FM Antenna Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
FM Antenna Advice

I'm not sure where to post this so I'm starting here, HD Radio seemed to be the closest fit.

I've got four Russound MCA-C3s and I'm using the built-in FM tuners. I'm trying to decrease or eliminate static on 107.9. The house is three stories with attic space on both the second (attic over the first floor) and third floors (attic over the second floor) and a small space (~2') above the third floor. The system was installed with a half wave whip antenna mounted horizontally in the second floor attic space pointed NE. I've attached the info from a report I ran at fmfool.com

I don't know much about FM, but I've been doing a lot of googling so now I know less then I did before I started

I've tried adding a 10 dB amplifier before the MCA-C3s with no change. I'm considering any or all of the following:

a) orienting the existing antenna vertically
b) moving the antenna up one floor to the third floor attic space
c) adding a second directional antenna pointed in the direction of of the 107.9 transmitter (I'm not sure how effective this would be since the fmfool data says the path for this channel is 2edge)
d) adding an external receiver and using it instead of the built in tuners.
e) replacing the existing antenna with a better antenna
f) something else I haven't considered yet...

One thing I read said that a half wave antenna is designed to have the other half of the wave reflected off the ground plane (like the hood of a car) since this antenna is mounted to a 2x4 roof support I assume there's no ground plane, but I'm not sure what that means.

Any help and further eduction is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-FM.png
Views:	24
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	395450  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Perhaps the static is due to 2 Edge reception at 70 miles. But I am not sure how they determine 2 Edge as opposed to Line of Site. Or possibly the static is due to interference from 107.9 signals from Charlotte or Myrtle Beach if you are in a neighboring region. Now if WNCT has an HD Radio signal, if you can lock onto that, it would eliminate the static. But that would require a good HD Radio tuner such as the Sony. I get 107.9 from Charlotte at 70 miles with a Winegard 6000 antenna in the attic, both analog and HD. And A good low noise amp is the Kitztech 100 with adjustable gain. But you don't want to overboost the signal as it will add more noise and static. So you may need to pace the amp after about 12 to 15 feet of cable or turn down the gain. Also MCM and Antennas Direct sell FM antennas you may look at, and there are 2 models from Antennacraft. The larger gain is the FM6.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Apparently WNCT 107.9 does not have an HD Radio signal anymore. So forget that idea.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs up DTV Antenna

I had put up an antenna on my roof for local DTV stations and I added a splitter
and connected it to my Yamaha hd radio receiver and I get excellent reception.

JohnnyJT
Reply HD Radio