Best Car Radio for 50-mile Reception? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at a JVC KD-HDR20. Is it the radio that offers the best reception?

Alternatively is there some how I can connect my Sony XDRF1HD tuner in my car? It has excellent reception over distance.

My Free TV streams 19 Mbps == 6000 GB/month per channel. No cellphone can do that. WHY kill off this excellent service??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You could connect the Sony XDRF1HD tuner in your car. You need antenna, power, and audio connections. You could get a 12 volt to 120 volts AC inverter for the Sony power. The antenna connector on the Sony is an F connector, but many vehicles use a Motorola connector, so you will need an adapter. If you have an existing receiver with an auxiliary input, you could feed audio from the Sony into the auxiliary input in the vehicle system. So, it is doable.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
the FM antenna on the car has almost as much to do with reception as the tuner. The old style vertical steel, fender mounted, FM antenna is usually far better than the newer "in the glass" wire antennas on the rear window.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have the fender mounted antenna. So about the JVC radio - any good?

My Free TV streams 19 Mbps == 6000 GB/month per channel. No cellphone can do that. WHY kill off this excellent service??
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

the FM antenna on the car has almost as much to do with reception as the tuner. The old style vertical steel, fender mounted, FM antenna is usually far better than the newer "in the glass" wire antennas on the rear window.

Second that. I've got the wire-on-the-window on my rear windshield. Totally sucks. Grr.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post

I'm looking at a JVC KD-HDR20. Is it the radio that offers the best reception?

Alternatively is there some how I can connect my Sony XDRF1HD tuner in my car? It has excellent reception over distance.

You don't say where you're from, that could affect your luck in receiving IBOC. You can test the waters by picking the station you'd like to hear IBOC from, then tune to both first-adjacents to see if you're picking up a signal.

If both are open your chances are good depending on the stations IBOC power level.

If one has a station you'll only receive the carriers on the side without a station.

If both have stations receivable you will not get IBOC at all as the carriers will be blocked by the analog signals.

This applies to both FM and AM. Many complain about IBOC carriers on analog signals, but analog blocking the OFDM carriers can be worse as it can prevent the radio from receiving that set of carriers at all.

Do the analog scan and you'll find out all you need to know before you lay your money down.
Reply HD Radio