Deep Tracks HD-2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed a few people mention "Deep Tracks" on their favorite HD-2 stations. It looks to me like there are a lot of markets who are carrying the same station, so it must be syndicated somehow. In St. Louis, it's 106.5 HD-2, but I got the track listing here:
http://www.tunegenie.com/onair/wdrvhd2/
which is from WDRV 97.1 in Chicago.

I have two questions:
1) Anyone else get this same station in your market that you know of, besides St. Louis and Chicago?
2) The St. Louis station doesn't broadcast song info; it just says "Deep Tracks". I've noticed that on a lot of syndicated HD shows. They'll broadcast the name of the show and that's it. Is that to be expected, or is there hope that a syndicated show could also broadcast specific song info?

- Brian Q.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have a local HD2 channel called "Deep Cuts", but it includes (prerecorded and repeating) announcements by Greg Kihn, one of the regular hosts ("DJs") on the main channel, so I don't think it is a syndicated program in this case. The station is KUFX 98.5, though they call it "K-FOX". Both channels do show artist and song names.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Ditto Detroit. WCSX-HD2 is locally programmed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 PM

I am editing my original post here. Deep Tracks on WARH was gone for a time due to technical problems but now its back. So now I retract my original statements.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
WDRV's HD2 "Deep Tracks" is the only non-NPR digital channel in this (Chicago) market I find worth listening to - at least that I'm able to receive.

Some around here might say that WXRT (and their HD2 channel) is still good, but I can't get that reliably, anyway.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike`L View Post

Looks like the geniuses at WARH 106.5 have changed the format for their hd-2 station. Deep tracks is out and replaced with "The arch hd-2". The meta-data still says "DEEP TRACKS" though. Morons! For now I am able to stream the real deep tracks online from www.wdrv.com. I guess I will have to tell everyone NOT to buy an HD radio now!!

Yeah, I noticed that just yesterday. It's now a pretty generic (albeit decent) classic rock station. Oh well. With either station, they never have figured out how to display song info. Get it together, WARH!
post #7 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike`L View Post

Looks like the geniuses at WARH 106.5 have changed the format for their hd-2 station. Deep tracks is out and replaced with "The arch hd-2". The meta-data still says "DEEP TRACKS" though. Morons! For now I am able to stream the real deep tracks online from www.wdrv.com. I guess I will have to tell everyone NOT to buy an HD radio now!!

Is it possible that they are using that as a "filler" for when the "Deep Tracks" feed is down?

"Deep Tracks" is produced at WDRV, but is passed to Salt Lake City via a T-1 line, where it is uplinked to all other stations. The T-1 has had issues lately, with some outages. Maybe that's their version of a "Trouble Slide".

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #8 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 AM

Ken, I sure hope that is the case, and I hope the T-1 connection gets fixed soon.

While I'm a fan of locally produced programming, I have enjoyed what I hear on WARH's "Deep Tracks" prior to the format change.

KSHE also has an enjoyable HD-2. It is locally programmed by Rich Dalton. It was not what I expected, which was a re-creation of the early days of KSHE, mixed with "K-SHE Klassics." There is some of that, but other songs don't fit in my opinion. But I've grown to like the station in its own right.

I have recorded both stations, and have been keeping an archive of some of the other HD's in the St. Louis market.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM

WCSX brodcasts deep trax on their HD2 subchannel in Detroit, in fact there are about 18 stations broadcasting HD channels in Detroit, and around 10 in Grand Rapids. Lansing being a very college oriented town would seem to me to have a bit more variety than you describe since they have more than three college channels broadcasting in HD alone.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 AM

I noticed late this afternoon that "Deep Tracks" is back on WARH HD-2, however its signal frequently breaks up. It sounds like they're still having problems with their T-1 connection.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM

Just came back to check on this thread and was pleasantly surprised, Deep Tracks is back on WARH! It seems to be working good tonight, no breakups. It is good because I was getting tired of streaming it online from WDRV.

A side question while I'm here: The smooth jazz (weather channel music) channel on KIHT-3 seems to be mostly dead and has been for a while. It comes in for a second or two and then quits. I am going to wager that the -3 stream is getting bit-starved because KIHT-1 (96.3 main program) and KIHT-2 (97.1 re-broadcast) work fine for me. Any ideas?
post #12 of 14 Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Mike 'L, in regards to KIHT HD-3's I have not experienced the problems you have had lately. I have noticed the HD-2 and HD-3 of KIHT have been offline periodically, but that was over a month ago.

It has been my experience that HD-3's have more trouble locking than the other HD subchannels.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Just noticed that WARH is now sending the song title and artist information metadata on HD-2 Deep Tracks! Previously no such information was present only a static "DEEP TRACKS" string. Keep up the good work WARH!
post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2010, 07:29 PM

It's carried here in LA as HD2 on 100.3 "The Sound." Whoever's programming this station is brilliant!
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page