"Go to: SaveYourRadio.Org" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is the latest thing I've found HD Radio stations displaying instead of the song title. A local Clear Channel station is displaying this during commercials. The site itself seems alarmist to me so I don't know if it's worth looking at.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 282
We're all doing it. It's an effort to stop legislation that would require radio stations to pay performer royalties in much the same way songwriter royalties are now paid.

However, all the stations here only put that up during talk or commercial breaks. When there's a song playing, we still run title/artist. Maybe your station has a stuck data generator. I know we showed Toby Keith "I Love This Bar" for an entire weekend until I could swing by and reboot the thing.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

This is the latest thing I've found HD Radio stations displaying instead of the song title. A local Clear Channel station is displaying this during commercials. The site itself seems alarmist to me so I don't know if it's worth looking at.

I said it about HD Radio and I'll say it about this too ... how can an industry whose entire income is based on advertising come up with such HORRENDOUS ad copy?

The issue is legit, but that website makes it sound like the tinfoil hat club. It takes a special sort of genius to out-incompetent the RIAA when it comes to public relations
post #4 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
It figures that the royalty thing would come up for radio, now that Internet music channels (they are not "radio stations") agreed to pay them. Of course, that happened because Congress said they had to.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #5 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 AM

I beleive that radio as an industry must take on the RIAA and their minions. If the music industry wants to charge broadcasters an extra charge for playing records/cd's, then they broadcast industry should start charging record companies (The RIAA etc) for the free advertising which broadcasting said records gives. It's only fair that radio protect itself. Playing music isn't a one way street. Let's see how well the record industry does when radio stations no longer provide free advertising for their product.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

I can understand sometimes if a dj talks over a bit of a track to start I had a music class that discussed that a bit. However if radio stations stop playing music and aren't locally based in content then what? muzak?

It should be noted that not all of the artists and musicians are part of the RIAA to start with. Smaller labels sometimes aren't either.

That's why I say just start switching to non riaa music...
post #7 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

However if radio stations stop playing music and aren't locally based in content then what? muzak?

Talk and infomercials. All stations. All the time. Not kidding.

The only exceptions would be the largest stations in the largest markets where ad revenue could cover the royalties.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

Talk and infomercials. All stations. All the time. Not kidding.

The only exceptions would be the largest stations in the largest markets where ad revenue could cover the royalties.

Nah. The labels aren't stupid. They know they need the exposure to drive sales. Artists know they need the exposure to sell concert tickets. I could see entire labels or artist rosters waiving the fees for certain acts. This legislation will kill off the very segment it's designed to protect: the little guy. New artists? Forget it. It'll be cheaper to have house bands cut great songs or refresh oldies by non-legendary performers. And a lot of those legends wrote their own stuff, anyway, so they'll still get royalties.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Nah. The labels aren't stupid.

Wait ... are we talking about the same guys who spent years trying to stop the spread of illegal mp3s by telling everyone who would listen that they were "CD quality"?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Wait ... are we talking about the same guys who spent years trying to stop the spread of illegal mp3s by telling everyone who would listen that they were "CD quality"?

Ya got a point, there.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

The issue is legit, but that website makes it sound like the tinfoil hat club. It takes a special sort of genius to out-incompetent the RIAA when it comes to public relations

Really, that web site makes the issue look like an urban legend, like the email tax from the post office or something like it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Sat Radio is in the same mess, but they got the subscribers to pay for the RIAA Federal Stimulus Bail-Out directly (by passing it on) rather than through their taxes...
post #13 of 13 Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

Sat Radio is in the same mess, but they got the subscribers to pay for the RIAA Federal Stimulus Bail-Out directly (by passing it on) rather than through their taxes...

Not necessarily true, looking at the sat radio threads some people are tired of the rate increases and are planning on canceling....
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page