Detroit, MI - HD Reception Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 2554
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
When baseball was predominately on 1-A clears, even skywave reception of AM stereo would provide a very immersive stereo effect ...(back in the day...sigh)
I had a Pioneer AM Stereo. On Friday nights, I'd drive into a rural area just to listen to an hour of WLS. That radio stayed with me in thru 3 different cars. May still have it, somewhere.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I had a Pioneer AM Stereo. On Friday nights, I'd drive into a rural area just to listen to an hour of WLS. That radio stayed with me in thru 3 different cars. May still have it, somewhere.
I always wondered about that HUMM on WLS, and now after 30+ years I now know what a "HET" is...
post #33 of 41 Old 12-05-2015, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I always wondered about that HUMM on WLS, and now after 30+ years I now know what a "HET" is...
Quote:
MW,

I am a lurker on your board (Buzz), Thank you for all you do to keep that up and running.
I had an account there once about a year ago, and maybe only posted 2-3 times before I couldn't log in again.

I hope you have a great holiday season
Thank you, Bill. That is very gracious of you to say that. I hope you have a very enjoyable holiday season as well!!! I'll reset your password at my board and will send an email to the email address on file in case you wish to post again some day.

I appreciate Dr. Don's suggestion, but it would be impractical to replace my OEM infotainment console, which controls not only my FM/AM radio in the car, but also my SXM radio, bluetooth, USB port and climate settings. (Yes, it's the infamous MyFord Touch! LOL) The premium version - which includes HD radio as well as navigation - would've added something like $1,200 to the total cost of my 36 month lease. I viewed that price tag as excessive, and I really didn't care all that much if I had HD radio & navigation, so I passed.

So, I'll continue to suffer through the crappy 5 kHz analog broadcast on WWJ. I agree with Dr. Don that the fidelity on SXM isn't much better - and on top of that - there can be a lengthy "delay" when listening to sports on SXM.

I also agree with the good doctor that it is more likely than not that we will (still) see Lions football on the FM dial come 2016 - probably on 93.1. I just cannot picture football on a Hot AC that already earns good ratings - although such a move wouldn't be entirely unprecedented (Star 94 in Atlanta aired the Falcons for a couple seasons). In my world, NFL football and Justin Timberlake songs shouldn't air on the same radio station!!! There needs to be a law against that. 93.1 has so-so ratings and even weaker revenue (I feel bad for their program director - he's doing the best job he can with that awful out-of-market morning show he's saddled with). They have nothing to lose by running Lions football and perhaps can bring some fresh ears to the station in the process.

If the games themselves wind up being simulcast on 93.1, the full length pre- & post-game shows will probably air on WJR exclusively, which is fine by me.
billmich likes this.

post #34 of 41 Old 02-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone noticed that the past few days WDVD-HD has been very spotty? All the way from Southfield to Canton it's been locking for a few seconds and dropping over and over. I noticed it last Friday and the issue was still occurring yesterday. No issues at all with analog reception or any other channels that broadcast digitally. Never been an issue before either which leads me to believe that there is some issue at the station. I'm never more that 15 miles from it.

I did notice a few weeks ago that WDTW and WKQI did not broadcast in HD for a few days.
post #35 of 41 Old 02-24-2016, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I could ask, but I imagine it's either the weather system that's been breathing down our throats or the long-term backup mega-transmitter project. If I get by there anytime soon, I'll ask.

Next time, check WYCD analog, too. If it's weather, you'll definitely hear it, there. Doesn't take much to bend 99.5 Chicago or Cleveland down into Detroit. And with YCD at 18kw, it gets slammed pretty easily.

post #36 of 41 Old 02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I could ask, but I imagine it's either the weather system that's been breathing down our throats or the long-term backup mega-transmitter project. If I get by there anytime soon, I'll ask.

Next time, check WYCD analog, too. If it's weather, you'll definitely hear it, there. Doesn't take much to bend 99.5 Chicago or Cleveland down into Detroit. And with YCD at 18kw, it gets slammed pretty easily.
99.5 and 95.5 seem to be the most 'vulnerable' of the regular full powered Detroit FM frequencies, mostly due to the fact that Cleveland also has a full powered station on that frequency and how well signals travel over Lake Erie
DrDon likes this.

Last edited by billmich; 02-25-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #37 of 41 Old 02-25-2016, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Skatingrocker: You typed WDVD and something in my brain registered WXYT.

WDVD and WYCD are far from full-powered stations. DVD is 20kw and WYCD is 18kw. Both stations are on the same frequencies as stations in Chicago, which will cause problems whenever there's a nice weather front around the Great Lakes.

Both stations are on the same antenna, too. So any work on that antenna will cause both stations to have to operate from a backup antenna at a lower elevation.

And, yeah, WYCD has the honor of also fighting with a 99.5 in Cleveland. You get the F-layer of the atmosphere in the right place, and Erie acts like a coax. This is most common a few hours after sunset to a few hours after sunrise. Weather conditions have to be just right for that F-layer to split and crystallize. Hot summer days and extremely cold winter days all contribute to the issue.

post #38 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don,

the way the stations were spaced out back in the day, Chicago and Detroit basically share the same basic metro area FM frequencies
as far as I know, both have 92.3/93.1/93.9/94.7/95.5/96.3/97.1/97.9/98.7/100.3/101.1/101.9/102.7/103.5/104.3/105.1/105.1/106.7 and 107.5

You talk about a couple of the stations power, but lets not forget that HAAT; That can be increased to offset lower power, and vice versa.

Please correct me if anything I said above is incorrect

Last edited by billmich; 02-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #39 of 41 Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Chicago/Detroit's not as big of an issue as Cleveland/Detroit thanks to the lake. Still, tropospheric ducting is always going to cause some interference on same or adjacent-channel stations. The lower the power and/or HAAT, the bigger that issue's going to be. There's a 99.7 Class C in Midland, Michigan that, with the right weather front, gets into Detroit big time. You can't really hear it as WYCD is on 99.5, but it does contribute to the whoosh-whooshing you hear the farther you get from the stick. WUGN's Class C at 100KW. WGAR's Class B at 50Kw. Combine the ducting from a weather front with the reflection off of Erie and you can see why an 18Kw FM in Detroit is going to fall completely apart more than a few miles from its stick. Heck, there were days in the Traveler's tower we couldn't listen off-air. We were up just high enough that Cleveland interfered... and we could see our tower from the control room. Anytime we got kicked off the air, Cleveland came in like a local station. I could hear them in my car overnight when we were down for maintenance.

If you're having trouble with any station, look at the weather and look for same or adjacent frequencies along that front's path and I'll bet you find quite a few.

Take 96.3. WBBM is only 3kw, but its stick is on the Sears Tower with the lake right next to it. WQHH is a 4Kw station in Kazoo. WHNN in Flint/Saginaw is 100Kw at 96.1. WDVD is going to get pounded with the right weather front, especially from WHNN. And, like us, there's nothing they can do. Stuck on the same antenna and at 20kw. Their signal is going to go to pieces anytime there's a disturbance over Lake Michigan or the western part of MI.
billmich and skatingrocker17 like this.

Last edited by DrDon; 02-26-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #40 of 41 Old 02-28-2016, 04:35 PM

I've noticed interesting inference before as well under the right conditions. Last April I was driving home from Perrysburg, Ohio (driving south) and I couldn't get any of the Toledo stations that were only about 15 miles away. 104.7 WIOT (50,000 watts) was a different station, 92.5 WVKS was different, and 97.3 WJZE was a station out of Fort Wayne. I've seen 97.3 WMEE out of Fort Wayne over power 97.3 WJZE many times, even though WJZE was SIGNIFICANTLY closer, it's very low power.
post #41 of 41 Old 03-21-2016, 05:08 PM

As of today I am no longer having issues keeping a lock on the WDVD-FM digital signal. I last checked on Friday and was experiencing the same problem with the it constantly switching in and out of the HD signal. I tested it in Southfield, Detroit, Livonia, Plymouth, and Canton with all the same results so there must have been something going on at the station.

I'm glad it's finally resolved because with the analog and digital constantly switching back and forth it was very annoying to listen to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page