KUFX dropped its HD-2 channel, so I skip the station entirely now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
KUFX here in the S. F. Bay Area is a "classic rock" station. (You know... Take an AOR station's playlist from about 1985, remove 90% of the list, and play the remaining 10% ten times as often, forever.) They used to also have an HD-2 channel called "deep tracks". (Again, think of an AOR station in 1985, but this one played as much as 30-40% of the 1985 playlist.) I could listen to the HD-2 station for reasonable periods and switch to the HD-1 when the '2 played a bad song, then switch back when something insufferable came on the HD-1. Well, with the HD-2 gone, I do not want to even bother stopping on this station as I tune my radio anymore, as I seldom hear anything remotely interesting (and, no, hearing "Black Magic Woman" or "Come Sail Away" again is NOT interesting). So, now I never hear their advertisers anymore...

Should I send a copy of this note to the station's management?

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Yeah, I would. Might be a reason.

We have an identical station setup here. The "Deep Tracks" subchannel is one of my presets. I'd be on the phone directly to their GM if it got tanked.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Actually, my criticism of the format itself would probably not go into the note, but I do want them to know that the HD2 channel is missed and that it is critical to keeping me (at least) as a listener.

This change happened shortly after the station's owners bought a former classical station here and started simulcasting the existing KUFX 98.5 on the second station. That second station never had the HD2 from the start of the new format, and then it disappeared from the original station as well. Interestingly, though, when the other station was classical, it had an HD2.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #4 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 AM

Liked: 10
Similar thing happened here in Philly, with WXPN. Except that's a member-supported station, and I was a member because of their -2 stream. Management pulled a bonehead move on their -2. I'm no longer a member. I made my reasons for that clear when they called me to ask for more money ;-)

Do let them know. They might not bring it back, but at least you'll feel better about it.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
Yes, send a note. They did not drop HD, so how much could the Deep Tracks HD-2 channel have cost them? What a shame to lose Deep Tracks.

The problem, according to another HD FM station in the Bay Area, is that the HD-2 sub-channels have very little, if any, advertising and are attracting an increasing number of listeners as HD receivers become more popular. The stations are concerned that those HD-2 listeners are hurting their audience numbers on their main channel where they have most of their advertising. Will those HD-2 listeners move to the HD-1 channel of the same station if HD-2 is dropped, or will they move to a completely different station?

This problem will get worse in the coming months and years because the 2012 model year for vehicles is when a lot of mass market vehicles are going to have HD Radios (like Toyota). The radio stations are going to have to re-think their whole model as HD Radio usage skyrockets. Stations not offering HD service are going to fade into irrelevance as listeners experience the higher audio quality of HD, but they might not want to offer HD-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

KUFX here in the S. F. Bay Area is a "classic rock" station. (You know... Take an AOR station's playlist from about 1985, remove 90% of the list, and play the remaining 10% ten times as often, forever.) They used to also have an HD-2 channel called "deep tracks". (Again, think of an AOR station in 1985, but this one played as much as 30-40% of the 1985 playlist.) I could listen to the HD-2 station for reasonable periods and switch to the HD-1 when the '2 played a bad song, then switch back when something insufferable came on the HD-1. Well, with the HD-2 gone, I do not want to even bother stopping on this station as I tune my radio anymore, as I seldom hear anything remotely interesting (and, no, hearing "Black Magic Woman" or "Come Sail Away" again is NOT interesting). So, now I never hear their advertisers anymore...

Should I send a copy of this note to the station's management?

post #6 of 7 Old 10-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Cavellino View Post

The problem, according to another HD FM station in the Bay Area, is that the HD-2 sub-channels have very little, if any, advertising and are attracting an increasing number of listeners as HD receivers become more popular. The stations are concerned that those HD-2 listeners are hurting their audience numbers on their main channel where they have most of their advertising.

Someone gave you a line of bull. First off, there are few, if any, HD subchannels showing up in the ratings. And, once that does happen, every sales manager in such a situation will be selling the two in combo. And, combo or not, once a sub starts showing in the ratings, you can bet that no-commercials thing will go out the window. There are a ton of advertisers who can't afford mainstream radio rates and they'd jump at the chance to run some cheap spots on a rated subchannel. More likely, however, is that sales will offer "added value" deals that include spots on the sub for a higher rate on the main.

We're already billing a pretty decent penny on our syndicated Hispanic and Psychic Talk channels. It's not a fortune, but it's enough to keep the lights on and pay the people who work there. Not shabby at all.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Stations not offering HD service are going to fade into irrelevance as listeners experience the higher audio quality of HD, but they might not want to offer HD-2.

I highly doubt that suddenly there will be a mass movement to HD radio when the main reason, as far as I know, so many people don't listen to radio right now are the lousy play lists & insane number of commercials, not the quality of the audio. And I have NEVER heard someone complain about the sound of FM when discussing why they don't like modern radio. Even if a station could transmit a 96/24 PCM stream, personally I would still avoid it if they continued to play the same focus-grouped, "safe" and stale music I hear on 99% of commercial stations.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page