New Bedford, MA: In antenna hell, difference between analog vs digital HD stations? Using Onkyo UP-HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo TX8050 receiver with an add on UP-HT and I have been going through antenna hell, I have tried like three different FM antennas and not sure I can really tell the difference between them.

I used the FM Fool site to lock in the antenna direction to the main stations I want to get, but having trouble finding out what "digital" stations I should be shooting to lock into. Many of the "analog" stations sound really good and seem to be in my city.

Do all stations have a digital option and I am not getting a strong enough signal?

Whats the difference between stations that lock in via "digital" and those that lock in "analog"?

Lastly is there a site that has a good listing of HD stations? (looking to get providence, my zip is 02745)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Start with www.hdradio.com They do have a list of local stations by city.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks....

Found that site, but it seems to be missing many of the stations I am getting. I was hoping to determine if the station was digital or analog. But getting the impression that their all potentialy digital and Im not just not close enough.

So when HD shows analog, is that any better than standard FM radio? Seems to sound better?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure about your last sentence, but I'll give it a go.

It's going to depend on the broadcaster, actually. Properly done, the difference is as night-and-day as an FM broadcast vs a CD playback (that's an actual CD, not a low-res mp3 rip of one). Given the multiplex nature of analog FM stereo, the separation is what really gets your attention.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Guess what I am curious is what is the difference between the normal FM stereo signal and the HD "analog" signal?

My receiver shows digital or analog depending on the signal strength.

Say I don't have the antenna to get the HD station in "digital" and it reverts to "analog". Is that still better than run of the mill FM stereo? Or is HD analog the same as normal FM radio?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

The HD signal is digital, not analog. When the digital signal strength isn't enough, your radio will fall back to normal analog FM stereo, unless you're listening to one of the station's subchannels, in which case it will just go silent or fall back to the main analog broadcast.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Onkyo TX 8050 is not an HD radio, so not sure what the FM digital is you are referring to? The only HD receiver in that price range I know of is Sherwood. The bigger brand name receivers that have HD start at over $1000.00. If you want state of the art FM sound, the best choice is the Sony XDR-F1HD. Analog FM has never sounded better!! The bad news, it's discontinued, but you can still find the Sony & it's XDR siblings on Ebay.

HD radio sounds pretty much about the same on most HD radios & is mostly dependent on what the station is putting out. It can vary quite a bit from very good to a bad Mp3 sound.

Oops, I see you have an add on HD adapter.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Onkyo sells and I have an HD Radio, the UP-HT1 add on that attaches through a special port to the newer onkyo receiver. It has been discontinued. That is the unit I have.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do any of the HD 2 stations on 93.3, 94.1 or 101.5 appear when you tune in? What antenna(s) have you tried?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Do any of the HD 2 stations on 93.3, 94.1 or 101.5 appear when you tune in? What antenna(s) have you tried?

Yes...

I get 2 channels on 93.3 and 94.1if I have the right antenna and splitter combination. Only one channel on 101.5, it sounds great, but that one does not come in digitally.
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page