Has Bose ever considered HD radio implimentation in their products? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings to all marketing insiders as well as other HD radio enthusiasts. I don't know if I fell asleep under a rock for the past 5 years or so, but has Bose, the maker of those cute dandy and refreshingly PUNCHY wave radios, ever even toyed with the possibility of retooling their FM tuner at least for HD? I realize that AM is a nightmare to decode and wouldn't wish that upon anyone to have to implement but, what if is was an FM only proposal. Maybe they decided during the height of the 24 hour HD AM "intergalactic sideband adjacent channel massacre of 2007", they didn't want any associated marketing defamation to take place. Just thinking out loud but I want to know if Bose ever seriously gave it thought or not with any of their products, if they snared at it, wanting it to go away like some preadolescence phase of having a crush on the "bay boy" in the neighborhood. Or, did they secretly beta attempt a prototype but couldn't cram the already crowded circuit board real estate with anything else deemed viable and reliable. I would die for that back story to be told.

"Backwards compatibility": It saved your B/W TV until you got tired of it; "It" could save our Constitution until we get tired of FREEDOM as we've come to know it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have been considering one of those pricey Wave radios for several years, as they sound very good. But Iv'e been waiting to see if they would ever upgrade and add an HD Radio tuner. Very good question.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Bose has said in the past that they will not adopt HD Radio simply because of overhead involved and they thought the quality of the audio would diminish their product. (which, on both counts, they're right)
post #4 of 7 Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post

Bose has said in the past that they will not adopt HD Radio simply because of overhead involved and they thought the quality of the audio would diminish their product. (which, on both counts, they're right)

Citation or Link?
Reason I ask is because my contact at Bose highly doubts the authenticity of this quote. But he's checking.

While they won't discuss anything that's in development with me, suffice it to say that Bose has historically not been on the cutting edge with their table radio products. Rather, they've been content to wait for widespread adoption of new technologies before working them into their products, much as they did with CDs and iPod docks.

I don't expect to see anything from them anytime soon. I generally fall back to Dr Don's Rule of Technology: "Companies are more likely to adopt new technology when it's either economically advantageous to do so or economically disadvantageous not to."

For Bose, neither half of that rule holds true at the moment.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM

It is all BS, they don't have it simply because they do not want to pay the license fees for their already over priced products, funny ain't it? But it Is true, if hd radio licence fees were cheaper all radios would have it now.

Call the owner, Joseph D'Angelo iBiquity Digital Corporation, E-mail: dangelo@ibiquity.com, Phone: 443-539-4353, and bitch to him, the only way things will change....

This kind of pisses me off, if I want a home theater system set up with hd radio, I have to spent thousands of dollars...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have never been a fan of the Bose speaker line but for a portable device I would consider that and I do enjoy the HD radio in my area, so I hope they give it a try.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 01:59 PM

Send comments to both Bose and ibiquity, I have but never heard anything back from ibiquity, ever, Bose did but say they don't comment on product development. Any time write to a product manufacturer I state that I will no longer will purchase any product with a radio in it, if it does not contain hd radio from this day forward.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page