Poor Mans Computer HD Radio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since a good selection of HD Radios is getting sort of scarce, I am considering just getting another Best Buy Insignia Portable HD Radio Player, running a patch cord from the headphone jack of the portable to the line in or microphone jack of the computer and connecting to the USB port for power. I am just curious if anybody here is doing this and, if so, how well it works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Sony XDR-F1HD is connected to my amp, and my computer is connected to my amp as Tape 2, so I can play from the computer and record from any source to the computer. It works fine so I don't see why your idea wouldn't work as well, though I highly recommend the line-in over the microphone input.

It is certainly possible to capture very high quality digital recordings (from the XDR-F1HD converted-to-analog source), but it is a bit of a hassle to separate into individual songs from my experience. I listen to a lot of music in my car so when I record from HD radio I do so to old school cassette tapes (Tape 1). The results are surprisingly good, with the purity of the HD radio audio making the tapes of very wide dynamic range and low distortion.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jim-

If you do set up your Insignia this way, you may have problems with reception, because the radio uses the headphone cable as the FM antenna. Replacing it with an audio line cable to the computer means the antenna "input" will be grounded. A possible solution may be some type of Y-adapter to the radio's audio output, with a loose cable connected to the second jack on the adapter.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page