Any FM using higher HD-2 bitrate than HD-1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posed this question not knowing if this has been done. I do know that with even some modestly accurate speakers, you can hear the crunchy metallic overtones of high frequency detail on many a battered under cut secondary channel, when great attention is placed upon the primary HD-1 channel audio.
I figure that if a station had really prided itself on presenting it's secondary service with great clarity, in other words if a format really required great digital texture, that a station could back off the bandwidth on their primary HD-1 and donate it to their HD-2 and use smart limiting on their analog FM for their primary to provide "retroactive" sonic quality like great FM audio of days gone past. I wonder if in some engineering circles if the request for this option was even thought of for a fleeting moment with a live in house alternative programer using HD radio but taking pride in all factors of digital delivery , very seriously.

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It usually takes a significant amount of bits to make a noticeable improvement in sound quality. When the Entercom stations shuffled their HD-2 stations around, it turned out that one station ended up getting another 8 Kbps. I couldn't tell the difference.

When our very last 96 Kbps station here decided to get an HD-2 (another pointless simulcast of another FM station) and chop their bitrate in half, the difference was depressing. I used to tune into the station and marvel at how much better digital sounded when it faded in over analog. Now I hardly hear any difference.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
on Steel City Media's (WLTJ-WRRK Pittsburgh) HD's I have HD-2,3 & 4

I have them at 32kbps for HD 1,2 & 3 and 24 kbps for my HD4
HD-1 = 32kbps
HD-2 = 32kbps
HD-3 = 32kpbs
HD-4 = 24kbps

I have lots of HD listeners and I really worked on the processing to remove any flange or other artifacts in the audio and I am pleased with the results.
all HD's are running music and my HD-4 sounds just as good as the selective high bit rate channels on satellite radio, say Sixty's on 6 or classic rewind

I went ahead and created http://bobhd.com as a 32kbps stream, so you can actually hear what my 32 kbps sounds like.
there is no special audio player needed my engine uses your web browser defaults
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page