HD channels in Minneapolis, MN - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD channels in Minneapolis, MN

Not sure if there is a seperate thread for Minneapolis HD or not but I didn't find it so here goes.

I recently got a used Sangean HDT-1X and while I am able to get a few HD channels I am unable to get 99.5 (Classical) and 97.1 (Cities97). What could be the reason for that ? I live in a southwest suburb. Does anyone else in the area get these channels on HD ?
I am able to get 89.3 and 91.1 which are sister stations of 99.5. The lowest hd signal strength I get is in 107.9 (cool108). I have tried an indoor ribbon dipole antenna but no luck.
If these channels do exist and people are able to receive it then could it be that they are broadcasting in a format that the radio does not support ?
Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

strange thing happened..just to see if I can get any benefit from the TV antenna in the attic I plugged the coax of the tv antenna in the radio. I picked up all the stations I was expecting which is not the surprising part. What happened next has left me scratching my head till now. Then I removed the tv antenna and plugged in the "wire" antenna that I used before and voila I still get the same stations with practically no difference in signal strength. Its as if plugging in the tv antenna made the radio flip a switch. The only difference is that the tv antenna had a proper RF F-type connector and the wire antenna has just a plug that looks like an f-type but its really not, its more like a rca type but fits perfectly in the radio antenna socket.
Could it be that there may have been some problem in the radio's antenna socket and inserting the coax somehow fixed it ?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Possibly you did not have a secure connection the first time you hooked up the indoor antenna. As overall the Sangean has a good tuner. And good luck you had finding one of those tuners as they are now hard to come by. But one thing you may consider for better reception. Get a good splitter and connect the better TV antenna to both the TV and the HD Radio tuner. You should get stronger radio reception and more signals that way. The indoor antennas are likely not as good, especially for distant stations.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

That is what I was going to do as well but funny thing is the indoor wire antenna is as good or even better on some stations than the tv antenna in the attic. and that is based on the CNR readout on the radio. The tv antenna is actually just a single element dipole (diy 12" each side) and works pretty good on vhf and uhf. Perhaps it does not have any gain on fm or perhaps it has severe impedance mismatch or high swr on fm band.
The indoor antenna is the fm antenna that came with my HK 3490 receiver.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HD Channels In Minneapolis, MN

It is great to see a fellow Minnesotan discussing HD radio. I really don't use mine much anymore. I did enjoy the comedy format several years back. I think it was on 93.7-2. Unfortunately, towards the end before they changed formats, they seemed to have the same comedy loop that played over and over!
Reply HD Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page