HD Radio Computer Tuner Card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A while back I seem to recall seeing an HD radio tuner card a couple of times. I think one was Griffin Shark and maybe another that mounts right in the desktop tower. I have Googled this, but haven't found what I want. Am I simply a few years to late or didn't any of these come to fruition? I am finding URLs that end up being dead links, etc. Even a USB version might work okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I Recall Correctly, they were planning one but it never actually got produced. I believe the reason was that the music industry was concerned about folks being able to record digital-quality audio off the radio and thus not go and purchase the music.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
We had to promise to talk over the intros before the labels were cool with us airing full albums on HD2 on day of release. Just for that reason.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I thought the labels nixed any idea of a station airing an entire album long ago. I once had an FM recording of Pink Floyd's The Wall. It was years later before I actually bought the record. A local station broadcast the whole double album from beginning to end including the naughty words with no commercials.

A few years later when they released The Final Cut, the station said the label would not allow them to play certain songs from the album.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

What the labels don't want is stations playing anything other than "released" singles. Playing something else takes the focus off of their sales goals. And, frankly, unless the album track is phenomenal, it's counter-productive ratings-wise.

Putting the whole album on the subchannel, along with interview clips and other chat down the back and up the intro doesn't bother them. In fact, that's about the only demand they make as it leaves anyone who's recording the thing with a less-than-clean copy. The reactions we've had so far (and this is not something we do regularly, though we keep meaning to) have been positive in that it's an hour of free promotion of a brand new album. A lot of labels are doing the same thing on websites where they "preview" a different track leading up to the release date.

post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Of course 1980 was a different time. Labels were pushing hard for tape levies because they were supposedly losing billions of dollars to bad people copying other people's records.

The less-than-clean recordings were actually prime bootleg material back then. Frank Zappa (probably the most anti-pirating artist ever) would often promote his new records with interviews at radio stations and these were bootlegged as unique versions of the studio releases. There is one classic bootleg where the record started skipping over one of his songs. As it played the same two seconds over and over Zappa and the DJ talked over it trying to decide if they should fix it or if it was some kind of "serendipitous event" that shouldn't be toyed with.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

What the labels don't want is stations playing anything other than "released" singles. Playing something else takes the focus off of their sales goals. And, frankly, unless the album track is phenomenal, it's counter-productive ratings-wise.

Yep, playing deep album cuts and whole albums in the 70's and 80's really ruined the record and radio industries. I mean look how poor sales and ratings and profits were back then. Today's innovative record company and radio industry executives have really turned things around!

Although I will agree with you on most non-singles on albums suck. Since, IMO, the majority of albums are released with only a couple of good songs (on purpose) in the first place.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

I personally think the fact that songs are available cheap and easy to get negates any worry about people recording from the radio and distributing on the 'net. Who wants to take that kind of time when you can tag it and download it and it's just $1?

Though, in their defense, I've grabbed and loaded a lot of unreleased live recordings onto our HD2. To me, hearing the same-old-same-old gets boring, but to hear a different, live version of a chart hit is refreshing. We get a lot of "where can I get that?" emails, too, which tells me I'm on track. I can see my hand getting slapped if those ever got into the wild.

Back to recording devices. FWIW, I frequently jack my BA Recepter into the computer for recording. Results are fantastic. Granted, it's an analog connection, but, to my ears, the end result is usually better than a consumer-grade mp3.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I used to work as a dj in Minot,ND while going to college. KBQ-100, an AOR station (while it lasted).

Anyway, at Midnight, we would play a whole album commercial free. It was great, until the local record stores complained. Oh well, the record stores are no more, but neither is KBQ for that matter, having gone through a handful of owners and a dozen, or so formats in the last 20 years.

Since I only worked part time, I only got to play a couple "midnight albums", the last one being Storm Front by Billy Joel.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

On Sundays, KSHE in St. Louis, MO will still play entire albums in the evening. They do stop halfway through for commercials.

They have been doing this since I was a kid. I recorded Pyromania that way (until I bought it).

As for a HD radio tuner for PC, I haven't found one. I think there was the Radio Shark, a USB tuner. If I remember, it didn't work very well (poor sensitivity). It would be nice for my 7MC setup, along with time shifting radio scheduling (ala the now defunct 'red button').
post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 AM

I saw this on the net...not sure where one can buy it. AudioScience ASI8914, quad HD tuner PCI card:
http://www.audioscience.com/internet...ds/asi8914.htm

And then there is this, which people who build car PC's use. A USB controlled HD radio tuner:
http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Boomz..._p/com-109.htm

Media Player Comparison Grid (work in progress):
http://mediaplayers.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page
post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

You do have to admit though that back then there were albums where tracks tended to blend to the point where it felt like one piece.

I highly doubt most stations would bother playing say...Rush's 2112 for that very reason.

On one station (wbos) they actually played a live concert (live as in actually live not a live recording) that lasted I think six hours as a benefit for a charity. It was pretty damn unique.

Reminds me apparently something interesting brewed up in RI. Classic mix with a college station on the hd 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJMF_(FM)

It would be interesting to broadcast college stations as hd2's because of their content,general lack of transmitter power and that many of them are so close to each other (88-92ish mhz) that sometimes you might get one and not the other.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page