Charlotte, NC - HD Reception Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I have been getting better reception of 107.9 the Link in the car the past few weeks. Don't know if they tweaked something, but much less interference riding around town in Greenville, SC. And comes in clear at the house with just rabbit ears. Including HD Radio version. And 95.1 and 96.1 come in good as well. But 95.1 has still postponed plans to add an HD Radio signal, although their main signal remains strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And since these radio stations share the Dallas TV towers, I was wondering if the TV stations still own these towers or are they operated by another company?
post #3 of 78 Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I have been getting better reception of 107.9 the Link in the car the past few weeks. Don't know if they tweaked something, but much less interference riding around town in Greenville, SC. And comes in clear at the house with just rabbit ears. Including HD Radio version. And 95.1 and 96.1 come in good as well. But 95.1 has still postponed plans to add an HD Radio signal, although their main signal remains strong.

You may notice WBT on WLNK's HD-2. Think it was turned up today.

t123
post #4 of 78 Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post

t123

Thanks for the heads up...I get the 99.3 version of WBT clearly at my location, but the WLNK signal is much stronger. I just ordered a home HD Radio tuner today. I've had one in the car for several years, but rarely used it because I had Siriux XM. I mostly listened to it on the weekends, picking up out of area College & NFL games from the Westwood One feeds. The price has steadily climbed though, so I gave it the axe. While reading some stuff on HD Radio I was surprised to find that both of the AM sports stations in Charlotte- WFNZ 660 AM, and WBCN 1660 are simulcast as HD3 feeds on their sister FM stations. I was able to clearly pick up the HD feed of WFNZ in my car, but I'm afraid WBCN (on 104.7 HD3) will be more difficult as it is a weaker signal for me.

When my HD radio gets here it should give me clear feeds for most of Westwood One's NFL coverage though, plus access to Clemson, NC State, UNC & now Bobcats games as I ride around. I doubt I'll miss Sirius now.
post #5 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

t123
Hope they keep it on this time. So maybe they have indeed done some antenna work lately for WLNK, I don't know. But 8 years ago they changed their omnidirectional stick antenna to a side mounted directional, which has a null to the west of Charlotte. Used to be a very strong signal, but now more spotty towards Greenville-Spartanburg. But has improved recently, and I lock onto the HD version easily at the house.
post #6 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post

Thanks for the heads up...I get the 99.3 version of WBT clearly at my location, but the WLNK signal is much stronger. I just ordered a home HD Radio tuner today. I've had one in the car for several years, but rarely used it because I had Siriux XM. I mostly listened to it on the weekends, picking up out of area College & NFL games from the Westwood One feeds. The price has steadily climbed though, so I gave it the axe. While reading some stuff on HD Radio I was surprised to find that both of the AM sports stations in Charlotte- WFNZ 660 AM, and WBCN 1660 are simulcast as HD3 feeds on their sister FM stations. I was able to clearly pick up the HD feed of WFNZ in my car, but I'm afraid WBCN (on 104.7 HD3) will be more difficult as it is a weaker signal for me.

When my HD radio gets here it should give me clear feeds for most of Westwood One's NFL coverage though, plus access to Clemson, NC State, UNC & now Bobcats games as I ride around. I doubt I'll miss Sirius now.
What type of HD Radio tuner did you order and where did you purchase? They have been hard to find recently. I have a Sony HD Radio tuner hooked into a part of Logitech 2.1 computer speakers and it sounds great.
post #7 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've got a new car with one of these radios in it. I guess I should try it out before I decide to subscribe to Sirius after my free time runs out this month. Is there a better selection than whats on analog FM?
post #8 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

I've got a new car with one of these radios in it. I guess I should try it out before I decide to subscribe to Sirius after my free time runs out this month. Is there a better selection than whats on analog FM?
The sound quality can be better, but the content of the subchannels can vary.
post #9 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just bought a cheap Insignia table top model that had great reviews, external antenna hookup, etc as a test unit. If it works out well I'll invest in a more expensive unit later.

Here is a list of all the stations in Charlotte, you can change the filtering at the top to encompass other areas.
post #10 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

^Thanks Mr. I didn't know there were so many channels.
post #11 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Contrary to that list, I don't think there are any AM stations in Charlotte broadcasting an HD Radio signal. WBT tried it but did not continue. For some reason HD Radio has not as worked well on AM. Although 700 WLW in Cincinnati has a good digital signal.
post #12 of 78 Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have found HD radio to be HIGHLY variable from station to station and market to market. Some stations sound truly awful and others sound absolutely amazing. Most are perfectly in-sync with the analog - but some aren't. I have found that it takes some graphic equalizer adjustment and getting used to. Overall, I do like it.

100.3 has always, to me, sounded the best on HD1 and HD2 in the Triad. This has continued through the unnecessary swap of the 100.3 and 105.7 signals. They did not actually swap them - 105.7 now is what used to be on 100.3 HD2. What used to be on 100.3 (the Modern Rock 100.3 the Buzz) lives on 100.3 HD2 now, still called 100.3 The Buzz.. With 620 The Buzz from Durham, there are three different stations receivable here called The Buzz. The other stations are pretty good, 93.1 The Wolf sounding very "tinny" and "digitally" recently being an exception. Their oldies HD2 sounds awful, too.

The last time I was in Charlotte, I recall the quality to be pretty good. I hope the 90s Alternative station on 106.5 is still there. I liked that station and the audio quality was decent for HD2.
post #13 of 78 Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info so I will check it out. I probably won't keep Sirius when the freebie runs out. It's not nearly as good as it was before they merged with XM. It's real generic now. I've discovered that broadband works in the car so I can easier listen to what I want via Grooveshark, Slacker, and others through the phone connected to the stereo. Reminds me of what broadband is doing to traditional cable/satellite TV.
post #14 of 78 Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Contrary to that list, I don't think there are any AM stations in Charlotte broadcasting an HD Radio signal. WBT tried it but did not continue. For some reason HD Radio has not as worked well on AM. Although 700 WLW in Cincinnati has a good digital signal.

I am pretty sure CBS still runs their two AMs in HD. I don't have a radio in my car anymore so I can't say for sure. I understand that GHB turned the HD off on 1240. I would assume they turned off 1270 too.

WBT has the gear to run HD on both their main Nautel and backup Harris transmitters but has decided not to use it.

I do believe IBOC on AM causes more problems than it solves.

hh
post #15 of 78 Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The audio quality on Channel 96.1 is very good, especially the HD version. But they still need to increase power on HD Radio because they don't quite stay locked in past 50 miles in the car. But I can get them fine with rabbit ears in the house.
post #16 of 78 Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Very few of the HD radio stations lock enough to listen to HD2 in Burlington. It drops over every little elevation change. Only 100.3 and 99.5's HD2 lock consistently, but a few others are strong enough if you don't mind a few drops. 50 miles of HD radio would be nice! No HD AM here. One of the Richmond VA stations is HD, I noticed while searching for football coverage a few weeks ago, but only for a small area of its analog coverage.

In southern Alamance County, and toward Asheboro, you can get the Greensboro, Raleigh, some Charlotte, and a few of the Roanoke stations to lock HD in certain spots. Just don't move your car once you find a sweet spot. It's quite nice. The same is true for TV, should such things interest you.
post #17 of 78 Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And another thing. An amp will zap an HD Radio signal. I have tried both a preamp and a distribution amp in the house. They will strengthen the bars on analog FM stations, but the blinking HD symbol will disappear rather than lock in. Just regular rabbit ears work best, unless you upgrade to a dedicated FM antenna from Winegard or Antennacraft.
post #18 of 78 Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And another thing. An amp will zap an HD Radio signal. I have tried both a preamp and a distribution amp in the house. They will strengthen the bars on analog FM stations, but the blinking HD symbol will disappear rather than lock in. Just regular rabbit ears work best, unless you upgrade to a dedicated FM antenna from Winegard or Antennacraft.

I have never used HD radio inside, only in the car. It's rather disappointing in the car, especially when local broadcasters refuse to respond to emails about audio quality and HD/analog sync... Do people who run radio/TV stations even watch TV or listen to radio? It baffles my mind that forums like this need to exist, you'd think they'd be on top of it.
post #19 of 78 Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

I have never used HD radio inside, only in the car. It's rather disappointing in the car, especially when local broadcasters refuse to respond to emails about audio quality and HD/analog sync... Do people who run radio/TV stations even watch TV or listen to radio? It baffles my mind that forums like this need to exist, you'd think they'd be on top of it.
Some stations need to work more on the audio sync and sound quality, but others do it right and sound very good. But overall HD Radio needs more power to better replicate the analog coverage area. At my location, the Charlotte HD2 signals drop out in the car, but I can maintain them in the house.
post #20 of 78 Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Some stations need to work more on the audio sync and sound quality, but others do it right and sound very good. But overall HD Radio needs more power to better replicate the analog coverage area. At my location, the Charlotte HD2 signals drop out in the car, but I can maintain them in the house.

This is very true. Many of the local stations are great sounding and nearly are in sync. I personally emailed several of them and most have listened. It took a while to get the graphic equalizer set so that both HD and analog stations sound good, but I am happy now with it and am pleased with the sound of many HD1 and even a couple of the HD2 stations quality. A few of the stations locally are starting to put album info on the display in addition to just artist and title.

I agree that the coverage area needs to improve to better serve the same area as the analog, but I don't think that enough people care to make it something that will happen soon.
post #21 of 78 Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Overall in Charlotte, the Clear Channel radio stations sound the best in terms of audio quality.
post #22 of 78 Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

There are radio stations that are NOT i HeartClearChannel? I am only half joking. Generally, you're 100% spot on, although one of the CC stations here is out of sync and they seemingly don't care. WRAL-FM gets out of sync nearly every weekend but it's usually fixed by Monday morning, but that's not CC.
post #23 of 78 Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

You may notice WBT on WLNK's HD-2. Think it was turned up today. t123

Yes, nice addition HH..much better here than 99.3. Of course.. wifey was unaware this was done...guess the shop next door is a bit far for news to travel...smile.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #24 of 78 Old 02-09-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WBT also has an HD Radio signal on 99.3. It seems to lock in good just west of Gastonia and into Gaffney. Then it will start dropping out in Spartanburg, but the analog is still received. Then it starts breaking up into Greenville. But I can get it in the house with rabbit ears, including the HD version. But you have to tweak the dipoles because there is another station down in Georgia on the same frequency that begins to interfere.
post #25 of 78 Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WLNK (107.9 the Link) HD Radio signal has been down since last week, and the analog signal appears to be at reduced power. Some static in the car. Perhaps weather related due to the snow and ice, not sure. But no digital signal at the moment.
post #26 of 78 Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:

WLNK (107.9 the Link) HD Radio signal has been down since last week, and the analog signal appears to be at reduced power. Some static in the car. Perhaps weather related due to the snow and ice, not sure. But no digital signal at the moment.

I understand that ice came off the tower and fell between the tower and the ice bridge and crushed a feed line. He maybe on the backup transmitter at Spencer Mt.

hh
post #27 of 78 Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've been out there when ice is coming down. Not a good place to be.eek.gif

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #28 of 78 Old 02-18-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand that ice came off the tower and fell between the tower and the ice bridge and crushed a feed line. He maybe on the backup transmitter at Spencer Mt.

hh
Well my guess was correct. Wonder how long it will take to get it repaired? And does WBTV still have a backup transmitter on Spencer Mtn. also?
post #29 of 78 Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM

I know they are working on it but don't know how long it will take. I am not sure if WBTV has a backup at Spencer or not. I don't think they do. I know National Weather is there and some two-way stuff.

hh
post #30 of 78 Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It appears the 107.9 HD Radio signal was repaired sometime Wednesday. And the analog signal seems to be back at full power.
Reply HD Radio