Detroit AM to return to HD - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Detroit AM to return to HD

I have it on good authority that 910 WFDF - Now a religious station since the Disney sale - will return to digital broadcasting, though I have no idea when. EDIT: It's up as of 5/1

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 05-01-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Doc,

I can only get 950 and 1270 in HD, is 1130 in HD? I have not seen them light up my HD light in 2+ years and they have 50K day to cover me in Westland

Did 1200 drop HD, now that their programming is on FM via translator/sub-channel?

In Westland I still have never gotten religious 560 or 1340 to bump into HD mode
post #3 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll have to remember to check next time I'm in the truck with some time to kill. I don't vary much off of our two stations on AM, so I haven't just sat and scanned since I first got the truck. WRDT worked last time I tried. I will say the tuner sensitivity of the GM radio isn't what I had with the Visteon sidecar device. I could get that bad boy to give an HD lock on to KMOX, St Louis and WTVN Columbus, OH pre-sunrise.

Can't do much with AM in my office. Waaay too much interference from all the other gadgets . I've debated building a decent loop antenna, but with both WWJ and WXYT-AM available on WXYT-FM subchannels, I haven't found a need beyond DXing. And if I had time to DX, I'd also have time to fool with my ham gear, which sits in a box gathering dust.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

the only AM HD tuner I have is my AVR receiver, and I have to shut my plasma off and I am vey limited with the loop antenna on alignment.

I was in my father's car a while back listening to 1270, we were travelling from downtown Detroit to Grosse Pointe and the HD was constantly bumping in and out was very annoying, and I have a VERY high tolerance for such things like DXing and AM stereo

post #5 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Time of day? 1270 holds well daytime for me, but it's all over the map when they change to night pattern. One look at the night pattern and it's pretty clear why. 9 towers of fun. http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...atus=L&hours=N

post #6 of 18 Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Time of day? 1270 holds well daytime for me, but it's all over the map when they change to night pattern. One look at the night pattern and it's pretty clear why. 9 towers of fun. http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...atus=L&hours=N
4 pm during the summer, i think the taller building and transmission lines were bumping the HD off and on...it was very annoying to the point of wanting to shut it down
post #7 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I take it that 560 is HD day, but not at night?

I had a chance to be in my fathers car around 6 pm last night that has full HD radio (Grosse Pointe Farms)

no HD for 1200 or 1130 at all

560's HD went away when they started their nighttime operations. Now I thought that c-quam stereo stations like CFCO would come in stereo on HD radios, with L and R reversed, I listened for about 5 minutes and that never happened.

even IN GP 1270 wouldn't reliably lock into HD on their night pattern, and neither would 1340, but we were obviously on critical hours.

with both 950 and 1270 available as digital subchannels, i don't see the need for AM HD,

i was not moving, just in a driveway, I bet the constant in and out of HD to analog must be very annoying
post #8 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I did finally get around to testing and got the same results as you. Don't know about WRDT at night. I'd have to remember to check on the way in. (Which is difficult in that I pretty much need to hear everything WWJ has during my 20-minute trek)

Not sure every AM radio has both HD and C-Quam. I know my Visteon did.

HD on AM falls back to analog if the HD doesn't lock. Any issue on WXYT-HD2 and it just goes completely away until it can get a lock or falls back to WXYT-FM (depending on the radio). From what they tell me over at J, a number of listeners have "discovered" the HD on AM, but not a lot of comment on WXYT-HD2. Also, HD on the AM makes the Michigan games sound a whole lot better. Can't get those on the FM sub because WXYT-HD2 remains all news during games, as does the stream.

Last edited by DrDon; 02-09-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Our friend Art said the Michigan FOOTball games go on the -3 subchannel - probably not hoops though

with respect to 560, i am wondering if changing the antenna location from monroe to royal ghetto township changes anything?

I am not saying that the radio is both HD and am stereo, just that i thought i heard before that c-quam signal will actually trip the HD circuitry (with the l and r channels reversed)
or it quite possibly be that HD AM stations can be listened to on an am stereo tuner (again, i distinctly remember that they said the l and r channels are reversed)

edit: check this link out:

http://www.amstereo.org/radios.htm
post #10 of 18 Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I called 1200, their engineer said they shut HD off a year ago and I was the first person to call in asking where it went

during their smooth jazz, it did sound much better in AM HD than on a bit -starved FM HD subchannel.
and their FM translator broadcasts that bit-starved subchannel.

I was at our friend Art's place and he has a boston acoustics table top HD tuner, and when i tuned into CFCO, it was TRYING to get that (non-existent) HD signal, so maybe there is truth about it happening, Novi is kinda far from Chatham ONT...in addition, Art says that Michigan football and basketball are on the 97.1-2 subchannel and streamed as well and that WWJ doesnt do the newscasts during these games so that 5 people can listen on the internet/HD radio....

Last edited by billmich; 03-19-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I called 1200, their engineer said they shut HD off a year ago and I was the first person to call in asking where it went
Not surprising. Nobody EVER calls. They just tune somewhere else. Oldies FM I worked for years ago had the Left and Right flipped... for five years. FINALLY one person called. The program line flip was made before the STL and whomever installed the off-air monitors had accidentally flipped THOSE, so the meters looked fine and the sound was correct in the studio.

When WWJ was in the "old" building, I could distinctly hear reporters taping voicers during the CBS network news. It was REALLY buried, but it was there. Nobody had ever brought that up, before, but after it was fixed, a number of people said, "Yeah, I heard that, too." Again, nobody called.

But, God forbid, I forget to turn off a microphone and my phone lights up like a Christmas tree!

Quote:
Art says that Michigan football and basketball are on the 97.1-2 subchannel and streamed as well and that WWJ doesnt do the newscasts during these games so that 5 people can listen on the internet/HD radio....
That may have changed between the time my Visteon bit the dust and I got my new truck. I know LAST season when the games were on, I'd flip over to 97.1HD2 and the news was still going. I'll ask.

Last edited by DrDon; 02-12-2015 at 08:49 AM.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

1270 LOUD and clear in HD for me last night, obviously not as strong as 950, but it held the HD lock.

Methinks the frigid temps and snow covered ground has a lot to so with that. Although I have eliminated some electronic noise sources by my receiver as well. Many other stations that are "iffy at best" (like 1050-ann arbor) were actually quite solid and clear as well
post #13 of 18 Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

i haven't had 910 trip the HD yet- last check about a week ago, any official word?

I am now staunchly in the anti-HD camp , especially at night :|
post #14 of 18 Old 03-15-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Nothing official. Don't think it'll ever be "official." It'll just be one of those things they "get around to" doing.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope they never do....
post #16 of 18 Old 05-01-2015, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

HD is back up on 910, though the analog delay isn't in, yet, so it "jumps back" a few seconds when it locks in. I'm sure that'll be fixed soon.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

UPDATE: The analog delay is working, now. Sounds just as clean as I remember it from the Disney days, though the television-simulcast program material doesn't have quite the fidelity Radio Disney did.

post #18 of 18 Unread Today, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am very unhappy to hear this............

basically just hash from about 890-980 am at night.

However, unlike the 4 other AM HD stations, this one is NOT carried by a translator or FM subchannel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page