onkyo up-ht1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone . I'm new to the forms, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed.I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Onkyo new HD turner? I'm thinking of buying this add on for the ht-s6200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 AM

Liked: 16
I'm also interested as I may be purchasing an Onkyo TX-NR 3007 or 5007. I could either purchase the up-ht1 or look for an additional input for my Sony XDR-F1HD. I'm sorry Onkyo removed the HD tuners from the top end receivers this year.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

I'm also interested as I may be purchasing an Onkyo TX-NR 3007 or 5007. I could either purchase the up-ht1 or look for an additional input for my Sony XDR-F1HD. I'm sorry Onkyo removed the HD tuners from the top end receivers this year.

Onkyo removed the HD tuner??? I was waiting for the new 5507 to come out, but if it has no HD tuner then maybe I will wait for the new Integra 80.1 to come out.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd like to hear some comments about this HD tuner, too. I just picked up an RC-160 a/v receiver and would like to add this some day down the road.

Thanks.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-28-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

well i know that it is only available for newer versions of Onkyo receivers.I haven't seen a good price other then 149 but i think this Monday ill pick this up.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoehand View Post

well i know that it is only available for newer versions of Onkyo receivers.I haven't seen a good price other then 149 but i think this Monday ill pick this up.

Yeah. That's the best I've seen it priced at online. I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Did you pick one up? If so how is it working out for you? I thought about getting the UP-HT1 for my Onkyo TX-NR807 and would like to hear feedback. I don't listen to the radio at home a lot but when I do I get tired of the hearing static.

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #8 of 13 Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
please do, my favorite talk radio station broadcasts in hd and i'd love to clear up the signal out here in the stix.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
After searching for several days for a better deal on the UP-HT1 I finally ordered one from Crutchfield. It's supposed to be delivered next Tuesday.

It appears that Crutchfield is the only retailer that currently has it in stock. Most other sites indicate that it's back ordered and many sites indicate they don't know when they're getting some more. I had ordered it from shopblt.com for less than $115. After several days of showing it as not in stock, it suddenly showed in stock so I ordered it. I got an e-mail two days later indicating:

"As of today, management has decided to (at least temporarily) stop carrying the Onkyo line due to various reasons, primarily including mispacks at the factory resulting in missing components, poor factory packaging and carrier mishandling resulting in freight damage. Our staff has been overwhelmed with claims of these nature, which has resulted in the line becoming unprofitable for us, and not in line with the level of quality and service our customers have come to expect, and deserve.

We have restricted any future sales of this line until these issues can be addressed and resolved satisfactorily. This is why our website is showing these items as discontinued today.

Rest assured that your order is still in place, with an estimated arrival into our warehouse of the date shown above (15 days). Once your item arrives into stock, your order will be processed and shipped (up to 5 more days). If your shipment arrives at your location with any damage or missing components, we will issue you a prepaid label to return the item for a refund. We will not, however, be able to replace your shipment."

On one site the price history showed that the lowest price was in August for less than $110.

I live in San Diego and according to hdradio.com most of the FM and many of the AM stations broadcast in HD Radio format and I'm probably within 20 miles or less for most of them . There are a couple of local stations that broadcast from Mexico with offices in the US so there is no info available for them. I only found one station that had anything on their website indicating that they broadcast in HD Radio format. Only one of four stations that I e-mailed replied and they said they didn't think it was worth the investment.

I don't know whether I feel like an early adopter of a technology that will take off or like I just bought a Betamax.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My UP-HT1 HD Radio Tuner got delivered a few hours ago. I've installed it and set up all of my presets.

Initial impressions: It's a small black box with only a 3-way slide switch in the front lower right corner that can be set to Tuner/Through/Auto. Other than that, not much to tell. There is no display on the tuner itself. What looks like it could be a display is just a decorative treatment. The photos I've seen led me to believe that the display was on the tuner.

I turned off my receiver, plugged the tuner into the Universal Port, plugged in the antennas, set the switch to Tuner, turned the receiver on, and selected PORT. The display on my 707 immediately showed PORT on the first line and UP-HT1 on the second line. Setting up the presets is nearly identical to setting up the presets on the built-in AM/FM tuner on the receiver with a couple of exceptions. One difference is that you can't use the front panel, you have to use the remote. To actually set the preset number you have to press the Setup button on the remote and using the right and left arrow keys select the number you want. If you have an OSD-capable receiver (the TX-SR707 and up I believe) it will also display on your TV.

All of the FM stations in San Diego that broadcast digitally came in as digital with the exception of KPBS. KSDS is a college station affiliated with SDSU and broadcasts at a lower power and this station frequently switched between analog and digital. Both are at the low end of the FM band. AM stations were a complete bust and I couldn't get even one station to come in as HD. The reception for AM was actually worse than the built-in tuner. I also get LA stations and of the two that I sometimes listen to only one came in. On the other one there is just silence but no static. I set 15 presets. Of the 15 only four don't broadcast digitally. Of these 11, five have multicasting with one sub channel. KPBS is supposed to have two but since I could only receive it in analog I couldn't access them.

For FM reception I'm using my old ChannelMaster 4221 4-Bay Bowtie Antenna which I originally put up on the chimney for OTA HD almost 10 years ago. This also worked really well for the built-in tuner for FM. For AM I used the loop antenna that came with the tuner. I'm about 20 miles north-northwest of downtown San Diego but the radio broadcast towers are all over the county.

Most of the HD Radio stations have RDS but not all. The display formats varied quite a bit, but all of them show the call letters or nickname, artist name, and song title. Some will also display the genre of the station. You can press the Display button on the remote to cycle through this information. Otherwise it will scroll on one or both lines depending on the station and the format.

The OSD shows the info in five lines:

[AM/FM] [Frequency, Call Letters, or Nickname] [Preset #]ch
[HD(n) (if broadcasting in HD and which subchannel]
Name : [Artist Name]
Title: : [Song Title]
Other : [Just about anything the station wants to put in here]

The actual data displayed also varied widely depending on the station. The OSD only displays briefly when tuning to a station. When you press the Display button it will also show on the screen as well as the receiver display but the OSD is gone in a second or two. With my TV I'm left looking at a blue screen most of the time so the OSD isn't worth using except during setup.

I was surprised to find out that the non-digital FM stations had RDS but I don't have any cars that have radios with RDS so I didn't know. I was also surprised to see that when a commercial comes on it shows the name of the product or company. I was mostly surprised to find out how inconsistently the RDS data was displayed between the different stations.

Sound quality: It's difficult to do an A-B comparison because the volume of the built-in FM tuner is higher than the HD Radio tuner. Also when you select PORT the reception is initially analog and then switches to HD. I did notice a difference when listening at a louder volume. After listening to the digital signal for a few minutes and then switching I heard more noise in the analog signal from the built-in tuner.

Multicast: See above. The stations that have multicast have a completely different playlist with no dj or commercials. If you briefly lose the digital signal for a multicast channel, the sound just goes silent as there is no analog to fall back on. This is kind of annoying.

Is it worth the currently available price of $150? That's pretty subjective and completely up to you. It depends on where you live, how many HD Radio stations are in your area, what kind of reception you'll get, whether you like the multicast channels, etc.

After I ordered this I've started looking into digital music streaming and ended up with a Logitech Squeezebox v3 (Classic) for the same money. It's been shipped but the shipping info from UPS is sketchy. It will probably arrive next week so I'll have three weeks to compare. One of them will be probably be going back.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post

My UP-HT1 HD Radio Tuner got delivered a few hours ago. I've installed it and set up all of my presets.

Initial impressions: It's a small black box with only a 3-way slide switch in the front lower right corner that can be set to Tuner/Through/Auto. Other than that, not much to tell. There is no display on the tuner itself. What looks like it could be a display is just a decorative treatment. The photos I've seen led me to believe that the display was on the tuner.

I turned off my receiver, plugged the tuner into the Universal Port, plugged in the antennas, set the switch to Tuner, turned the receiver on, and selected PORT. The display on my 707 immediately showed PORT on the first line and UP-HT1 on the second line. Setting up the presets is nearly identical to setting up the presets on the built-in AM/FM tuner on the receiver with a couple of exceptions. One difference is that you can't use the front panel, you have to use the remote. To actually set the preset number you have to press the Setup button on the remote and using the right and left arrow keys select the number you want. If you have an OSD-capable receiver (the TX-SR707 and up I believe) it will also display on your TV.

All of the FM stations in San Diego that broadcast digitally came in as digital with the exception of KPBS. KSDS is a college station affiliated with SDSU and broadcasts at a lower power and this station frequently switched between analog and digital. Both are at the low end of the FM band. AM stations were a complete bust and I couldn't get even one station to come in as HD. The reception for AM was actually worse than the built-in tuner. I also get LA stations and of the two that I sometimes listen to only one came in. On the other one there is just silence but no static. I set 15 presets. Of the 15 only four don't broadcast digitally. Of these 11, five have multicasting with one sub channel. KPBS is supposed to have two but since I could only receive it in analog I couldn't access them.

For FM reception I'm using my old ChannelMaster 4221 4-Bay Bowtie Antenna which I originally put up on the chimney for OTA HD almost 10 years ago. This also worked really well for the built-in tuner for FM. For AM I used the loop antenna that came with the tuner. I'm about 20 miles north-northwest of downtown San Diego but the radio broadcast towers are all over the county.

Most of the HD Radio stations have RDS but not all. The display formats varied quite a bit, but all of them show the call letters or nickname, artist name, and song title. Some will also display the genre of the station. You can press the Display button on the remote to cycle through this information. Otherwise it will scroll on one or both lines depending on the station and the format.

The OSD shows the info in five lines:

[AM/FM] [Frequency, Call Letters, or Nickname] [Preset #]ch
[HD(n) (if broadcasting in HD and which subchannel]
Name : [Artist Name]
Title: : [Song Title]
Other : [Just about anything the station wants to put in here]

The actual data displayed also varied widely depending on the station. The OSD only displays briefly when tuning to a station. When you press the Display button it will also show on the screen as well as the receiver display but the OSD is gone in a second or two. With my TV I'm left looking at a blue screen most of the time so the OSD isn't worth using except during setup.

I was surprised to find out that the non-digital FM stations had RDS but I don't have any cars that have radios with RDS so I didn't know. I was also surprised to see that when a commercial comes on it shows the name of the product or company. I was mostly surprised to find out how inconsistently the RDS data was displayed between the different stations.

Sound quality: It's difficult to do an A-B comparison because the volume of the built-in FM tuner is higher than the HD Radio tuner. Also when you select PORT the reception is initially analog and then switches to HD. I did notice a difference when listening at a louder volume. After listening to the digital signal for a few minutes and then switching I heard more noise in the analog signal from the built-in tuner.

Multicast: See above. The stations that have multicast have a completely different playlist with no dj or commercials. If you briefly lose the digital signal for a multicast channel, the sound just goes silent as there is no analog to fall back on. This is kind of annoying.

Is it worth the currently available price of $150? That's pretty subjective and completely up to you. It depends on where you live, how many HD Radio stations are in your area, what kind of reception you'll get, whether you like the multicast channels, etc.

After I ordered this I've started looking into digital music streaming and ended up with a Logitech Squeezebox v3 (Classic) for the same money. It's been shipped but the shipping info from UPS is sketchy. It will probably arrive next week so I'll have three weeks to compare. One of them will be probably be going back.

Very thorough and detailed review. I think I will just stick with my Sirius for now. I live out in BFE 40 miles outside of Denver so even getting the HD Denver stations could be iffy. If anything I will invest in expanding my Sirius collection. I have a Sirus ready Kenwood CD deck from several years back and also a Sirius Sportster and Sportster boombox. I may invest in a Sportster vehicle kit for the wife and a sporster kit for the home. The possibility of that same Sportster receiver being needed simultaneously is slim to none in my current circumstances so I should be able to get a lot out of just adding a dock for the wife's car and one for the house, while just using the same receiver for the boombox, the wife's car, and the home.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Buying and selling items is for Club areas only.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM

My apologies.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page