WKDD Akron increases digital coverage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Call me late to the dance, but I discovered that WKDD 98.1 Monroe Falls Ohio had taken their digital signal out of service for several days which had me worried at first. Did they ever come back and then some! I'm thinking that they either boosted up 6dB or maybe the full Monte of 10dB! I don't know if their 50KW blowtorch worth of analog output has gone up from 500W digital to 2000W or 5000W but one thing is for sure, my deaf as a doorknob Insignia lit up full blast at work with nothing attached to it whereas weeks before I couldn't achieve digital lock on them with a wire antenna. Night and day difference and a true example of stunning incontrovertible evidence of FM digital penetration advances through increased signal provision. I never thought that I would witness this in my market. The next bit of news is that WKDD HD-2 is simulcasting 640 WHLO as is sister station WRQK HD2 with much better northeast coverage Now the digital sound of WHLO is rock (no pun intended from Canton's classic rock WRQK HD1) solid totally unshakable and is perhaps now the strongest digital signal in the entire region! Kudos to Mr. Keith Kennedy for getting this done and creating one of the most powerful HD radio stations in the Akron market.

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Upon further examination, I've discovered that the new tower location is about 2 miles do north of my job site which by itself would provide incredible signal coverage. Their pattern is directional north giving their new signal a direct line of sight pathway to target greater Cleveland as never before. It should be interesting to see how this alternative 640 WHLO AM digital audio (WKDD HD-2) will increase listenership since the AM outlet has to protect CFMJ in Ontario. Looks like they traded a southeast pattern that rocked western PA for a northbound signal heading for Cleveland and also protecting 97.9 WNCI in Columbus

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Where is the new tower? I used to skate around the swimming lake in Monroe Falls.

Kevin
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afw7962 View Post

Their pattern is directional north giving their new signal a direct line of sight pathway to target greater Cleveland as never before.

Take a look again, the signal is directional FROM the north. The signal is limited to 50% of the total ERP at 355°.
They have to protect a Canadian allotment.

Quote:

: Accepted on channel 251B by Industry Canada in 4/22/2009 letter as a specially negotiated, short-spaced allotment limited to the proposed parameters, including directional antenna pattern, towards channel 251B1 in London, ON (Az. = 350 deg to
Rule 73.215 (Contour Protection) Processing Requested.

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=1295451

I heard this station when I drove near there on 271 in July.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
post #6 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 AM

You have to take those radio locator maps with a grain of salt. They are based on strictly theoretical coverage. Especially when it comes to the use of a DA antenna. Those maps are based on the theoretical coverage of the station based on simple terrain and what the FCC licensed pattern shows. How the antenna actually performs and functions is completley different, and has enough variables that , I would not put ANY stock into the second map you posted showing the difference in signal.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

With regard to WKDD new signal placement, I know really don't know of the intimate details surrounding the practical coverage attributes as far as Cleveland coverage goes, but I do know that the move from Hartville to Munroe Falls, has significantly improved the Akron area and Northern Summit country coverage by far. Just having that stick in my back yard at work, makes for all of the difference in the world as far as taking a grade A HD digital signal completely for granted by my otherwise "deaf-eared" Insignia. Prior to their move, there really wasn't any purely local HD signal in this immediate area with most of the sticks buried deeply northwest of here in the Brecksville area. WKDD is three times closer consequently giving them damn-near ten times the signal power for being 3 times closer. You just can't buy that level of performance and signal satisfaction. They have just overtaken the previous non HD signal giant leader in this area: WONE which is now, TWICE AS FAR as WKDD is. I would think that just locating their stick this far Northwest, will give them a fighting chance in the Cleveland radio market region because they used to start to fringe-out in Mayfield Heights prior to this move. Maybe directly north, they have to protect but most likely towards the East side of Cleveland they would fair better. They have a higher HAAT now although their overall height has been lessened, it's all about "what you get to blow across without smacking into anything" that really counts and not always how high up your antenna may be, IMHO.

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page