the range?
post #30 of 127 Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

my two nearest bb's I think are out of stock. there's a few others that aren't though.
Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page