Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HD Radio With Wifi Connection

I realize that HD Radio has a dismal future, but I had an interesting thought this evening. I just picked up an Audiovox Mobile TV Receiver With Dyle Mobile TV Model WiDTV1 http://www.dyle.tv/ For $30 on Ebay I figured it was worth it to me. Anyway Mobile DTV has some of the same problems that HD radio has had. Not many people in the general public are aware of it and not much in the way of equipment is available.

The Audiovox essentially acts as a very low powered repeater. It receives the ATSC-M/H signals and then sends them out via wifi. That allows the receiver to be placed in a location of optimum reception. It could be near a window, etc. Could that design work for regular FM broadcast radio or HD radio? Sure, many people work in offices on desktop computers and can tune in via the web. However, there are still some people that like to listen to local content. HD radio and regular FM broadcast can provide that. I am thinking that if a Mobile DTV receiver can be built at a reasonable price, why not an FM/HD radio? It might be quite handy for people wanting to listen to content on their smartphones without using data! I do realize that the likelihood of something like this happening is slim to none, but sometimes it is fun to think out loud!
Reply HD Radio