Are there any 3rd party HD radio tuners (external) that can be used with Yamaha A/V Receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a Yamaha RX-A820 (does not include a HD radio built-in tuner). I simply could not afford to double or triple my cost in an a/v receiver, just to get a built-in HD radio tuner. I would consider adding on an external HD radio tuner for FM radio for this a/v receiver. Does anyone have any knowledge on external HD radio tuners that are compatible with my particular a/v receiver? Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
There's this: http://www.amazon.com/Insignia-NS-HDTUNE-Radio-radio-tuner/sim/B002RJNIVA/2

I had one, but it had a whine. Took it back. I use one of my Visteons with a home dock, now.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was not impressed with the Insignia home tuner either. Sound was too harsh out of the digital output, and sensitivity had much to be desired. The Sangean HDT-1X has better sound, much better sensitivity, and very good durability:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R8KVJ0

Too bad they don't make this (or even the Insignia home tuners) any more.
Unless your manufacturer makes a plug in module compatible with your receiver,
you are most likely left with the RCA jack from an HD table radio.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I appreciate the replies. It's too bad that they've discontinued the Sangean HDT-1X. Perhaps, I could find it on Ebay or elsewhere.

I did check with both the manufacturer, Yamaha, as well as Crutchfield. Neither one of them had any HD tuners compatible with my A/V receiver. In fact, the rep at Yamaha seemed surprised that I would even ask such a question. I am beginning to conclude that there is very little demand for these tuners.

Perhaps, the easiest way of doing it is hooking up a car model, such as the Visteon. It's too bad this technology has not been promoted in home theatre systems. And to get an A/V receiver with a built-in tuner costs a fortune, just for this one extra feature.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
You could blame the chicken-and-egg approach, but the fact is, aside from waking up, people just don't listen to radio as home entertainment. We see it in the ratings. 6pm, BAM. Down goes sets-in-use. For us, the battleground is the car. Still the bastion of radio listenership. And it's the place HD needs to be (and is getting there).

Home HD Radio will be a factor once Bose adds it to their wave radio.

When you think about it, even satellite availability in a home receiver is thin. Ditto table radios. It's all about the car, baby.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The Sangean and Sony HD Radio tuners were the best options out there. Also were good analog tuners. And RadioShack and Insignia had similar versions to the Sangean, but perhaps not quite as good sensitivity. Or if you can still find a Sony, Sangean, or Accurian tabletop radio out there somewhere, they can be connected to a separate receiver with 3.5mm or RCA audio cables.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

You could blame the chicken-and-egg approach, but the fact is, aside from waking up, people just don't listen to radio as home entertainment. We see it in the ratings. 6pm, BAM. Down goes sets-in-use. For us, the battleground is the car. Still the bastion of radio listenership. And it's the place HD needs to be (and is getting there).

Home HD Radio will be a factor once Bose adds it to their wave radio.

When you think about it, even satellite availability in a home receiver is thin. Ditto table radios. It's all about the car, baby.

In England, almost everyone has a digital FM table radio. The audio quality is wonderful, as is the variety of stations.
Reply HD Radio