Sangean HDR-1 Tabletop radio - No Power... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I purchased a new but never used Sangean HDR-1 radio off of Ebay recently. I really like the radio. Initially, the radio played fine for 5 minutes and I turned it off. Within 5 minutes thereafter, I looked at the radio and the display and STANDBY lights were off, like the cord was unplugged. I checked the cord on both ends and they were secure. Upon checking the cord on the back of the radio, I could smell a burning odor and the back of the radio was warm, right behind the transformer. I've read on the internet that some of these radios have bad transformers...

So, I'm looking at my options:
1. Can anyone direct me to a schematic I can download for the radio?
2. I called Sangean, and since the radio is EOL, they don't have parts. Where can I get a transformer?
3. Any other ideas? I really want to revive the radio.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Find a hobbyist or ham radio enthusiast. If it's something as simple as a fuse on the circuit board, a blown transformer or some bad caps, some of those guys will fiddle with it for a six pack. If it's beyond the power supply, then it's probably on a chip and you have a brick.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here's an update:

Sangean said that since the radio is EOL (End Of Life), they no longer repair it or have parts to repair it, which is disappointing. The radio is only 5 years old! They recommended a place on the web called radiolabs.com for the repair, but after checking with them, they don't repair this Sangean model! Anyway, I was able to obtain a PDF schematic and have the problem narrowed down to the transformer in the power supply. The good news is I got lucky and found a source for the part(s)...

The radio is basically in two main sections:
- The front part which contains all the controls, display, speakers, and logic.
- The back part is the power supply and speaker amplifier area.
Cables connect the front and back sections together...

My source is selling me the entire back part (with cables) for $50 which includes shipping and a 90 day warranty. This should make for a quick and easy repair. I know this is overkill and a transformer should be under $10, but at this point I'm just glad I was able to locate the part. The part should arrive next week...

One last point -
This radio has an annoying "feature" that if power is lost the clock and all the presets need to be reset again. There is no battery backup feature in the radio. Is there an inexpensive way (trick) to retain settings through a brown out or do I have to invest in a UPS or battery backup power strip?

More to come...
post #4 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'd get a small UPS just so whatever power issues you have don't cause you to have to do this all over again. I have a half-dozen UPS devices running computers, DVRs, STBs, cable modems and signal amplifiers.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the fully assembled back part arrived yesterday and I installed it. The radio is working again. Another broken device saved from the landfill!

I'll try and place a ebay auction for the old broken back part and see if I get any takers...

DrDon, your probably correct. I need some UPS's. Would a cheap battery backup power strip work to retain the memory, or do I need a small UPS (like 500 watts or so) ? The problem with UPS's is that you need to replace the expensive batteries every two years or so. Are there any that are more cost effective over the long run than others?
post #6 of 9 Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmac81 View Post

Well, the fully assembled back part arrived yesterday and I installed it. The radio is working again. Another broken device saved from the landfill!

I'll try and place a ebay auction for the old broken back part and see if I get any takers...

DrDon, your probably correct. I need some UPS's. Would a cheap battery backup power strip work to retain the memory, or do I need a small UPS (like 500 watts or so) ? The problem with UPS's is that you need to replace the expensive batteries every two years or so. Are there any that are more cost effective over the long run than others?
Never dealt with a power strip like you mention. As for a UPS, yeah, you need to change the battery to maintain full capacity. But for just maintaining memory, the thing should work far longer than two years. I have a pair that went 5 years or so before reaching the point that the UPS' alarm telling me the power was off drained the battery completely in ten seconds. smile.gif For purposes such as this, THAT's when I change the battery.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 AM

I could use the old back part off the sangean hdr-1
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Where do you live? I'm in the Chicagoland area. I was thinking of $20 plus $15 for shipping due to it's size. If your in my area, just pick it up locally to save shipping. It will ship in an anti-static bag. Just let me know. If not, I'll just put it out for auction on Ebay, since parts for this radio seem scarce. I have a PayPal account...

Remember, the transformer is BAD. I have no reason to believe any other part of the board needs repair.

Do you have a schematic for it? If not, I can send you one...

Let me know...
post #9 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM

Liked: 11
Good moring,

I just read your post on the Sangen HDR-1 radio.
Please tell me where you got you schematic or could you e-mail me a copy?

My e-mail is wu0f@windstream.net.

Thank you
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page