FCC plans for AM include all-digital discussions, digital receiver mandate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2015, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
FCC plans for AM include all-digital discussions, digital receiver mandate

Quote:
Panelists discussed pros and cons of a hypothetical government receiver mandate to hasten market penetration of digital receivers and discussed how much penetration would be necessary before broadcasters would convert to all-digital signals, making analog-only receivers obsolete.
The bigger news, to me, is the reductions in skywave protections. The days of DX-ing may be nearing an end.

http://www.radioworld.com/article/mi...m-plans/275932

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what is your opinion do you think that the fcc will mandate all am stations to go digital?this could happen real soon or in the next year.

Allen bluegras
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Receivers, possibly. Stations, no. There is nothing to be gained by Congress by mandating a digital conversion. I suspect they're going to discuss pattern and power changes along with tower and frequency relocations so that local stations can maintain city-grade signals over their cities of license, regardless of the skywave interference it could cause, elsewhere. If they get the receiver mandate, then we might see some upper-band AMs go full digital. Might see that anyway if there's any money to be made. There are a lot of AMs that don't make a dime, NOW. Find a city where iHeart or Cumulus has a cluster with one non-performing AM and they might try something. You'd need to put a niche format on it that would grab enough affluent listeners to attract advertisers. If I were running such a cluster, I'd probably try an ethnic music/news/sports format based on the market's population. Even then, I'd still go with hybrid mode just to reach the largest number possible.

I guess I'm saying I don't see ANY reason for any AM station to use full-digital mode.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Receivers, possibly. Stations, no. There is nothing to be gained by Congress by mandating a digital conversion. I suspect they're going to discuss pattern and power changes along with tower and frequency relocations so that local stations can maintain city-grade signals over their cities of license, regardless of the skywave interference it could cause, elsewhere. If they get the receiver mandate, then we might see some upper-band AMs go full digital. Might see that anyway if there's any money to be made. There are a lot of AMs that don't make a dime, NOW. Find a city where iHeart or Cumulus has a cluster with one non-performing AM and they might try something. You'd need to put a niche format on it that would grab enough affluent listeners to attract advertisers. If I were running such a cluster, I'd probably try an ethnic music/news/sports format based on the market's population. Even then, I'd still go with hybrid mode just to reach the largest number possible.

I guess I'm saying I don't see ANY reason for any AM station to use full-digital mode.
I agree.....all digital testing has proven not to the answer to AM's issues...MW band has limitations no matter what...but to fix it, requires better RECEIVERS......where the noise can be dealt with..The FCC SHOULD mandate AM stereo with AMAX standards (Noise Blanker in the IF and audio, adaptive bandwidth depending on signal strength and 10kHz notch for whistle reduction in CQUAM reception from adj channel operations) as well as ENFORCE the maximum NOISE levels allowed on the MW AM band..If not ALL of this is implemented, the MW AM band is facing a rough road ahead...digital is NOT the white knight for the band...neither is FM translators..(HTH does that FIX the MW AM BAND??? HUH??? Commissioner Pai is smoking or drinking the kool aid and thinks it works)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
AM is fine with news and talk formats. I doubt any form of analog improvements will bring music back to it. If that were possible, stations would have never abandoned AM stereo.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 143
WBT Charlotte is airing a promo to encourage listeners to sign an online petition to protest these proposed FCC plans that would limit protection for their long distance nighttime signal. 11.10-AM can be heard up and down the East coast at night, "from Maine to Miami." I am consistently disappointed with FCC plans that limit fringe reception of full power stations, especially with all these newly emerging LPFMs and translators.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
following

following

Aperion Verus Forte system with two Outlaw LFM1 subs, Onkyo 809 receiver & a Panasonic Gt50 65" plasma.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
The bigger news, to me, is the reductions in skywave protections. The days of DX-ing may be nearing an end.

http://www.radioworld.com/article/mi...m-plans/275932
I have been interested in digital radio for many years. The first was DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale). The reception was good but not as good as AM, for low signal/noise ratio reception. However, higher signal/noise ratios produced superior sounding quality. I used an QS1R SDR direct sampling receiver with a 16 bit A/D at the front end. A very good high dynamic range receiver, significantly better than any analog radio I have used. It had AM, FM, USB, LSB, DSB, CW, synchronous AM and others. The digital filters are "brick wall" type that can be adjusted symmetrical or custom asymmetrical. The noise blankers and noise reduction provide good enhancement. Some other SDR software packages can provide remarkable noise reduction and impulse reduction. DRM, however may not work well with some of these noise blankers. DRM is a form of ODFM, which is very susceptible to impulse noise degradation.
Most important; for digital to be successful the decoders must be "open source" or atleast a low cost software library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page