Portable HD radio with ATSC audio out there? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have about a 45 minute commute each way and really miss the local analog TV broadcast that I used to pick up on FM in the car to listen to the news on the way home. My car has the aux in port so I figured I'd try and go big and see if there is some type of portable device out there that can tune in both HD radio signals and over the air DTV audio. Anyone know of anything or am I just dreaming?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Not at the moment. Though I did see a cute little portable digital TV at Radio Shack for a Benjamin. ATSC isn't terribly mobile-friendly, though. You're going to get a lot of breakups.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3902971

A Mobile DTV receiver might be better for your purposes, though not all stations are transmitting a Mobile DTV stream.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks, DrDon! I'll have to stop by the Shack to give them a gander. I figured I might be dreaming but wouldn't know for sure unless I asked.

Ryan
post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you mean the Auvio set, I have one and it works ok.
As can be expected, it performs a lot better on UHF than VHF, and
thanks to the transmission standard being what it is, it does not perform well in motion.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe when the RCA Model DMT3BR Pocket Mobile DTV Car Tuner Receiver is released you can go that route!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/r...ybrid-televis/

http://www.laptopdrv.net/2011/01/05/...d-televisions/

Mobile DTV is eventually creation inroads stateside, and right away RCA has announced a brand new line of moveable TVs which not only take value of a technology, but also throw in regular digital TV reception t’boot. The 4 inclination embody: 3.5-inch Hybrid Portable Television DMT335R (including the LED backlit LCD shade and both AC energy and 4 hours of playback on AA batteries for an MSRP of $109), 3.5-inch Hybrid Portable Television DMT336R (same as on top of, with additional FM receiver as well as internal Lithium Polymer battery, for an MSRP of $149); 7-inch Hybrid Portable Television DMT270R (800 x 480 LCD shade with 500:1 contrariety comparative measure, AC energy as well as built-in Lithium Polymer battery, and more for $169), as well as a automobile tuner receiver DMT3BR, featuring a automobile horse, remote carry out, as well as some-more, for the referred to retail cost $119. Psyched? We gamble you have been! Check out a art studio next or a PR after a mangle.
RCA DMT hybrid digital TV line

Show full PR textRCA is First to Launch New Line of Portable Television Products for Easy Reception of Both Standard and Mobile Digital TV Broadcasts

New Mobile Pocket TV Hybrids Pick Up Dual Broadcast Signals While On-the-Go
2011 International CES

LAS VEGAS–(BUSINESS WIRE)–With scarcely 70 TV broadcasters now transmitting Mobile Digital TV signals to viewers in markets throughout a country, RCA is rising a brand new line of portable digital radio sets that have the capability of reception both Mobile DTV as well as standard digital TV signals. Four new products for mobile consumers will shortly be available, together with 3.5″ as well as 7″ slot televisions as well as an innovative automobile tuner for car infotainment systems.

The brand new sets as well as car tuner/receiver can be seen at a 2011 International CES during both the RCA vaunt in Central Hall (#13338) as well as during the “CES Unveiled” press preview later this afternoon starting at 4PM during a Venetian Hotel. Photography of a brand new RCA models is available during www.*******.com/RCAPortableTV .

Battery-operated portable TV sets virtually left with the passing from one to another to all-digital report, as well as a brand new RCA products are the initial to suggest consumers the reception preference of possibly regular or mobile broadcasts transmitted by local TV stations.

“Our brand new Portable TVs will be the initial handheld hybrid radio receivers in the U.S. marketplace, and a brand new Mobile DTV functionality makes it probable for viewers to enjoy their favorite programs as well as internal news, weather, and sports wherever they go. Whether examination upon a sight, in a backseat of the car, or just relaxing at home, RCA slot TV sets will be ideal companions,” said Chris Lee, Vice President of Sales as well as Marketing for Digital Stream, a RCA licensee who is production and selling a new products. “We are closely monitoring a rollout of Mobile DTV marketplace by market, as well as we have been working with retailers which have been interested in bringing these new options to viewers,” Lee said.

Mobile DTV is the brand new assistance right away accessible from scarcely 70 local TV broadcasters, as well as viewers can check internal service accessibility on a “Signal Map” tab of www.OMVC.org. Local over-the-air stations have been upgrading equipment to broadcast a strong digital signals, that have been designed for “upon a go” accepting wherever viewers want to watch internal headlines, weather, sports, traffic, and the one preferred party programs. While digital TV was written for bound accepting in rabbit-ear versed vital rooms, Mobile DTV is optimized for personal observation on handheld devices (even if the spectator is in a backseat of an vehicle or upon the relocating train.)

The brand new line-up of RCA portable televisions includes 3 models of hybrid portable televisions in 3.5″ as well as 7″ screen sizes and a tiny Mobile DTV Car Tuner Receiver written to supplement live TV signals to existing automobile infotainment systems:

3.5″ Hybrid Portable Television — Model DMT335R (suggested retail price $109), with the splendid LED backlit LCD shade, hybrid ATSC or Mobile DTV accepting, AC energy or up to 4 hours of playback time upon rechargeable AA batteries, real-time vigilance strength indicator, closed captioning capacity, easel-back mount, English/Spanish arrangement and monopole receiver.

3.5″ Hybrid Portable Television — Model DMT336R (suggested retail cost $149), with a widescreen, ultra-bright LED backlit LCD shade, hybrid ATSC or Mobile DTV accepting, FM airwave accepting, AC energy or up to 4 hours of playback time on internal Lithium Polymer battery, real-time vigilance strength indicator, closed captioning capacity, easel-back stand, English/Spanish arrangement and monopole antenna.

7″ Hybrid Portable Television — Model DMT270R (suggested sell cost $169), with an 800×480 tall resolution widescreen LCD screen featuring 500:1 contrariety comparative measure, hybrid ATSC or Mobile DTV accepting, AC energy or up to 3 hours of playback time on built-in Lithium Polymer battery which can recharge whilst plugged in to a wall opening or automobile energy source, real-time vigilance strength indicator, sealed captioning capacity, easel-back mount, English/Spanish display as well as 360 grade adjustable receiver.

Pocket Mobile DTV Car Tuner Receiver – Model DMT3BR (suggested sell price $119), featuring the dissimilar design that is smaller than the rug of cards, hybrid ATSC or Mobile DTV accepting, powered by car horse, easy tie to the car infotainment system’s audio and video submit jacks, remote carry out, as well as the monopole antenna.

About Digital Stream:

About Digital Stream: Digital Stream, Inc. is based in Korea and the company’s U.S. operations are in Santa Fe Springs, California. Digital Stream’s sales, selling as well as distribution capabilities originated from its purpose in on condition that a largest U.S. share of digital converter set-top boxes for the 2009 digital TV acclimatisation module. Digital Stream is a licensee of the RCA brand from Technicolor.

Via Engadget
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page