Antenna Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Been a LONG time. And please forgive me if this should be in a different forum, and I will re-post in that forum...as I'm only looking for analog radio antenna. That being said, if there is an antenna that does pick up HDRadio as well, I would be open to that if it was cheap enough...for when I upgrade my receiver to HDRadio in the next year or two.

I have an old Onkyo SR601 receiver and the cheap FM antenna has only worked well I think in one location I've lived in. We just got an entertainment system with TV mount, so I hoped that wrapping it through/around the metal would help...no luck. We live 20-30 miles from the 3 stations we listen to, but because of the lack of reception we just use Comcast music channels.

I'm surprised Monoprice doesn't have an antenna, I've even asked them about it and they said they would forward the request. I'm not really willing to put anything on the roof, the stereo isn't too far from a window (which I rather not do either, but would depending on size and what would be required).

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 32
Any good quality AM/FM antenna will work. There is no such thing as a HD Radio Antenna, just like there is no such thing as an HDTV antenna. It is all about marketing. If you have a UHF/VHF/FM antenna already, it will work fine.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

N/S!! Wow, always thought you needed a HDTV antenna for OTA. Gotta love marketing!

So will any of these Monoprice antenna's work even though they say for TV? Or would you recommend a particular brand/model/retailer? I know Radio Shack has them but everything they have is overpriced. I think my mother might have an unused antenna.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Liked: 32
It could, but you will not know until you hook it up. This is a better FM antenna, and has been around for a long time. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rName=Category
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi,

I believe you are looking for an indoor FM antenna. You may want to check out the following ones as they do a solid job, simple yet effective.

Do a Google search for FM DX Antenna Co and go through the products to the indoor reception antennas.

Sorry I could not link the products, but I'm a lurker and don't post often unfortunately and I have to have 3 posts to include a link.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Lake DeLoach
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The best indoor antenna for FM radio that has worked good for me is the basic VHF rabbit ears from Radioshack. They also work best for HD radio. About $10. Not the version with the UHF loop, just the plain old rabbit ears. And avoid amplified antennas. Also, the Terk TV1 is a good version if still available online somewhere. For a better attic or outside antenna, look at Winegard 6010, 6000, or Antennacraft FM6.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrigg View Post

N/S!! Wow, always thought you needed a HDTV antenna for OTA. Gotta love marketing!

Don't blame it all on marketing. Some of the volunteers who manned the phones for television stations during the analog shutdown also believed HDTV required a new antenna and passed the false information onto confused callers. The lack of training they received shocked a lot of people.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
And it would also help if more stations would increase the power level of their HDRadio signal as allowed by the FCC a few years ago.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I also live 20 - 30 miles away from radio stations in the Boston area and finally broke down and purchased a Wingard HD6010 and installed it in my attic and then ran a coax cable to my receiver with a 75/300 ohm converter - it works great now - I got rid of all the prior expensive FM antenna and booster kits that did almost nothing. Cost approx $45 with stand

Dan

My set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One of our forum members has everything that you need to know about FM antennas:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/index.html

Kevin
post #11 of 11 Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM

Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page