Insignia Shelf System died; need new HD Radio for bedroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have one of these and the tuner section (only) mysteriously died. All I get now is a high-frequency hum. I believe it is a piece of junk, but now I need a new radio for the BR. Can anyone recommend something with either a real good tuner, or an external antenna input? My preferred station doesn't come in very well. It could be that the BR is at the back of the house, an adjacent station is interfering, or that we have aluminum siding that blocks the signal, or a combination of the three.

I don't really need any functions other than "wake to music". No CD, DVD, or MP3 playback. No iPod dock, etc. etc. I'm not going to turn it down if it has them, but I don't want to pay a lot extra for one that has them, either. Basically, just a clock radio, but with antenna inputs. It doesn't really even need an HD radio tuner, but I like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Gave you your own thread rather than resurrect a four-year-old thread with busted links.

That said, I have the Boston Acoustics Receptor. Two separate alarms. F-connector for an antenna.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM

I use a Visteon HD Pulse. I like it a lot. Plus it has plenty of in/outs in the back of the unit. I think this model is discontinued though. The AGT site will not allow you to proceed to check out. Check with the NPR Shop. That is were I got mine several months ago.

http://www.advancedgt.com/HD-Pulse-H...Radio-131.html

The other one that might work for you is a TEAC HD-1. I just ordered a refurb. Since I haven't used it yet, probably this week-end, I'll leave others to comment on it.

http://www.jr.com/product/productLis...?Ntt=TEAC+HD-1

The TEAC as well might be a discontinued model?

There doesn't seem to be any other models for home clock radio models that I know of. Focusing on Car HD Radios is a great idea. But, they need to release something new in the clock radio models.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 PM

The Sangean HDR-1 remains in their current line. It is available from various online vendors, and I have seen it on the shelf at Fry's. It has clock radio functions and a sleep timer. The telescoping antenna can be removed to reveal an F-type connector. There is also a jack for the AM loop antenna. There is an AUX jack for an external audio source. I don't own this radio, but I do have the HDT-1 tuner, which has served me well for a few years, now.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM

And the naysayers say there isn't a good solid selection of HD radios...

This thread alone proves that theory wrong!!

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM

It is a shame that Boston Acoustics will no longer make a HD-Radio. Their Recepter was and is still one of the Best HD-Radio ever made.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjt View Post

It is a shame that Boston Acoustics will no longer make a HD-Radio. Their Recepter was and is still one of the Best HD-Radio ever made.

JohnnyJT
South Philly

The problem was, the QC at Boston Acoustics was horrible. I personally know people who got "duds" of these. A lot of horror stories about some with bad AM sections but good FM sections, others which all together had problems. I lucked out, mine works excellent both with AM and FM. And has that nice smooth sound. I really enjoy it.

--Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer

Put your boots on folks, it's getting pretty deep in here!
Note: opinions and advice given here are mine and mine only.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Plugged in the TEAC HD-1 refurb unit I bought. Really good. Nice sound. Locked onto HD. Plugged in my old Nano ipod. Unit indicates if your ipod can handle tagging on the display.

The remote seemed very solid as well.

Has a aux input. Thinking of connecting a CD player and using it as a small system.

I didn't play with the clock section. I don't really care about it. Not planning to use it to wake me up.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1KNE View Post

The problem was, the QC at Boston Acoustics was horrible. I personally know people who got "duds" of these. A lot of horror stories about some with bad AM sections but good FM sections, others which all together had problems. I lucked out, mine works excellent both with AM and FM. And has that nice smooth sound. I really enjoy it.

The Recepter still has the best display of any HD radio with a perfect combination of large and small fonts for the song title and the station ID. I'm always surprised by the big sound I get from the small speakers. There are also some great "secret" features like EQ.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

I have one of these and the tuner section (only) mysteriously died. All I get now is a high-frequency hum. I believe it is a piece of junk,

Same thing happened to mine. Definitely a piece of junk!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Is Sony through making HD radios? If not, then I bet they don't have as many models as before still available.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
It'll probably depend on demand. Thanks to a lengthy design process, it's taken until now to get the things showing up in a significant number of new cars. And will take a few more years for enough of those cars to get on the road to where HD subchannels start to show up in the ratings (already happening in Detroit). Until that happens, I doubt many programmers are going to pay enough attention to their subchannels to create the kind of demand Sony'll need to start cranking out radios en masse.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page